Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I was lightly dusting off my navi screen but, a couple of scratches have been made. Very light scratches, which are visible only under specific lighting conditions. The scratches can not be felt. The presence of the scratches are an annoyance when sunlight hits the navi screen just right. Does anybody know how these scratches could be eliminated? Can the navi screen be replaced without replacing the whole factory-installed navi unit?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know for PDA screens a product called Plexus is recommended. I used to use it on my PDA and made the screen silky smooth again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
II kings 9:20 said:
No clue, just think there are those who complain of not having a touch screen, imagine those scratches over a few years.
I have had a touch screen on a Lincoln LS but scratches was not an issue,
as the screen was glass. I prefer a navi system without a touch screen. I have found them less accurate or efficient to use than a navi system that uses a joystick. Joysticks select commands faster and are better to scroll across the map graphics. Selecting a particular location on screen map graphics is better with a joystick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnny Vig said:
Plexus Is The Stuff To Use. Awesome Plastic Polish. They Use It On The Canopy Of The B52, So You Know It's Good!
Nolmscheid and Johnny,

Thanks. Where can you get this Plexus? Auto parts store or some other type of store? Is this a liquid product that is applied to the navi screen?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
What about a type of protectant film, clear, like the Jiffy Lube window peel reminder
I just bought pre-cut smoked protectant film from www.rockblocker.com, it included both headlights and the fogs for $49.95, I'll post when I have it installed. I got some Plexus to clean up the lights prior to the install...

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
aspendog said:
I just bought pre-cut smoked protectant film from www.rockblocker.com, it included both headlights and the fogs for $49.95, I'll post when I have it installed. I got some Plexus to clean up the lights prior to the install...
I had something like this on the Alfa, forum members advised against doing the fogs cause of heat build up blowing bulbs

Is this stuff thin and easy peel that could be put on the Navi screen.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I had something like this on the Alfa, forum members advised against doing the fogs cause of heat build up blowing bulbs

Is this stuff thin and easy peel that could be put on the Navi screen.
I rarely drive w/ the fogs on. It is more for the smoked look for me...

·
Registered
122 Posts
If all else fails, you might try following the instructions in the user’s manual, I paraphrase from the manual; Blow to remove the dust, or use a clean, dry lens cloth, wiping carefully to prevent scratches. To remove a fingerprint, carefully press a piece of Scotch tape on the print and slowly remove. Do not[/B] use any type of cleaning solvent on the display. I’ve followed these instructions and it works!

·
Registered
294 Posts
when they mean ANY they don't mean plexus. :) Its made specifically for this type of thing. But thats there safety in case people try other products. So I do understand why they put it in there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How about that light night infomercial product where they take sand paper to eye glasses. Than they pour on a few drops of the product on the glasses, wipe it with a tissue and voila all the scratches are gone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just saw some Plexus at a camera store, for those interested in picking some up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Johnny Vig said:
Plexus Is The Stuff To Use. Awesome Plastic Polish. They Use It On The Canopy Of The B52, So You Know It's Good!

No experience with Plexus. No idea if it's good or if it's rot.

However..... the fact that it may or may not be used on B52 perspex means one thing and one thing only. If true....all that it means is that it's maker was the lowest bidder on the military contract. Therefore, I would be extremely cautious about using it on my nav screen. Especially as the two materials are completely different anyway.

I would second GaryCampbells' advice. Read your manual....and abide by its' warnings. I have.....with one slight deviation.

If you feel the inescapable burning desire to use something on the screen, do what I did. Run down to your friendly neighbourhood camera store and pick up puffer-brush designed for dusting negatives. Typically they used to be made of very soft camel hair.....these days I am sure it is now synthetic fibres. In either event, if you use it properly (i.e. lightly) it will take dust off of your screen without scratching it.

If you've already scratched it, hopefully you have learned your (albeit very expensive) lesson and won't do it again on the replacement unit.

....sT

·
Registered
294 Posts
guys, that screen is not much different than a laptop screen. Lots of things will clean it well without problems

Plexus is used by a lot of the avation industry for all of the glass. Which is actualyl a plexi type material. It does not degrade the plastic at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like Simon Templar’s idea of using a puffer-brush for cleaning. They typically use a very soft camels hair. Again, back to the users manual; There are two clear messages here. 1) Be very careful while cleaning because the screen scratches easily, and 2) Don’t use any liquid cleaning solvents.
I’m not familiar with Plexus, but the fact that it works on B-52’s does not mean it’s the best solution for us. One of my concerns is this; If it removes scratches, what else does it remove? Specifically, I would be concerned in compromising the ‘Anti-glare’ properties of the screen. If you take a look at the Plexus web site, it mentions that it leaves the surface shinny. If you aren’t concerned about glare, perhaps Plexus is for you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts