Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i had my 300C at the dealer for the trans. O-ring repair, i asked the tech about how did he correct the fluid level with the sealed transmission.
He replied the sealed transmission is simply a plug, we remove the plug and use our dip-stick to check the level. Where can i buy my own dip stick?
This is my first car ever that i cannot check the transmission fluid level and its condition? Will Chrysler/daimler sell me one????? tia...... :nutkick:

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes they will sell you one. However, without knowing what the transmission fluid temp is, it won't do you much good. In the service manual they show a great variance in level depending on temperature.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Jimmy said:
When i had my 300C at the dealer for the trans. O-ring repair, i asked the tech about how did he correct the fluid level with the sealed transmission.
Where did you get the idea the transmission is sealed? It is no more "sealed" than any other automatic transmission; they just didn't give is a dipstick!

The special Miller tool is really nothing more than a glorified universal dipstick for 40 bucks; plus as stated above to use it accurately you need to know the transmission fluid temperature.

SO here's what I did; I went to my local NAPA Store ( ok I was there anyway 'cuz I work there :) ) and got a universal dipstick, part number 813-5113. It has an adjustable collar on the handle end so you can set the effective length by moving that collar and tightening down a set screw. It has "add" and "full" marks on one side, IGNORE THOSE!

With the car COLD (after sitting all night and not being started) I inserted the dipstick with the smooth side (no markings) UP. I made sure I got it in all the way....took some wiggling around and some persistence the first time to make it conform to the dipstick tube.... and then pulled it out and marked the fluid level with a centering punch. Now I have a reference point; of course you have to do this BEFORE you have a tranny problem or a leak, so that you know the fluid level is correct. You can't leave your new "special tool" installed as you would a normal dipstick because the handle is too long; I just hung it on a nail in my garage and put the little plug back in the filler tube.

My plan is to make another mark for the proper fluid level with the car running and up to full operating temperature; and I'm going to experiment a little to see just how much the fluid level fluctuates ( i.e. I'll let it warm up a few minutes and drive around the block and mark that level....then I'll go for a longer drive to get it REALLY warmed up and check it again and see if it's much different) I have not done this yet since my car is basically parked for the winter, but I suspect this transmission is not quite as mysterious as Chrysler makes it sound. I think that as long as the car is at "operating temperature" the transmission fluid level will be consistent, as it is in every other automatic out there. But even if I'm wrong on that, at least I can check it "cold" so that if I find a puddle under my car some morning I can at least check the fluid level cold to see how much was lost and determine if I need to add fluid before driving it to the dealer for repairs!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Kevin, when checking your cold level, is your engine running? If your car isn't running and has been sitting for extended periods the fluid level may slowly rise (this may take several days) due to torque converter drainback.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
arnoldw said:
Kevin, when checking your cold level, is your engine running? If your car isn't running and has been sitting for extended periods the fluid level may slowly rise (this may take several days) due to torque converter drainback.

my car has not been driven for several weeks. I started it and let it run for about 30 minutes a week ago. The mark I made today was with the car cold and not running. But yes, I'm aware that the tranny fluid should be checked with the car running, so I'm going to add 2 additional marks on my dipstick; I'll start the car and let it run for a couple minutes and mark that level, then drive it and get it up to full operating temperature and mark that level as well. It's just that it will probably be awhile til I put her on the road again so I won't be able to get the "full operating temp" reading til then. Basically I'm going to end up with a "full-cold" mark and a "full-hot" mark, just like every other automatic transmission dipstick has. But realistically, one mark should suffice, and it woudln't really matter whether got that reference point with the tranny cold or hot, as long as you check it the same way every time. I just want a range from cold to hot so that I can check it either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts