Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there... I have experience with Image Dynamics ID12v3 and I like the way they sounded, very detailed with nice impact (even at low volume) etc, but I have upgraded my sub amp and looking to put more power to my subs. I have 450w rms x2 at 4ohms, or 750w rms x2 at 2ohms to play with. It is a rockford T1000-1bd. (birthsheet says 894w rms x1 at 4ohms, and 1536w rms x1 at 2ohms)
I really like my amp and not looking to change that part of my setup. I am currently running 2 RE-sex12's at 2ohms and I do NOT like how they sound. They are loud for rap type slow bass music, but don't have much in the way of impact or detail especially at low to mid volume. They are all Boom with not much of the tight gut kicking impact and detail that I'm seeking. The lower power handling ID12v3 sounded much better than the RE's for my particular musical tastes which are fast deep articulate bass. I can spend $175-275'ish per sub. I am considering the IDQ12v3 subs unless someone else chimes in with something comparable? My only hang up with the ID subs is that I was NOT at all impressed with the build quality of the ID12v3 that I had before, they sounded great, but build quality was severely lacking. Super thin basket material, and magnet cover was a joke.

Any experience from someone who thinks they have an idea of what I mean by real and articulate sounding bass would be appreciated. No Rockfords, or Kickers, or even JL w3's.. they are not in the same league as what I'm talking about. Thinking more along the lines of SSA, TCsounds etc... nothing too crazy like morel ultimos or anything...

Thank you much in advance for any suggestions! Must stay sealed and .90-1.25cu ft volume. Must stay in the $175-275'ish per sub range as well. Think DETAILED bass, not overall loudness etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, 69 views and not a single suggestion for a good sound quality sub??

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I'd suggest Acoustic Elegance. Their stuff can be deep, while maintaining nice crisp sound. My buddy has a set of RE-SEX 15's being pushed by a Cadence F1200, and that setup thuds at high volume and is still very clean at low levels, so perhaps our tastes differ in that regards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking for others to chime in as well? The problem I have with my RE-sex's is that they sound like a Thud-Thud type of bass note with fast bass, instead of a Bap-Bap slap to your head/gut with fast bass... I know it sounds silly to try to describe a subs bass note with words like that, but hopefully it helps. I like the tight articulate detailed notes that can be distinguished on guitar low bass lines, versus just a blurring boom-boom one note sound... does that make any sense to someone? Like I said, I liked the way my ID12v3 sounded, but I'm hesitant to buy the IDQ12v3 from image dynamics because the build quality of the ID12v3 was pretty sub-par... I also don't know if the IDQ12v3 will handle it's rated 750rms... I can run my amp at 500w rms at 4ohm, or 750rms at 2ohm per sub... I suppose I could go with the IDQ and run it a 4ohms but then I'm afraid overall volume will suffer too...

Still open to others suggestions for a good SQ subwoofer under $300 12" ...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The other thing is a smaller sub may be better to hit those a little crisper. I've found that the slim versions of subs are better for that fast action and less thudding. Yes, I actually know what you mean by that =p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions... I ended up going with a set of ARC "blacks" their top of the line. A little spendy, but was told by a couple of people that they sound better than IDQ subs in their opinion, and I like image dynamics, so I figured I would give them a try. Will post update once installed. Also considering doing them in an IB setup under the rear deck which I've never tried before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts