Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the new supercharged Hilux? I'm not really into work utes but am interested in all cars generally. Saw one today (red) and it looked awesome. Sounded good under load too.

Anyone driven one? I wonder want the potential is for power upgrades...Dynosteve?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the idea of them but the top model SL on the road will be nudging 70k..ouch
Is the motor beefed up internally ?...if not then i would think the power is at the limit or close to it

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
A Jap ute :puke:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hilux is a good ute, most tradesmen swear by it. But I don't see the point of getting a TRD Hilux which is not that practical for work, nor it can outruns those Falcon/Commodore performance utes. I like my current Mazda V6 4.0 Automatic Freestyle ute but it drinks too much. Over 15 litres per 100 km. With the petrol price at $1.55 for unleaded today, building costs aren't getting any cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
:nono: Now, Now John. What about a remake - an El Japino ute? :biggrin:
:laughing: I was waiting for someone to tell me off for my comment, but James was just too well mannered :pokey:

Maybe CAMINO San?

FYI, here are a couple of famous (????) quotes about a serious Ute.

"Randy! He drives an El Freakin' Camino! That's like the Cadillac of cars!"
Earl Hickey

"EL Camino, that's Spanish for THE Camino"
Jackie ???

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Hemi57", I am just showing my respects to the elders....Heeeeeeeee. Really the Japanses cars/utes are very very good and reliable, especially Toyota. Guess we can't argue with it as Toyota is top sellling brand.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
300C-CRD, there you go again :nono:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :laughing:

Toyota = Frig (excitement factor)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I read the TRD has drum rear brakes. Did you guys know that?

I read an article in today's Melbourne Age Drive section and no mention. Only mention on the brakes was bigger front discs.

Good to see Toyota's performance section not bothering with a serious brake upgrade and still using the rear brake technology I love (WB Ute & El Camino) :laughing:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read the TRD has drum rear brakes. Did you guys know that?

I read an article in today's Melbourne Age Drive section and no mention. Only mention on the brakes was bigger front discs.

Good to see Toyota's performance section not bothering with a serious brake upgrade and still using the rear brake technology I love (WB Ute & El Camino) :laughing:
Yes John, seems you are correct. Their "performance braking package" consists of front 4 piston ventilated discs and rear drums!!! :pat:

My 69 Val with it's "160hp high performance" engine had 4 wheel drums and no power steering. Now THAT was a car!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think you will find all PROPER 1 tonne capacity based utes (anything with a full chasis) will have rear drums... i went through them all a few years back when looking to replace a tonner and the only ones available with discs were the falcon and the commodore, both of which aren't true tonners. true tonners are rated to carry 1.25 tonne as a cab chasis, the falcon and commodores are both 1 tonne as a cab chasis... i bought the falcon, upgraded the springs and loved it. the hilux looks awesome, but it is just under engineered, brakes, interior... could do with a v8 too! lol...

·
Registered
55 Posts
test drove one today, wasnt that impressed. though it would have a bit more go than it had. And at 71k not great value

1 - 14 of 14 Posts