Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpt from MSN Autos:

"Chrysler also announced a partnership with DUB to offer Mopar DUB Edition Performance Parts and Accessories for the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum. Mopar DUB Edition parts include a chrome package, sill plates, lowering springs, a three-inch performance exhaust, floor mats, and a special-edition Jacob and Co. diamond-studded clock for the Chrysler 300C."

Full story here...
http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4022786&s=SEMA2004&src=minishow

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is true, Dealers are going to be getting some information regarding this on Monday in their dealer mail. Should be interesting to see what they have planned for us. To bad they are not going to offer the 22" wheels though. Good info, and good find.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh wow "Jacob & Co Diamond clock". I can't wait to see what DUB puts out, it should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As if the 300c wasnt big enough with the hip hop crowd, we add Jacob the Jeweler to the mix.

Great. The only DUB stickers I see around LA are on 1987 Astrovans... Dub has created a whole new generation of poseurs. The Dub hype will die out eventually I just hope the 300c doesnt have to be a victim. :(

For only $19.95 you can look like everyone else! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a chicago native, I have first hand knowledge hosting many afterhours parties to the hip hop, street racing, rice burner, and so forth people. My nightclub was the only recognized after hours party for Hot Import Night CHICAGO this year. I feel that this was mainly due to my interest in expressing that this new niche in the consumer market that needs to be recognized and often loves to live a lavish lifestyle. Now, you may feel that the "dub" era is over and played out in SoCal, then what is the hot thing I ask?
I know I have been at almost every car show in the chicagoland area for the past three years and can't name many other companies that have touched so many car lovers. I believe that "dub magazine etc..." assisted in the opening of the door to the rap/hip hop way of life into various levels of the population across the board...
Cmon...Rap/hip hop has been hot for the past few years, if not longer.
The whole way of life surrounding rap/hip hop has often shaped so many different aspects of our culture that you have to be ignorant not to agree with me on some level. It's in every media outlet, taught in school, brought up by our governement elected leaders, sold to consumers in all forms, and often in simple discourse as such, we compose our thoughts with rap/hip hop as a blind influence...

Carpe diem...
Tu es leno pater et deus...

dave
chicago

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is true, Dealers are going to be getting some information regarding this on Monday in their dealer mail. Should be interesting to see what they have planned for us. To bad they are not going to offer the 22" wheels though. Good info, and good find.
Thanks Ted and welcome to the forum!
Rogue, I hear ya, believe me... just sharing the info.

scandaloustrick said:
(partially quoted)...The whole way of life surrounding rap/hip hop has often shaped so many different aspects of our culture... and often in simple discourse as such, we compose our thoughts with rap/hip hop as a blind influence...
No disrespect scandaloustrick, but I assure you I don't compose my thoughts with a rap/hip hop influence, blindly or knowingly. Ironically, as I read your post I was simultaneously watching the news when they broke in with a flash about a stabbing and ensuing near-riot during a Rap/Hip Hop awards show here in Santa Monica, CA. If this is 'shaping aspects of our culture' I think we can all do without it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dave,

I hope that you're not the guy that owned the Hip hop/rap club in Chicago that so many people died in not to long ago?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can't really look at one incident and cast a shadow over the whole culture. The bottom line is that the hip hop culture is making millions upon millions of dollars and in many ways is a trend setter for any new product such as cars.

Prefect explain would be the 300C, its a success with a younger age group that Chrysler didn't have in mind and imo its because of the hip hop culture that the sales for the 300C have increased for the younger market. If you can increase sales for the younger market that means you've hit gold. You have rappers pretty much showcasing your cars in there music videos and at music events. And because of that Chrysler is making sure they keep these buyers and make more money by signing on Dub.

·
Registered
515 Posts
scandaloustrick said:
I wonder what are the details for the "dub" chrome package...

dave
chicago
As soon as we can get the details, I will let you all know. We did hear that there were possibly going to be a couple different packages. Ones was to dress up a base model 300 with the 300C chrome styling. Also they said something about lowered suspension components, new grille style, dual exhaust kit, and more.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The magazine is about automotive culture and celebrities. It just happens that Hip Hop artists are generally heavily involved in automotive culture, so it has crossed over into a Hip Hop culture/Automotive crossbreed. Regardless, There isn't a doubt in my mind that DUB has been a major contender in the aftermarket arena nor made a huge contribution to automotive lifestyles. But in all honesty, the magazine is just an overgrown version of MTV cribs for cars.

Chris Rock said it best in his latest standup.
We put rims worth thousands of dollars on any piece of shit car. **** we’ll put rims on anything- we’d even put rims on a toaster if we could- “Those are 20 inch rims on my toaster biaatch!”
Dub magazine has a lot to do with encouraging that sort of automotive styling, not that there's anything wrong with it. If someone wants to put $3000 in wheels and tires on a $1200 Celica GT by all means feel free. But the moment a Dub emblem is slapped on the side (all too common here), Dub magazine sort of loses its exclusive feel.

I guess it all boils down to the old saying "Nothing cool is sacred".

You can find Dub Magazine Floor Mats in the Pep Boys/Autozone Aisle right next to the Chrome Ladies, Fake Cell Phone antennas, Reflective Chrome Tape, Vinyl Flames and LED Neon Underbody kits.

I think DUB needs to grab ahold of their brand name and keep its Celebrity Baller status intact. I just wish they would focus on a different car for now. :D Perhaps the SUVs? :p DUB has built a great empire, I just think that if they want to give off that exclusive celebrity feel, they need to keep the reigns tight on their brand name, image, and products.

In a way it reminds me of West Coast Customs. They do amazing work, I have some friends that got suspension work dont back before they blew up. They started doing Pimp My ride, and while they are rich and got TONS of publicity for putting fishtanks and waterfalls in cars, not as many celebrities are likely to return. I'm sure they have tons of Pimp My ride fans asking for LCD installs, but they lost a majority of their exclusive feel. There are tons of custom automotive shops here in the Socal area for people to choose from, and many still have that exclusive appeal. 310 Motoring, CEC, and countless indepenent shops...

(On a totally offtopic note, I saw the blue Mustang they did on pimp my ride in person on the street one day, and was BLOWN AWAY by how much orange peel the paint had. Horrible....)

Some people might say any publicity is good publicity. I disagree when you want an exclusive, rich celebrity image.You have to maintain tight control over your name. Ferrari is a company that knows how to maintain their image. They wouldn't even sell you a new F40 F50 or Enzo without pre-approving you on a list by the factory. They want to maintain their exclusive image and have done an amazing job obviously.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
300Con23s said:
You can't really look at one incident and cast a shadow over the whole culture. The bottom line is that the hip hop culture is making millions upon millions of dollars and in many ways is a trend setter for any new product such as cars.

Prefect explain would be the 300C, its a success with a younger age group that Chrysler didn't have in mind and imo its because of the hip hop culture that the sales for the 300C have increased for the younger market. If you can increase sales for the younger market that means you've hit gold. You have rappers pretty much showcasing your cars in there music videos and at music events. And because of that Chrysler is making sure they keep these buyers and make more money by signing on Dub.
I've formed my own opinion, hopefully as we all do, not based on one incident but collective information. Any shadow cast was not cast by me, I don't write those lyrics. There is no denying they make millions and we have to applaud their success... after all, it's the American Way. The 50's rock & roll, British explosion and Disco had similar influences and they have all but died out. Some of us may be woeful about that and some may feel that means there's still hope for the same outcome for this genre. What we, in this forum, can all agree on is the good taste in cars... at least before the ride gets 'pimped'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts