Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GANG,

ok, I've been doing my research about towing with the SRT8, and still trying to get some real numbers to go off of.

First of all, PLEASE do not reply with "why would you tow anything with the SRT8", or anything similar. I would like constructive help, not criticism. I cannot stress this enough, I've seen other posts and that seems to be a running theme. I get it. However not all of us can afford a second vehicle or even want one, just for towing.

This is my idea/plan/desire:

I want to get the Mopar Hitch installed on my 2007 300c SRT8, and use it to tow around a small-ish caravan (trailer camper, whatever you want to call it, I'm not sure). I have recently rented out my home, and I want to full-time it in various cities while working my gigs. I would only tow it when moving from one RV park or campground to another. Maybe once or twice a month, not daily, not often.

I would likely get a 20 foot or so caravan, which would have living quarters in it, basically an RV but a trailer version. I'm trying to get some fairly accurate numbers with regards to the max tongue weight and overall trailer weight. I've seen posts of people hauling some pretty heavy weights around, and from what I've read the hitch is rated for 3800lbs on certain 300 models (AWD? 5.7?). Also stated is a 2000lb max and 200 tongue weight.

I'm aware there are no real hard numbers available as it's "not reccommended" for the SRT8 to tow. However we all know it can do it. Anyone who HAS EXPERIENCE in this regard please let me know.

Main questions:

1. What is the max trailer weight and tongue weight (realistically, not just what is officially stated with the Mopar hitch) (this affects the overall length of the trailer and the amenities)
2. Should I look for a trailer with it's own brakes ?? (I know we have great brakes but anything to reduce the strain
3. Transmission ?? Seems like it would hold up fine, I'm at 70,000 miles right now and am about to do the fluid replacement on the tranny.

I know this is against the normal thinking of the use of our vehicles, but I tend to walk my own path in life and think outside the box. From the research and OLD info I've found on this forum and others, it seems the SRT8 should be able to handle significant weight.

I'm not trying to break my car. I plan on keeping this car FOREVER. It is my baby for sure. I'm aware there could be some risks, but it seems minor considering the build quality and capabilities of our engines, trannys, and suspension components.

That said, it would be amazing to be able to just book my gigs out in advance, and go from city to city, living in the trailer, and having my car available to get around town in style. It also would DEF attract attention, which is not a bad thing when you are an entertainer like myself.

I BELIEVE THIS IS POSSIBLE SO ANY HELPFUL AND INSIGHTFUL INFORMATION SOME OF YOU MIGHT HAVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

This forum is the bomb and if the general consensus is it can be done for my purposes, then I will go ahead with it and document everything !

Otherwise I'm just gonna get an RV.....(then I got no car to get around in)

PEACE Y'ALL :cool:

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
My thoughts are if you don't exceed the towing capacities published for the 300C you should be fine. You may need to add some form of rear anti-sway hitch for a tow behind and you may need some sort of a supplemental load leveling device on the hitch end of the trailer.

However, and I must stress this no matter how much you don't want to read it. OEM specifications say you can tow 1,000 lbs with a 300C. Some would say given the engine torque & HP, you should be able to tow 3800 pounds. However, these calculations DO NOT take into account your suspension, which has to no only keep the weight in control, it has to keep the bumper from dragging. Lastly, these calculations DO NOT take into account the frame loads you would subject the car to. The most you should tow with it is a small utility trailer with a tongue weight of less than 200 pounds and an overall capacity of 1,000 pounds. Even at that, you are stressing the car.

It is NOT RECOMMENDED for several good reasons and regardless of what you want to do, it still doesn't change the facts.

You say it's your baby. Well, you will break your baby if you insist on towing a travel trailer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Perhaps you should have a look in the Aussie section to see what you can tow with these vehicles. Down here large F truck and Ram style pickups are not readily available so we have a long tradition of towing stuff behind the family sedan.

Here are the Mopar apporved towing capacites for our export models, straight off the sticker in the car (in kg, not lbs for reference):

So you can easily tow an unbraked trailer up to 750kg (1650 lbs) and if you want to go to the higher limits then you need a trailer with it's own supplemental braking system.

If you have too much download on the hitch itself, not only do you risk damaging things structurally in the back of the car, but it also tends to unload the front wheels leading to instability. You can get load sharing style hitches to improve your stability.

One of our Aussie members has done a lot of caravan towing with his 300C diesel.

I have had this behind my SRT8 without any issues:

Around 4000 lbs in total for the car and trailer. I have also towed this configration behind the 3.5 V6 petrol engine without any issues either.

Now, for some reason Chrysler Australia doesn't allow towing behind the second gen SRT8 down here but you can still tow behind the lesser models, this is a subject of much debate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just keep in mind that if ANYTHING happens while towing and they find that you exceeded the tow rating of your car in THIS country then you will likely be liable for any damages. No matter how good of a driver you are you're bound to meet someone that can't drive even an automatic civic without issues.

This is a perfect example as to why I love my '96 Impala. It's a full-frame car and rated at 5000lbs.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes, over here you would have to bend over and take it where the sun doesn't shine if you have an accident while overloaded, but as you can see above we do have a fairly decent legal towing capacity with the 300. The thing you do need to keep in mind with a caravan is that it is not just the weight of the van you need to think of, but also all of the crap you are going to cart around inside it, which can substantially increase that weight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thoughts are if you don't exceed the towing capacities published for the 300C you should be fine. You may need to add some form of rear anti-sway hitch for a tow behind and you may need some sort of a supplemental load leveling device on the hitch end of the trailer.

However, and I must stress this no matter how much you don't want to read it. OEM specifications say you can tow 1,000 lbs with a 300C. Some would say given the engine torque & HP, you should be able to tow 3800 pounds. However, these calculations DO NOT take into account your suspension, which has to no only keep the weight in control, it has to keep the bumper from dragging. Lastly, these calculations DO NOT take into account the frame loads you would subject the car to. The most you should tow with it is a small utility trailer with a tongue weight of less than 200 pounds and an overall capacity of 1,000 pounds. Even at that, you are stressing the car.

It is NOT RECOMMENDED for several good reasons and regardless of what you want to do, it still doesn't change the facts.

You say it's your baby. Well, you will break your baby if you insist on towing a travel trailer.
MADDOG thanks for your input and opinion. However, other than the frame loads you speak of, shouldn't those other issues be minimized by maybe changing out the rear suspension ?? Springs and shocks from the 5.7 version ?? A trailer with electric brakes should also reduce the stress on the frame.

I just don't believe there is enough hard evidence to support the statement that I will break my baby if I insist on towing a travel trailer. I'm a realistic person and not a kid who "doesn't want to hear it".

This is why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

What are the specs on our frames ?? Our frames versus the "full-frame" Impala's that could tow 5,000 lbs ??

Thanks guys keep it positive !!!! Sure are a lot of Aussie guys towing heavy loads

:beerchug:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this video out

JAGUAR towing Airstream 300C Towing Airstream Freestar - YouTube

check out the 300 it's the second car towing that huge airstream.

Regardless of what model we have, the frames are all pretty much the same right ???? I'm sure the rear suspension would need some modifying as the SRT8 springs and shocks are made for performance and not towing, whereas the 300C has different springs and shocks.

I'm aware that I would need to keep the weight down with the stuff in the trailer as well. (DUH)

But really though other than the bumps in the road the 300 looks pretty agile towing that airstream......

:fing02:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Frankly the rear shocks on an SRT8 are Nivomats that self level hydraulically so the tongue weight should not be a huge issue as long as it was reasonable. We have no "frame" but we do have a unibody stiffer than a 911, so the car's structure will hold up fine. Plenty of power, the trans cooler would be my first change out or add on as the fluid temps may spike a bit.

Your only worry is the lawyers. Even a minor accident could get ginned up to a pretty good case if your owners manual won't back you up!

Reactions: FASTINFLORIDA

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Maybe you can buy the Australian towbar and attach the matching factory approval sticker. Of course it complies with Australian Design Rules (ADRs), which may mean nothing to your DOT.

You should not need to make any changes to your rear suspension, that is part of what the towball weight limit is about, you need your trailer fairly well balanced with only a small bias to the front. You might notice in my car trailer picture that I don't load the car all the way to the front of the trailer to maintain a more balanced load.

PS: You would be surprised how many people have no idea how much extra weight the add with all of the crap they stow inside their caravans.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
JAGUAR towing Airstream 300C Towing Airstream Freestar - YouTube

check out the 300 it's the second car towing that huge airstream.

Regardless of what model we have, the frames are all pretty much the same right ???? I'm sure the rear suspension would need some modifying as the SRT8 springs and shocks are made for performance and not towing, whereas the 300C has different springs and shocks.

I'm aware that I would need to keep the weight down with the stuff in the trailer as well. (DUH)

But really though other than the bumps in the road the 300 looks pretty agile towing that airstream......

:fing02:
CanAm RV is in London Ontario, they used to have a 300 hooked to a 26' airstream at all times.. pulled it no problems with an eazy lift hitch setup and a good hitch sway bar,.your video is if that... for almost 4 years while I was in college I pulled RV's for a manufacturer to dealer delivery company, pulled more than you can shake a stick at... my honest view is that you will be able to pull with no real problems with the SRT, it has the brawn and with the right suspension in it (get rid of nivomats) it will do just fine. Get a good hitch and don't scrimp and a good sway bar setup.

Now...frame tolerances etc are your worry... without a full frame you stand a real risk of some issues, also the US rated capacities ate what matters, not the rest of the world... If you wreck and I determine you were over towing capacity and caused damage or injuries, cooks be bracelets depending on circumstances. Be cautious there..Be even more cautious of the FL DOT, you better have some documentation proving your towing capabilities.

As for your future mods... forget a stall converter and turbos...different application and between part throttle boost and rocketing EGT's and slipping converters...you car will hate you!

Bottom line, 300 SRT's are not for towing, does it mean they can't, couldn't answer you 100% but I'd say sure they 'can', just not sure i would. If your doing a traveling lifestyle for awhile why not move on to a towing vehicle and come back to the SRT when you're ready? Plus honestly..living in an airstream sucks and the bigger tow behind quality RV's tow like bricks! Definitely look for a featherlite frame!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts