Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05' RWD 300c with 14,500 miles. Great car, no problems, all I have had done are oil changes and tire rotations. The "Dealers Service Menu" suggested a full tune-up at 12,000 miles along with a host of other items for over 400 bucks. Has anyone had their spark plugs changed or performed this type of overahul at 12k?:eek1:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Follow the 2005 Maintenance Logbook you got with your car.
During the first 30,000 miles the Logbook Schedule B only recommends minor maintenance such as oil/filter changes, engine air cleaner filters, air conditioning filter, and general inspections and tire rotations.
It says to change the plugs at 30,000 miles / 30 months.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My dealership agreed with me that the A schedule (6 months / 6000 miles) is appropriate for my car. With synthetic oil they agreed that it was still very conservative.

Actually many people do qualify for the A schedule even with cars that use dino oil. Do you drive the car more than 10 miles to work, not primarily thru stop and go traffic? Do you not live in Alaska or the desert? Then you probably meet the requirements. But nevertheless the dealership here (Connecticut) suggests that everyone who uses dino oil should have it changed on the B schedule.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put in 16 bosch platinum 4 spark plugs at 30000; seems to idle a little better.
Ive changed the cabin filter a few times. been using mobil 1

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
notorius

dealers are notorius for selling unneeded services. Read the manual and follow the recommendations in it. This will result in optimum service life for your car.

Remember that 3000 mile oil change interval? That was invented at Jiffy Lube!

·
Registered
701 Posts
stevesrt8 said:
dealers are notorius for selling unneeded services. Read the manual and follow the recommendations in it. This will result in optimum service life for your car.

Remember that 3000 mile oil change interval? That was invented at Jiffy Lube!
I don't doubt it. But the manual for the SRT-8 recommends synthetic oil changes every 3000 or 6000 miles, the same intervals as for engines with dino oil. Meanwhile Benz puts up its onboard service indicators about every 10,000 miles and reportedly BMW goes almost 15,000 between oil changes.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. I think the SRT-8 service manual is overzealous in recommend oil changes, because for some people (say everyone in Arizona) it specifies them every 3000 miles. But I'm following the requirements because for me it's a less ridiculous 6000 miles, because perhaps these engines are slightly less bulletproof than Benz and BMW engines, and because I want to stay in warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts