Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has this happened to anyone else besides myself? It happened on my way out to pick up a few things from Home Depot. It happened three times straight as I was sitting in the garage, twice with my keys in my pocket and once outside of my pocket. Once I left Home Depot It didn't happen again...strange.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had this happen to me shortly after I took delivery of my 2011 Chrysler 300 Limited last summer. I was having an issue with the car not unlocking when I grabbed the door handle. It turns out there was a flash software update for my car called the Body Control Module (Flash Software updated from 04692307AK to 04692307AL) update. So, I'd check to be sure you have all the latest software updates.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this happen to me shortly after I took delivery of my 2011 Chrysler 300 Limited last summer. I was having an issue with the car not unlocking when I grabbed the door handle. It turns out there was a flash software update for my car called the Body Control Module (Flash Software updated from 04692307AK to 04692307AL) update. So, I'd check to be sure you have all the latest software updates.

I'll bring it up tomorrow when I go to the dealership for my appt. Thanks Dave.

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
RF interference? I've noticed some radar detector interference when driving by big automatic doors at home centers, malls, etc...

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
Oh...it happened at the house and Home Depot. Never mind, it aint' the door transmitters.

Check your key fob battery.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only happened at home and when I left Home Depot and since then it hasn't happened again. I'm still going to try and get them to replace the battery on the fob just to be safe.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's a standard coin battery, and designed to be owner replaced, so it's no risk to check yourself. Remove the mechanical key from the fob using the spring loaded release slider, use a large flat head screwdriver to pop the two halves apart using the slot just above the mechanical key insert slot, remove the battery, test it with a meter, and pick up a good Duracell battery at the local drug store, if necessary. It's trivial to check, and/or replace the battery, and will save you the visit to the dealership, unless you're there for another reason. There's no risk to unpairing the fob from the car, if that's what concerns you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you find out what software you have. Because my wife's car is oing the samething. The remote key works when you hit the button. But it wont lock or unlock with the door handle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry, those are the versions that my dealer reported after doing the updates. I don't know how to check using the Uconnect interface.

Your dealer should be able to plug into your computer and check for you, however.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Passive Entry Setting

Another thought occurred to me. Make sure your Passive Entry feature is on. Go to the + soft key on the lower right corner of your screen, then to the Doors & Locks setting, and be sure the Passive Entry setting is checked. See pages 291-294 of your owner's manual for details (page 293 for Passive Entry).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Dave. My passive entry is on and I've noticed that It happens with both fobs and it only happens in the garage. My garage is pretty small so that may have something to do with it. This is a recent occurance as I just moved into my new place on the 21st.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you've narrowed it down to a single location, that generally argues for RF interference. I leave my car unlocked in my garage. If you can open your trunk by pushing the trunk mounted button, the car's receiver is detecting your fob. The trunk won't respond to the external button, even if the car is unlocked, without the fob detection. Presumably, you can also start your car in the garage by pressing the start button, which also wouldn't happen if the fob weren't being detected. So, if you can open your trunk and start your car, the car can detect the fob. The next question is the sensors in the door handles themselves. I believe there was a batch of door handles over a year ago that had to be replaced. I seem to recall some sort of electrical issue in the handle itself. But, the kicker is the locality of the issue, to your garage, which points back to local interference, indicating the strength/complexity of the link is the issue.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got back from the dealership and I got my M10 recall done and they gave me a new key fob because they determined that it was being intermittent like told them it was being. I still have to get my wifes fob replaced too but that won't happen until the next oil change (3k miles from now)

Now we'll see if the "Service Keyless System" message pops up again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's happening again. Except this time its happening every time I turn the car on. My wife even left the car with the keys, came back and gave them to me, and the "key has left vehicle" message stayed on the evic. I was doing 60 with that message on the entire time until I turned the car off.

I know it wasnt the safest thing to do, but for my own evidence, I took a picture of the message while I was driving hence why its blurry.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Two possibilities come to mind. First thought is they messed up pairing the new key fob, and it affected your wife's old fob pairing. Second idea, the issue remains with the car itself, the central transceiver computer in the trunk. Make sure they confirm they've checked you have the latest firmware installed on that computer, and that the issue is not with the sensor in the door handles, which caused problems for many early last year. There was a period of time when they were actually physically replacing the door handles, which had an electrical grounding issue.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I just got back from the dealership and I got my M10 recall done and they gave me a new key fob because they determined that it was being intermittent like told them it was being. I still have to get my wifes fob replaced too but that won't happen until the next oil change (3k miles from now)

Now we'll see if the "Service Keyless System" message pops up again.
Why in the world are you changing your oil every 3000 miles? Take a look at the car maintenance schedules, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Why in the world are you changing your oil every 3000 miles?.

Personal Preference obviously. I change mine between 3-4 k on all my vehicles, don't care if the maintenance schedule says it can go longer.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
We have had "the key has left the vehicle" issue multiple times, as well as the alarm going off randomly with our 2011 Grand Cherokee.

I believe that the GC has the same entry system as the new LX vehicles, including the 2011-12 300's.

3 trips to the dealer, where they replaced fob batteries, etc. and did not cure the problem.

A little bit of digging on my part, discovered that there is a computer software issue that is corrected by the dealer (under warranty) with software flashes (updates).

I just had those done last week. Everything is working fine now with both fobs and both drivers - Sally and me.

Hope this helps . . .

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the suggestions fellas! No, I don't have the oil changed every 3k, its just that the car has 3k miles to go before its due for one ;)

I'll take the car back to the dealer when my wife has a day off from work and make sure to have them check the software on the Keyless system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts