Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please excuse my newness, but i read on here somewhere, that one of you shaved the control arm, for tire rubbing issues. could you please chime in...

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
O Stress said:
please excuse my newness, but i read on here somewhere, that one of you shaved the control arm, for tire rubbing issues. could you please chime in...
that's a BIG No No, IMO. Unless you are just going to flatbed your 300 to the car shows. In which case, you can just chop the whole damn thing off!!!

BTW, O Stress, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i chatted with the service department about this as well... he says just taking a couple mills off, shouldn't hurt it. but would void the warranty on the suspension. and it wasn't something i would have done, just curious that someone else did.. and thanks for the welcome.............

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Northern Rider said:
that's a BIG No No, IMO. Unless you are just going to flatbed your 300 to the car shows. In which case, you can just chop the whole damn thing off!!!

BTW, O Stress, welcome to the forum.
I truly agree with you. I too was recommended this particular option by the co-owner of a renown custom shop here in the area...they also specialize in custom tires/wheels as well. He claims that it's a common practice with all of the 300 series which he's equipped with 20" and larger tires/wheels...to keep them from rubbing. [I'm yet to see one modified 300 series on the road in my area, so I'm not sure where these might be.] From my own professional experience, if there's a rubbing problem, then that also means that there's definitely something wrong. Simply incorrectly modifying something, let alone front-end suspension parts, is in no way an accurate solution to the problem. Needless to say, this company won't be touching my 300 series nor any of my other vehicles for any reason whatsoever. What's even scarier if the fact that this guy is actually being utilized by local media as their so-called tire/wheel/vehicle service 'expert'...scary!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, here is what i can't figure. the hurst addition is running 22x10 front and back, with an 11.4 inch wide tire. granted its on a c model, so i don't know if the suspension is different. but the dealer says its the same control arm. taking a good look at the photos, the wheels do not appear to extend out past the fenders. now i am runnin 20x10 wheels front and back, my tire width is 11.6 wide, and the front extends out past the fender a good 3/4 inch. i have a +15 rim, and without two shims on the wheel, the tire would hit the control arm. so, how did they make the wheels work on the hurst edition?

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
i beleive the wheels on larrys hurst SEMA car are from oasis wheels , you can call them and see what they did , but i just bet its a typo , because ive read articles on it saying it had 24"x 10 on it...media people dont know the diff between 20" and 22" or even 27" for that matter, so dont go shaven anything yet... lol i should be the one to talk right...?

tommy z
had 27"S made new spindles and then figured out how insane i was and got 22"s....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
To echo other comments, don't shave critical suspension components, find a set of wheels and tires that work. Shaving the control arms may bring the angel of death far sooner than you had hoped at least you might wind up riding in a 300 hearse. "The prudent see danger and take refuge, the simple keep going and suffer for it" Prov. 27:12

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
O Stress said:
That was me that had to grind the arm. I took about 4 mm off in a small spot where the 285/30/22 tires were rubbing (I have +15 offset on 22x9.5 wheels). You can not even tell anything was done after a bit of flat black paint was sprayed. I don't understand how people think that this can hurt anything. It is 4mm! I bet the OEM tolerances are more than that for a cast piece or better yet even something they would check. It is not like the arm was heated up with a torch or took a plasma cutter to it. It was simple grinding with an angle grinder. I guarantee the dealer will never know let alone void any warranty.

But then again this is something you will have to do if you want to have the widest tire possible. You sometimes have to modify things to raise the cool factor :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for tommyz.. prec-i-date the info... but the factor i'm trying to get around is the 10'' rim part. weather its a +15 or +18, its gonna hit the control arm. i'll have to contact dodgeboy to see what they did with the suspension.. tell me, what is the difference in the stock suspension between 300c and 300 ?how did chrysler lower the 300c.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for aspendog... i figured oem tolerances, as well would be slightly heavy, but i'm gonna hold out till no options left, before i break out the grinder...the aftermarket just isn't moving fast enough for these cars................

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
415_300C said:
are you actually grinding the arm, or the bolt that hang down?
I did the arm a few mm, my tires did not even come close to the bolt and are the closest thing available to the OEM diameter. 285/30/22

1 - 12 of 12 Posts