Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience/ideas/thoughts on shaving the side view mirrors and replacing them with, say, video cameras?

(example - shave off the side view mirrors, and replace them with a set of externally mounted cameras, with LCDs inside the cabin).

Haven't tried photoshopping what it would look like. Just curious as to whether anyone else had thought about this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not sure what that would look like, but hey give it a go.

(The last thing I would want while "spirited" driving is my "mirrors" failling.)

Keep us posted on your findings.

You might want to check with the DMV in your state for a ruling on this setup.

How about just adding the cameras and lcds?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it's illegal to run without a left side view mirror in NY state:

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment

Also of note is the difference in wording from the rear view requirement to the side view requirement. The wording for rear view seems to allow more flexibility (emphasis is mine):

"...shall be equipped with a mirror or other reflecting device so adjusted that the operator of such vehicle shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such vehicle."

Unfortunately, it just indicates "mirror" for the left side view mirror requirement.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Some of the high-end motorhomes have started adding side-view cameras, but they still have real side-view mirrors.

-david

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too bad - it looks like this would be too much trouble. I've always thought they were an idea which needed to be much improved upon.

As a side note, many cars in Japan have the mirrors up near the front of the car (i.e. side view mirrors which are mounted near the headlights) to give a better view, and allow easier sight in tough/small spots. I doubt our 300s would look good with such attachments...

·
Registered
208 Posts
As a side note, many cars in Japan have the mirrors up near the front of the car (i.e. side view mirrors which are mounted near the headlights) to give a better view, and allow easier sight in tough/small spots. I doubt our 300s would look good with such attachments...
The old Alfa Romeo I had back in high school (a very long time ago...) had the mirrors mounted up on the front fenders. They were certainly unusual looking, but you got used to them quickly. They worked great - you didn't have to move your head to check the mirrors. I'm surprised the feds haven't mandated this for our safety :)

-david

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Humm...I didn't read your post carefully. I thought you were just going to remove the mirrors. LCDs and cameras would be cool, but that mod sounds like it would cost lots of money :) Not sure it would be worth the expense.

Does anyone have experience/ideas/thoughts on shaving the side view mirrors and replacing them with, say, video cameras?

(example - shave off the side view mirrors, and replace them with a set of externally mounted cameras, with LCDs inside the cabin).

Haven't tried photoshopping what it would look like. Just curious as to whether anyone else had thought about this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts