Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking to get new shock absorbers for the front of my 2008 CRD saloon. I have standard 18 inch wheels and the car has done 73000 miles.
I can feel every single pothole on my commute and I am looking for a comfortable ride - it isn't a track car.

So far the choices I am considering are Sachs/Boge, Koni or Bilstein and I am asking if anyone has any experience with these brands fitted to their car?

I am also wondering if worn shock absorbers contribute to the unnaturally short life of anti roll bar bushes? I drive my car gently and am lucky to get 3000 miles from a set of (MOOG) bushes before the dreaded knock returns! I have ordered some genuine MOPAR bushes from Rockauto to fit next time.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Bilstein are top of the line, standard equipment on my car. Nearly permanent, also high priced.

Sachs Nivomats are on the back of my car. About 105k miles and still kicking...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello all,

I am looking to get new shock absorbers for the front of my 2008 CRD saloon. I have standard 18 inch wheels and the car has done 73000 miles.
I can feel every single pothole on my commute and I am looking for a comfortable ride - it isn't a track car.

So far the choices I am considering are Sachs/Boge, Koni or Bilstein and I am asking if anyone has any experience with these brands fitted to their car?

I am also wondering if worn shock absorbers contribute to the unnaturally short life of anti roll bar bushes? I drive my car gently and am lucky to get 3000 miles from a set of (MOOG) bushes before the dreaded knock returns! I have ordered some genuine MOPAR bushes from Rockauto to fit next time.
I have a set of Sachs that I did less than 500 miles on before buying a set of coilovers that I still currently have.

I have put them on eBay with a set of lowered springs but haven't sold yet so PM me if your interested. Still have the receipts for them.

·
Premium Member
2011, Chrysler 300C
150 Posts
I have been wondering about shocks myself and noticed at times when hitting a bump the rear is very harsh. The dealer never says anything about suspension issues but I keep thinking about my days with older vehicles which seemed I was always replacing shocks.

What is the average mileage you guys are replacing them?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Shock's or do you mean dampers.....lol......don't start......lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I fitted some Bilstein B6 shock absorbers (dampers) to the front yesterday along with genuine MOPAR anti roll bar bushes and my car is transformed.

The old SACHS/BOGE units originally fitted to the car were shot and even though the car has only done 73000 miles you have to bear in mind they are heavy cars and obviously won't last forever.

The ride is much more comfortable, the steering feels accurate, precise and connected to the road - I think the Vredestein tyres help - and I feel confident driving it as the steering although feeling somewhat lighter is quicker and more responsive to changing direction. I know it is not a track car but it is now a very good road car.

Transmission fluid change is next on the agenda.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have the anti roll bars this would give you the handling & ride height of a SRT8
What is the difference between SRT-8 rollbars and standard Hemi rollbars, are they just tthicker or a different shape?

They could make a cheap upgrade, inreasing cornering performance, with little effect on comfort.

i might be interested in these, if still available.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CRD has the same anti roll bar as the SRT which is 30mm diameter. I think it may be the same for the Hemi as well.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
Yeah I can not see how ride height would change with SRT anti roll bars (post #4 )
I think he's saying changing the struts, coils and sway bars will give the height difference bud... Your right, just changing sways would not, I think it's meant to be all though judging by his first paragraph.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes I still have the roll bar shock & springs I think they are the same shape I thought they was thicker it would need to be confirmed. Its the spring that would set the ride height & with the shocks will be stiffer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I fitted some Bilstein B6 shock absorbers (dampers) to the front yesterday along with genuine MOPAR anti roll bar bushes and my car is transformed.

The old SACHS/BOGE units originally fitted to the car were shot and even though the car has only done 73000 miles you have to bear in mind they are heavy cars and obviously won't last forever.

The ride is much more comfortable, the steering feels accurate, precise and connected to the road - I think the Vredestein tyres help - and I feel confident driving it as the steering although feeling somewhat lighter is quicker and more responsive to changing direction. I know it is not a track car but it is now a very good road car.

Transmission fluid change is next on the agenda.
old post but did you ever change the rear shocks as well? if yes what did you fit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.