Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm very seriously considering upgrading my current car (Rover 75) with a 300c that is for sale near me.

It's a CRD model from 2008, full service history, previous owner was an elderly man.

The TPMS light is on, but some black tape has been put over the light on the dash to get it through the MOT I assume.

Other than that, it all seems very clean, but I've yet to go to see it in the flesh.

I'm just looking for advice/opinions. I don't want to be hit with some horrific bills, although I realise that is always a potential danger!

The car is up for just under £3000, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting rid of my Rover as it's starting to become a real money pit!

Many thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
They're good cars if looked after.

A few thoughts:
Listen for clunks from the front suspension, that's a weak point and starts to wear from 50000 miles or so.

TPMS at that age is almost certainly the batteries in the senders in the wheels dying. Not too expensive to make replaced. Check the individual wheel tyre pressures in the EVIC screen one is likely to have a reading of '---'

Check the Bluetooth, those modules fail, the electric Windows all around and the boot release (from the drivers seat).

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The TPMS light is on, but some black tape has been put over the light on the dash to get it through the MOT I assume.
I'm not sure which model years are subject to TPMS warnings in the MOT. I don't think my 2006 model is affected, however, the black tape is unlikely to fool a tester.

I wouldn't recommend buying any 10 yr old car, unless you are a competent DIY mechanic or have significant contingency in your budget for garage repairs. Routine servicing - oil, filters, lights, etc., is very easy and parts reasonably priced. The engine is fairly rugged and capable of 400,000 miles or more. The camshafts are driven by a chain, not a belt and the auto transmission is reliable. The most expensive repair I've had is for alternator replacement. I suggest you trawl through some of the many posts on the forum to get a feel for potential issues.

Is the car you are considering a saloon or touring? Is it the basic model, or the deluxe with satnav, 6CD player, Boston sound, Sunroof, etc.? There are significant differences in valuations for different models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the replies!

DGO thanks for the advice re the front suspension, I’d read similar warnings to yours. The TPMS I’d also read was a problem, I’ve seen you can get a wireless box that sits in the car and just deactivates the TPMS system, so I’d just get one of those for about £45. Hopefully they work! Will check those other bits too! Didn’t know the car had a Bluetooth module!

I will also probably get the swirl motor bypass kit too...

devilmaycare I’m unfortunately always in the position that buying a car younger than about 10 years old is just not an option. Also I’m pretty handy diy wise with cars, and I just don’t like any new cars that I’ve seen! Thanks for all the advice, very useful and I’ll do as you suggested and have a trawl through the forum! The car is a black tourer, I assume it’s a fairly basic model, it has no satnav just regular cd/radio, no sunroof but it does haair con and grey heated power leather seats...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Custom300c shop guys (shop link) are members here.

They have a lot of useful service parts: Link including the swirl bypass

Also check the following are fitted:
1. An alternator splash shield - as it says it's a plastic shield that fits on the alternator right below the oil filler. You can guess where spilled oil goes
2. A new turbo pipe with the black not orange seal at the turbo end. Search the forum here you'll see that. The key is that stops the oil leak onto the swirl motor

Front suspension is time consuming but not hard if you are competent with mechanicals (except the main ball joint which is a real pain if you don't have the right tools)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies!

DGO thanks for the advice re the front suspension, I’d read similar warnings to yours. The TPMS I’d also read was a problem, I’ve seen you can get a wireless box that sits in the car and just deactivates the TPMS system, so I’d just get one of those for about £45. Hopefully they work! Will check those other bits too! Didn’t know the car had a Bluetooth module!

I will also probably get the swirl motor bypass kit too...

devilmaycare I’m unfortunately always in the position that buying a car younger than about 10 years old is just not an option. Also I’m pretty handy diy wise with cars, and I just don’t like any new cars that I’ve seen! Thanks for all the advice, very useful and I’ll do as you suggested and have a trawl through the forum! The car is a black tourer, I assume it’s a fairly basic model, it has no satnav just regular cd/radio, no sunroof but it does haair con and grey heated power leather seats...
There is a wide range of diagnostic tools available which plug into the car's OBD2 socket. I use the Android TorquePro app in conjunction with a Bluetooth dongle - perhaps this is what DGO was referring to? If you want to deactivate TPMS then you will need something more sophisticated, such as this: Chrysler – Appcar DiagFCA – diagnostic tool

If you are fairly comfortable with DIY, then maintenance shouldn't present any insurmountable problems. I can understand your dislike of new cars, for one thing, they all look alike. I find my 13yr old 300C still turns heads and long distance driving (not that I do much now) is sheer bliss.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When you test drive, make sure you check all the different settings on the a/c and heater and vent controls; these have been problems with blend doors, gears and such. Cheap repair for diy and if you have a month of sundays time available. Big money if you bring in to dealer for repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: dm575

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you shop around on line, most cars will come with a full MOT at that price/age. If this one doesn't, I'd be looking for a couple of hundred off (which would probably pay to resolve the TPMS issue properly). If the swirl hasn't been done, do the turbo pipe as described above. If it does go, just fit the resistor mod and carry on. My 2010 300C failed its last MOT on two suspension items at Halfrauds, but when I took it back to my former Chrysler dealer (now Jeep), they said they weren't failures, but I paid out for a track rod end just for peace of mind as they flagged it as an advisory. I buy all my service items (filters, oil) from Mercedes dealers on ebay, cost £60/£110 for minor/major services. Get yourself the tools for changing glowplugs, as these cars seem to eat them (£8 each). I've also just had to do my glow plug control module (£100) at 9 years old.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I had a similar problem with glowplugs, culminating in module failure. I wondered if, prior to total module failure, the glowplugs are over-driven and burn out. See comments on this thread: Poor Starting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts