Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So today I'm driving by the Chrysler dealership and BAM! There it is... midnight blue, every option, just the way I want it. I stop in and the friendly sales associate approaches me, and we chat a bit about the car. He offers a test drive, and I'm all "yes, yes sir I'd like to drive it".

Now, being an informed reader of these forums and other auto new sources I am well versed in the pull-to-the-right conundrum, dashboard warps, etc. So I check the mfg date of this car... 7-04. "Right on" I think to myself because I know that most problem cars were pre 4-04.

I get in, start it up, the air blows like crazy but not too cold (it was an 85 degree day in SoCal today) Steerike 1... Then I cruse it down a FLAT boulevard and guess what, you guessed it... pulled to the right, a LOT.

Sigh... So the happy sales guy who has "never heard of this issue before" parades me to the service manager who ackowledges the issue and states that they can fix it as they have done several of these jobs to their owners delight. Hmmmmmm

Ok, so the question is should I go for it or am I looking at a lesson in California Lemon Law proceedings? An Acura TL is starting to look pretty good at this point and I've been in love with the 300c from almost day one.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated,
Tiger

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I wouldn't judge the AC by a 5 minute test drive. If it was sitting out in the sun, the air ducts were probably quite hot and it would take more time for the duct work (and thus the air blowing through them) to cool off.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I say yes go for it. Remember this is from a woman who is In LOVE :) with her 300C. They say you can't say anything wrong when LOVE is in the picture.
So naturally I'm Bias :)

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I agree with Dutch, most have no problems with the a/c. The right pull is defininately fixable and I would put a refundable (in writing) deposit contingent on this being fixed perfectly before buying. No suprise the moron who was gracious enough to let you drive had not a clue about this. Why the pull right when this was supposedly fixed 4/25 and later? Mine was built 6/1 with no pull, it does follow the crown left or right depending on the lane. The real test is to drive it up the 405 or 605 in the left lane with hands off the wheel, same test in the right lane, the behavior should be equal with no pull at all but a modest to light drift either way. A gentle finger on the wheel is all it takes to prevent crown following. Btw, my X5 does the exact same thing to a lesser degree of sensitivity, I suspect because of a heavier/tighter steering feel which sucks for fingertip parking. I drove a buddy's C built in 3/04 and it practically steers itself to the right curb requiring rather strong counter steer to correct. I sent him the TSB on this from this forum. I am very familiar with the TL, it was on my list until I saw the C and postponed my decision. I drove the TL extensively and you can't go wrong with it from a reliability, features, and performance standpoint. It however has no soul. Alfas have soul, Acuras don't (much better reliability). The C has tons of soul, hard to put into words, it's like comparing Ray Charles to Bobby Vinton, both are great but very different :cool: . The C has everything and more that the TL has except the legendary reliability which I can't worry about (though I fault no one for being concerned, I have owned Alfas, Peugeot, Merkur, Citroen (which was excellent) so reliability is obviously not an issue for me and I have never been stranded). We would all drive Honda's and Toyotas if that were the main issue. Btw, did you feel that torque steer in the TL with moderate throttle (not WOT)? Worse than my Alfa 164 which was bad, practically pulled you toward the next lane with a firm grip on the wheel!!!. Make sure you go to the TL forum and see what they have to say about excessive torque steer which is not fixable. I chose the C because I feel special driving it, and it is so unique and feature laden with tons of power and that elusive soul that few cars have. As excellent as the TL is, none of the previous statement would apply to it, might as well get an Accord EX V6 6spd and save $6-7K ;) .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts