Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some unknown reason, I was checking my rear wheels out one night after I pulled into the driveway, and noticed a lot of heat coming off the rear tires (I haven't checked the fronts, yet), and determined the both of the rear brake rotors are very hot, too hot to touch.

They were only used, for a couple of seconds, to pull into the driveway. I wouldn't suspect them to be so hot. Is it possible that the brake pads may not be clearing the rotors and causing friction the whole time I drive?

I've rechecked them a couple of times since, and are still very, very hot after just getting home.

If this isn't right, I need to take it in, I guess....

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Good advice on the parking brake, the light should be on the dash, I will check mine but the rear brakes should almost never get hot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've double-checked the parking brake release. No light on the dash, and the brake is released.

If someone could check theirs, and let me know, that would be cool.

Thanks,

Darryl.

·
Registered
365 Posts
FWIW, the parking brakes are separate small drums inside of the rotors for the rear wheels, not necessarily connected. If they were dragging, I think you'd smell the lining burning.

Disc brakes always have a slight drag setup by their very nature so there should be some heat but I doubt if it would be so hot as to be untouchable.

Suggest a visit to a good dealer is needed ASAP.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Keep in mind that the brakes on this car use a ceramic/metallic pad setup that REQUIRES a certain amount of heat build-up to work at its best. And, as Miles said, there is ALWAYS some drag on the brake rotor due to very light pad contact. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought I read that chrysler designed brakes on the 300 that didn't drag to help get better gas mileage. I know if I am in traffic and coasting with traffic, my foot off the gas I'm always gaining on the car in front of me and must apply the brakes for often then the car in front. This never happened in my other cars. It seams to coast much longer, less drag.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Lancorp said:
For some unknown reason, I was checking my rear wheels out one night after I pulled into the driveway, and noticed a lot of heat coming off the rear tires (I haven't checked the fronts, yet), and determined the both of the rear brake rotors are very hot, too hot to touch.

They were only used, for a couple of seconds, to pull into the driveway. I wouldn't suspect them to be so hot. Is it possible that the brake pads may not be clearing the rotors and causing friction the whole time I drive?

I've rechecked them a couple of times since, and are still very, very hot after just getting home.

If this isn't right, I need to take it in, I guess....
How long had the car been sitting before you pulled it in the drive? If not longer than about 20-30 minutes, they can still have a lot of residual heat from prior driving that has not yet dissipated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts