Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Should the speed limit [Think '1974'] be lowered to 55?

Click on THIS to read the story.

Craig!! :)

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Nope, the 5.7L gets better economy at 120kms/hr than at 100kms/hr seeing it stays in MDS longer without cycling out of it to counteract hills.

This is proven by 15000kms of driving record I have accumulated with my car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
leave the speed limit alone. Drive 55 if you you want and i can pass u at 75. all i ask it that u keep right

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
No. Just enforcing the current limits will do the job!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Listen, many states already have a 55 speed limit.

Should we lower those states to 45? To save gas??:twak:

How about a new president in the oval office.

That will surely lower gas prices.

This time lets get one in office who isn't an oil tycoon or from an oil tycoon family.:pat:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've slowed down in response to high gas prices. It was my decision. I don't like it when the government tells me to make lifestyle and personal decisions, even if it's what I was planning on doing anyway. I would buy an electric car if they were viable, but if the government stepped in and said "anyone who commutes 80 miles or less per day must take steps to drive an electric car", I'd be pissed. 8 months to cheaper gas and alternative fuel incentives!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've slowed down in response to high gas prices. It was my decision. I don't like it when the government tells me to make lifestyle and personal decisions, even if it's what I was planning on doing anyway. I would buy an electric car if they were viable, but if the government stepped in and said "anyone who commutes 80 miles or less per day must take steps to drive an electric car", I'd be pissed. 8 months to cheaper gas and alternative fuel incentives!
Just be happy your in the live free or die state unlike taxachusetts. lol

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
It was a bad idea back in the 1970s and it's an even worse idea now. What we need is the freedom to access the billions of oil reserves we have within our borders (and be environmentally responsible doing it), invest in refining capacity (again, being environmentally sound), and the expand the distribution infrastructure.

Ride a bicycle if you want to go slow and save all the gas. LOL

It has very little to with the guy (or gal at some point in the future) in the oval office. It has much more to do with the congressional law and regulation makers who remain in office but have lost their common sense and over embraced the panic/myth of man-made global warming and it's magnitude attempting to appease green peace and other enviro-special interests.

Oh... and grain should be used for food, not fuel.

·
Registered
770 Posts
55 MPH is tough man. In NJ on a section of the Garden State Parkway for 20 miles (for I believe safety reasons) they just lowered it to 55. Most of it is 65. Its on the way to my parents house and boy is it tough to go that slow. Their giving out tickets too. In my screwed up budget challanged deficit State its a way to generate revenue to me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I like the speed limits as they are. Autos are getting more fuel efficient day by day. The 5.7L does a fantastic job getting good mileage thats not much lower than the subcompacts the dealer are try to sell for gas mileage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just be happy your in the live free or die state unlike taxachusetts. lol
Damn right...I could never live in a Nanny-State. I venture down there as little as possible, but I'll be at the Pops concert on Wednesday :biggrin: :fing02: . Western MA doesn't seem too bad, but unfortunately, the policies come from the east.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Then you guy will really hate living in NY on Long Island & the 5 Boroughs...ALL Highways & Expressway are 55MPH...
No Exceptions...anywhere

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
e gas??:twak:

How about a new president in the oval office.

That will surely lower gas prices.

This time lets get one in office who isn't an oil tycoon or from an oil tycoon family.:pat:
There's an oil tycoon, and 2 hippies - the hippies want you to trade in your 300Cs and throw them in the dump, and get shiny new Prius Hybrids. Ya know, kinda like how Obama traded in his 300C for an escape hybrid. :pat:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Back in the '70's the speed limit was set to 55 MPH to save fuel because this was the average speed that on most cars the secondaries began to kick in on the carbs, sucking down excessive amounts of fuel. Fords, Chryslers and General Motors ruled the roads with 4 BBL carbs on V-8's the average size being 340 - 400 CID. The argument that driving 55 saves fuel is no longer true for todays cars. All of my cars get their best mileage between 70-75 MPH. If a county or municipality designates any highway a 55 MPH zone it is usually to generate revenue from speeding tickets and has nothing to do with safety or fuel savings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts