Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and searching for an alternative for side blinkers. Since I could not get the front side parking lights to work as blinkers, and I really did not want to put those Ebay mirror covers on my car, I purchased these LED lights from Ebay and installed them yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
They pretty bright?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I just came up with a redesign of the circuitry of my side marker flasher system. It's easier (six wires) and cleaner (1" x 2" x 3" plastic box) than my original. I be working up a "how-to" in a few weeks.

If you can wire those LEDs into the doors you can build and install my front side marker flashing module.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What does it mean run them in "parallel". (Newbie) Run the wires to the blinking bulb on the headlight ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
In "parallel" means connect each wire from your LED's to each wire from your front turn signal bulb. You need to make sure the positive wire (probably the red wire) on your LED's is connected to the positive wire on the turn signal bulb (white/violet). If you connect them and the LED's don't work reverse the wires.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
If the mechanical inspection of cars in your state requires that all lights be operating properly there may be an issue with wiring the side markers "in parallel" with the front turn signals as the side markers will no longer function as side markers (on with parking and headlights) but only as flashers.
For those who may be interested, here's the schematic that will be included with my revised "how-to" writeup when completed in a few weeks:

As with my original design, the side markers will flash with the front turn signals when the parking/head lights are off, and alternately when the parking/head lights are on. The revised design is easier to build and costs about the same (under $25).
If you follow my original writeup as to where to find the wires to cut/tap into, and follow this schematic, you can do-it-yourself. The relays used in the revision are the same Radio Shack parts as the original(cat. no. 275-0248), just four of them rather than two. With the addition of the two relays in the revision the need for the capacitors and diodes of the original have been eliminated. The revised writeup will show how/where to mount the relays on a circuit board (same as before, Radio Shack cat. no. 276-149), where the inter-connecting wires go on the circuit board, and how to stuff it all into a compact 1" x 2" x 3" hobby box (also available from Radio Shack) that is easily sealed against the elements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Of course you can't wire the side markers in parallel with the signal lights and exepct them to flash with the turn signals and stay on steady with the parking lights. The original question was about wiring the ADDITIONAL LED's on the window strip and have them flash with the turn signals.
That is a real interesting wiring concept to have the side markers flash when using the turn signals or steady with the parking lights. Is that an original design?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Of course you can't wire the side markers in parallel with the signal lights and exepct them to flash with the turn signals and stay on steady with the parking lights. The original question was about wiring the ADDITIONAL LED's on the window strip and have them flash with the turn signals.
That is a real interesting wiring concept to have the side markers flash when using the turn signals or steady with the parking lights. Is that an original design?
The original statement in Post #1 was "Since I could not get the front side parking lights to work as blinkers", I was cautioning about wiring them "in parallel with the front signals. He also goes on to say that he installed the A-pillar LEDs, presumably wired to "blink" with the front signals, as that was his original dismay with the front side parking lights.

The "wiring concept" is my second effort, the first having been posted months ago. I feel my second version is better than my first. This design is an original. I have not seen any others that, to my mind, would actually work if built. I have built and installed my first design, and it works. I have built the control module of my second design, bench tested it, and plan to install it on my C this Tuesday. I will then publish (in a couple of weeks) a "how-to" for the ibuild/install of the second design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Desiree,

SRQ Mark couldn't get the side markers to flash so he purchased the LED's to have them flash rather than the side markers. He connected them in parallel with the turn signals and as he confirmed they work as planned.
SRQ Mark, correct me if I'm am wrong.

As far as your original design, it looks "very similar" to the one I sent you prior to posting the one in this thread using 2 relays per side but no diodes or capacitors. The doubt of it's functionality might mean you don't understand the circuit as I have one built and installed and is working perfectly. Here is a pic of the second which just needs the heat shrink and installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The LEDS blink parallel with the turn signals.

Desiree,

SRQ Mark couldn't get the side markers to flash so he purchased the LED's to have them flash rather than the side markers. He connected them in parallel with the turn signals and as he confirmed they work as planned.
SRQ Mark, correct me if I'm am wrong.

As far as your original design, it looks "very similar" to the one I sent you prior to posting the one in this thread using 2 relays per side but no diodes or capacitors. The doubt of it's functionality might mean you don't understand the circuit as I have one built and installed and is working perfectly. Here is a pic of the second which just needs the heat shrink and installation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts