Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a hot one in DFW. It was close to 100 again... I had the body side molding on the drivers side rear door catch on the drivers door when I opened the rear door to let my 4 year old out at Target. It not only peeled back the chrome molding on the front edge of the rear door, it also scratched the paint on the rear edge of the front door. I looked at the other side and the clearance is very close on the other side too. I would assume that is may only be a matter of time for that side as well.

Has this happened to you? And it will be covered under warranty, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same problem

I had exactly the same scenario on my 'c'. I took it to the dealer, they took images and sent them to the 'district controler' who denied the claim. This despite there being a second 'c' in exactly the same condition in the day before. I was told I had to wait until the regional manager was there to examine it in person. I am still waiting a month later. What's really infuriating is the BS customer service and the extreme inconvenience. I finally stripped off the chrome molding as Others or myself kept forgeting to NOT open that door when the front one was not open [thus avoiding further scratches]

Not that you want to hear my sob story, but I recommend going in a little strong with the dealer to ensure they handle your car quicker than they have mine.

Tom

·
Banned
72 Posts
yup...happened to me same exact thing.................

Came home one night and woke up the next morning and noticed the the chrome strip had caught the drivers door bent out and scraped the drivers door right above the trim edge.....i ordered the rear drivers side trim strip.....about 2 weeks ago and i am waiting for it to ship to my dealer for installation....

cp

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
300cp said:
Came home one night and woke up the next morning and noticed the the chrome strip had caught the drivers door bent out and scraped the drivers door right above the trim edge.....i ordered the rear drivers side trim strip.....about 2 weeks ago and i am waiting for it to ship to my dealer for installation....

cp
Are you having to pay for it? DCX should cover this under warranty as it is a design flaw and a manufacturers defect.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
baj764 said:
Today was a hot one in DFW. It was close to 100 again... I had the body side molding on the drivers side rear door catch on the drivers door when I opened the rear door to let my 4 year old out at Target. It not only peeled back the chrome molding on the front edge of the rear door, it also scratched the paint on the rear edge of the front door. I looked at the other side and the clearance is very close on the other side too. I would assume that is may only be a matter of time for that side as well.

Has this happened to you? And it will be covered under warranty, right?
Your post piqued my interest on several counts, baj764, but especially your comment possibly implicating heat as a contributor to the door-trim interference problem. Highs in the teens are common here, and I've seen 130 on the patio thermometer several times this summer. So I immediately went to the garage and checked clearance on both sides and, thankfully, see no potential on my car for the described problem.

On my 300C, built 10/04, the leading edge of each rear door trim strip is set back a full quarter inch from the door edge, giving at least an eighth of an inch clearance from the trailing edge of the front door when the rear doors are each swung through their full arc. I can only guess that your, and others', rear trim strips were inadvertently mounted too far forward. How far back from the LE of the rear door is your trim strip, BTW?

Perhaps the simple comparison of where your trim strips are mounted vs. what you see on new cars on the dealer's showroom or lot would provide the basis for your point that mfr's defect is the problem, not user error.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Meister said:
Your post piqued my interest.... the leading edge of each rear door trim strip is set back a full quarter inch from the door edge, giving at least an eighth of an inch clearance from the trailing edge of the front door when the rear doors are each swung through their full arc. I can only guess that your, and others', rear trim strips were inadvertently mounted too far forward. How far back from the LE of the rear door is your trim strip, BTW?

Perhaps the simple comparison of where your trim strips are mounted vs. what you see on new cars on the dealer's showroom or lot would provide the basis for your point that mfr's defect is the problem, not user error.
I looked at mine and the trim looks like on solid piece from front to back. the front door trim goes to about 1/16 inch, or less, from the rear edge of the door and the leading edge of the rear trim is 1/16 from the front edge of the rear door. So.... I am off to the dealer to do some checking.

Also, below see the Left Side Damage, Right Side Closed, Right Side Open.

Thanks, Brett

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I wonder if this is a problem on "early build" cars only; my '05 was built in Feb '05, one of the last 2005 models before they switched over to 2006 and It looks like there is no way for that to happen on mine.... the rear molding is about 1/4" back and even when I open the door there is 1/8" clearance as the molding passes by the edge of the front door. The only way it could catch that I can see would be if it were already bent back (like getting caught by an automatic car wash perhaps??) or if possibly the 2 sided tape they use to attach it didn't hold (extreme heat or cold?). I'll definitely keep an eye on this and will be checkin my dad's SRT8 as well.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
baj764 said:
I looked at mine and the trim looks like on solid piece from front to back. the front door trim goes to about 1/16 inch, or less, from the rear edge of the door and the leading edge of the rear trim is 1/16 from the front edge of the rear door. So.... I am off to the dealer to do some checking.

Also, below see the Left Side Damage, Right Side Closed, Right Side Open.

Thanks, Brett
Brett, they definitely installed your rear molding with much less forward spacing than on my 10/04-built car. This "improper" mounting at the factory is clearly the root cause of your problem, hence is clearly an item to be covered under warranty.

If stuck at zero groundspeed with your primary dealer, take it to another dealer and explain to them, upfront, that the problem is the result of improper trim strip placement at the factory. If they question it calmly ask them to measure the door edge to trim strip clearance at the LE of your two rear trim strips vs. the trim strips on their recent delivery Cs.

What does your driver's door sticker show for build date, BTW?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My car is a 2006. Mfg 06-05. I bought it on July 6, 2005. Maybe the problem is with early 06's? I will be talking to my friends at Bankson Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in Frisco, TX no later than tomorrow. I will let you know the result. Thanks, Brett

ps. Anyone know why my signature is not showing up on these replies. I can see it in preview and it showed up on the original post.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
baj764 said:
My car is a 2006. Mfg 06-05. I bought it on July 6, 2005. Maybe the problem is with early 06's? I will be talking to my friends at Bankson Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in Frisco, TX no later than tomorrow. I will let you know the result. Thanks, Brett

ps. Anyone know why my signature is not showing up on these replies. I can see it in preview and it showed up on the original post.
Hey Brett, sigs only appear in your 1st post in any given thread... this is programmed into the software to allow pages to load faster and to save space.

Good luck with solving your problem!! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
baj764 said:
My car is a 2006. Mfg 06-05. I bought it on July 6, 2005. Maybe the problem is with early 06's? I will be talking to my friends at Bankston Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep in Frisco, TX no later than tomorrow. I will let you know the result. Thanks, Brett
Well I had the car in to the dealer yesterday. They had seen the trim problem before and it IS covered under warranty including paint touch up. The only problem is the trim in on back order. As of end of day yesterday no ETA. Could be days...weeks...months... who knows?

I also had them look at a problem with my AC. The recirculation button only works intermittently. They have ordered me a new AC head unit. Should be here today. Stay tuned.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem and blamed it on my lawyer who had borrowed the car for a week to prepare for lemon law case!!

DC gladly took my $$ for the new molding and touch up paint... $ 98.30 installed but I had to do the touch up paint! Too bad I incorrectly assumed DC was clean on this issue!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Parts came in a couple of days ago and I have an appointment to go in on Monday. All covered under warranty. They are also going to give me a car while they are fixing mine. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shopping Cart Molding

Hey....
It's a great time to take that stupid shooping cart molding off! It looks great when it's off....that's the 1st thing I did when I got my SRT8!
Bob

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have the same exact issue, as i posted yesterday. on the drivers side as well, mine is exactly as the pictured problem side molding....even the scratch looks the same. have an appt at the dealer on monday...

·
Registered
160 Posts
dealer is keeping overnight, to show the district service guy the molding, as they are saying they have never seen it and there are no TSB's. i just faxed my dealer this thread, i will be truly pissed if they do not cover this under warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are fixing mine as we speak. Under warranty. I am driving at Durango while it is in the shop. Also provided by the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar problem. The wife opened the back door and it made a terrible noise. I thought at first it was the hinge. The metal part of the trim on the back door was bent back and had scrapped the front door. Fortunantly, it isn't too noticable on the front door. I was at a friend's house the night before and his wife and kids had left and came back. I chalked it up to one of the kids hitting the door getting out of their car and had hit the trim, bending the metal piece back. I ordered a replacement trim piece and put it on the next week.

After reading this post, it seems my friend's kids may not have done this. I'll have to keep and eye on the trim next summer.

By the way, my 300c was built 6/04.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts