Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on removing my side molding on my doors of the 300. On another none LX forum a guy that works in a collision shop told me of multiple incidences of people removing their molding and the paint underneath was bubbled from the factory placing it on before the paint was dry. Has anyone come across this issue or heard anything about it?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I do think I've seen someone post something similar here about seeing this after demolding. However with that said I think its few and far between.....not too common.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
no problems here.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
No 'bubbling' but:

One or two here had a discoloration under the molding... that was fixed by buffing the paint. One member that I remember discovered his car had been repainted at some point causing problems when he took off the molding. 99% of the rest of the MANY members who removed the molding had no issue at all.

It will be a bit scary at first... it will likely look like there is a paint problem. But it will be resisdue from the glue... clay it off, or use your paint cleaner and it will be ok.

Hopefully you are in the 99% no issue club. I think your odds of success are great!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe the molding/paint bubbling issue was really prevalent with the Magnums, because the factory molding was a larger strip that required two lines of adhesive, leaving an open area in between the two strips helping generate the paint bubbling some way. Other cars like the Charger, and I believe 300's have a slimmer molding, requiring a solid, single adhesive strip, allowing no room for bubbling, but a chance for discoloration if removed after many years in the sun. My boss's '05 Maggie has the bubbling issue, as we removed his side moldings a month ago.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
That Was Me Cueball-that Was The Body Shop That Messed Up.but Other Then That Came Out Great No Problems.
Yeah, no real problems on this board with the 300's.. maybe the Magnum issue above brought about the warning to Natas....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts