Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to a local meet, I met Turbohips (NOT TURBOHOPS< SORRY) who tutored me about removing the "silencer" on the airbox. It really was about a 20 minute mod, the toughest part was the rubiks cube gyrations necessary to get the thing out of the wheel well with the 20" tire still on the car.

Now that it's off, it seems to me that this was simply a straight tube from the airbox to ?.

It has 2 distinct chambers that branch off the tube, but if you run your hand the length of the tube, there is a straight path avaiable for the air.

So, other than the chambers quieting the airflow, did this thing restrict anything? It's not even really that heavy.

Did anyone experiment with cutting off the chambers and sealing the holes up so the airflow has a straight shot?

Does pulling the thing off DO anything except de-slence the intake?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
There is a silencer removal thread, I cut mine off and plugged the holes with a Metamucil lid and a Diet Dr. Pepper can bottom. There is a nice intake sound at 70% throttle and above, otherwise silent as ever. No diff in performance on the butt dyno. I like the design of the Volant intake, the stock intake is very good with cool air coming is from the inner fender near the side nmarker light well away from water,

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metamucil, huh? Well, suffice to say I have that readily acessible.

Thanks, II Kings, I'll give it a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Check out the silencer thread, I found the mounting bolt pesky, a long mother. Also, when the silencer is out there is only one point fixation, the bolt, so it's a little wobbly. I used a series of zip ties making several loops connected running it through a small hole dremelled in the plastic flange and anchored to a hole in the bumper mount frame which locked it in solid.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I got industrious last night and hacked off the "silencer" boxes, then closed the holes up with aluminum foil type duct tape. I have several layers, so it seems pretty sturdy.

Then I remounted it, it seems pretty secure.

Rush hour this am precluded any testing.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
CITADELGRAD87 said:
OK, I got industrious last night and hacked off the "silencer" boxes, then closed the holes up with aluminum foil type duct tape. I have several layers, so it seems pretty sturdy.

Then I remounted it, it seems pretty secure.

Rush hour this am precluded any testing.
Did you get the TrueFlow filter? they have an impressive filtration demo on thier website.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I hadn't heard of that one, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Think about this... Leave the two holes open from where you cut the two bottom silencer pieces. Remove the plastic from the small grille next to the fog light on driver side. Now you have cold air coming in from the fog light grille and going into the two holes. When you look in from the fog light grille you can see how the air pushes right up into the two holes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
how exactly can i take this silencer that you guys are talking about off? does any one have a step by step thread for it? i installed the poweraid throtle body spacer and the airaid cai and it sounds ok... but i wat to remove those bottom pieces that you guys are talking about... does it involve takig off the bumper/facia? or just the top air box and the bottom cover necesary to get to the fog lights? please someone help me.. ive got a lott of time on my hands and i wana get this done.. thanks in advance...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what's involved with your aftermarket intake, but if the silencer is stil in play in your system, it's easy to get it off.

Carefully pry off the button fasteners holding the left front wheel well to the read edge of the front bumper. Use a screwdriver and take it easy. IIRC< there are 3 on the bottom edge, the last one is way in toward the center of the car, and about 4 more, one every couple inches as you trace the front of the fender opening upward. I didn't take off more than those 7.

Once off, you will discover that the wheel well is plastic and can be gently bent out of the way, revealing the GIANT boxes hanging off the intake tube.

There is a single metric bolt holding the intake on, it is metric and LONG, but once it's off, you can wiggle, cuss, and cajole the intake out after lowering if off the main unit.

Then simply hack off the boxes where they join the tube, and reverse the process. Without the excess baggage, the reinstall only takes a minute or two.

1/2 hour is the time estimate.

·
Registered
236 Posts
should i modify it and reinstall it or just leave it off?... thank you for all of your info it worked out great i just got it out..... but i also removed the cover next to my fog light so that it can get air.. do you think its a good idea to modify the silencer in a way that it forces air into the filter or just leave it off?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I removed my silencer via the 11-bolt, 3-button fastener bottom cover. I removed the 2” long, very fine thread (17,000 turns to remove :eek: ), pulled the 2 bumbers out from radiator bracket, and vola my 300c gave birth to a 2 square foot contraption which took some poor engeneer 3 years to design and me 20 minutes to remove :D . Now, this left a 1” gap between the bottom of the airbox and the cooler area of the fender area. I used a (no laughing) 32oz quickmart soda cup. Cut off the bottom 2/3 or so and slid the cup, from the top, into the hole. The cup wedges perfectly and stops 1” from the top of the hole via the lip, which then forms a tight seal with the bottom of the factory airbox once reinstalled. This will keep the hotter engine compartment air from getting in under and then into the airbox. For now, I'm choosing to leave off the silencer, picture below...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts