Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of you are going to do headers with high flow cats on your SRT8s very soon. Unfortunately, high flow cats have a tendency to set PO420 and/or PO430 Cat Ineffeciency codes on our OBD-II controlled vehicles. These codes do not mean, in most cases, that the cat is not working and you cannot pass emissions(such as a tail pipe sniff), but it will cause to to fail such a test even if the tailpipe sniff is clean since CELs are not allowed to be set during the check.

History: I have had these two codes set on a variety of GM vehicles I have played with over the last several years. Always after I installed headers with high flow cats. On a GM it is a simple issue. There are O2 simulators and there are tuning programs that can shut down the PO420/PO430 scan routines completely. On our DCX vehicles, not such device or tuning is available. Our Dodge Hemi Ram has set PO430 since my installation of Dynatech SuperMaxx headers with High flow cats and I don't like that CEL looking at me while driving ;)

It seems that our friends in the Import world have found a clever little way to eliminate these two codes without computer tricks, cutting wires or eliminating the O2s. It takes a $4.00 or less part from your local auto parts store, a 1/2" drill bit and drill, jack and jack stands, tie-wraps, and a wrench. It will take less than 30 minutes start to finish.

Disclaimer: I am currently assuming that the O2s on the SRT8s share the same 18mm thread as the Dodge trucks. From a quick view under my MSRT8, they appear to be similar O2s and size.

You need to purchase 'spark plug non-foulers' from your local auto parts help section. Most places carry them. I got the longer of 2 items that matched the 18mm thread requirment to try and use only one fitting per O2. You will notice that your O2 does not fit into this fitting, but you have to drill out the fitting to a 1/2" diameter. Once completed, clean the fitting of metal shavings and burs, then insert your O2 sensor and tighten. You will notice the O2 sensor now barely clears the walls of the fitting. Install the fitting/O2 sensor into the O2 bung, tighten, route the O2 wires and tie wrap where necessary. In the case of the LX platform, you will have to reset the computer unless you have access to something that can clear the DTCs(Superchips can do this on the Hemi trucks, which I did on our truck when testing this).

The code has not returned in our truck on the regular basis it did, so this had 'changed' something in the system. I don't drive the truck a lot, but I wanted to get the info to you guys now. I will certainly repost if the code returns, but the import guys this comes from have thousands of miles on their vehicles with no repeat of the codes.

Now, who has some header results to share with us? I know some Kooks headers are out there for install. Anyone install them and willing to post results?

Pictures to help you decipher my poor english :D ;) :wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nope, that first picture isn't on a Kook's header box :wave: :evil: Why would you think that ;)

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
In the first picture, do one or two of the parts come in that packaging? I will do this mod within the week and let you know the results.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMatt said:
In the first picture, do one or two of the parts come in that packaging? I will do this mod within the week and let you know the results.
Two fittings come in the package.

I talked to Casper Electronics and they have been working on some solutions for the LX Platform and these same codes. There may be a sure fire electronic solution in the near future.

Todd

·
Registered
443 Posts
amant said:
What's an emisssion test?

......it's the same thing as "Snow" and "Hibernation"

simply words and phrases that we just don't EVER use down here.........

it's also related to the phrase "front license plate" :wink1:

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
amant said:
What's an emisssion test?
That depends...
are you asking the gearheads or are you asking the Nurse? :evil: :newangel:

Sorry, couldn't resist; back on topic! :wink1:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Whitediamond...

so after Magnaflow gets the high flow cats approved in Calif...
I got nothing to worry about...
as the other 49 states are golden...
once it comes out...
right?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cbutler32 said:
once it comes out...
right?
You may be able to BS your way through a check, but headers will definatley move the location of the cats. CARB doesn't allow that(neither does the EPA, actually), but it is really going require a sharp test attendent. If you have CARB papers for the cats that don't specifically state the location, you may be able to put headers on it and get past even with the cats now relocated. Not sure......

Todd

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
We've tried the spacer approach on one of our customers' cars with the Dynatech's and they have only been a temporary fix to the CEL but they did extend the time it took between reoccurances on this 5.7L car from CEL's after about 10 miles to sometimes between 500 to 1000 miles. This CEL problem should be fixed for good soon. We're also working on a plug and play MIL eliminator-like kit, too, and hope to test it out real soon on a couple of the CEL-plagued cars.

·
Registered
272 Posts
cbutler32 said:
once it comes out...
right?
Most testers wont even look for headers, much less know that yours are aftermarket. The real problem is the check engine light. If you go to get you car smogged with the check engine light on they won't do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had mine smoged when I brought it in state from NY. They didn't even get under the car much less look for headers or cat locations. Not sure how big a deal this really is?

WhiteDiamond said:
You may be able to BS your way through a check, but headers will definatley move the location of the cats. CARB doesn't allow that(neither does the EPA, actually), but it is really going require a sharp test attendent. If you have CARB papers for the cats that don't specifically state the location, you may be able to put headers on it and get past even with the cats now relocated. Not sure......

Todd

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
IGOTTASRT8 said:
Most testers wont even look for headers, much less know that yours are aftermarket. The real problem is the check engine light. If you go to get you car smogged with the check engine light on they won't do it.
A 1" piece of black electrical tape over the CEL location & they'll never notice. ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meister said:
A 1" piece of black electrical tape over the CEL location & they'll never notice. ;)
Most states plug in with a scanner now and the codes appear.... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wouldn't worry about the CEL and smog in California. I believe there is a 6 year for the original/current owner and four years for resale before you have to smog your car for cars manufactured after 2000. I'm pretty sure by then someone will have a solution for the CEL either with a sensor or program.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
We're still working on some plug'n'play eliminators but they're still in the design stage. It will probably be January before we're testing them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts