Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may add sirius to my 05 rec nav radio. I do not want to add teh sirius antenna to the roof of my car. Does anyone have any other areas where reception is good other than on the top of the car? Maybe in the dash or something like that?

thanks
B

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The avic-z2 is also an option and wonder if you have to mount that antenna outside the vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks jimmy
did u put your on the dash or inside the dash? where exactly on the dash if it is visible? and you do have the stock sirius or avic?
sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
979 Posts
thanks jimmy
did u put your on the dash or inside the dash? where exactly on the dash if it is visible? and you do have the stock sirius or avic?
sorry for all the questions
jimmy i am curious as to where you put your sirius tuner? I am going to be doing the same upgrade as soon as my antenna extension cable comes. Bigbmc in regards to your sat antenna i have read a lot of people and i plan to do the same are just sticking the sirius antenna underneath the center speaker grille in the dash. most people dont have a center speaker and the ones who do remove it because 5.1 sorround doesnt sound right unless your sitting in the middle and of course in a car thats impossible unless your in the back seat. So my plan is to get some 3m double sided tape affix it to the bottom of the sirius antenna an put it under the center speaker grille. I was told the best way to get to it is when you remove your radio just to reach back there and stick it in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the Avic-d3 and I have XM radio. I have the basic audio package so i put both the navi antenna and xm atenna in the front empty speaker holders and I get great reception with both. Also, there is no antenna visible inside your car or on your car.

Good Luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also had the XM antenna on the right side of the front dash in the corner of the window. I ran the cord from the radio to through the glove compartment, up the side of the glove compartment and the reception was the same.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Remember when going with the Avic d3 (or other aftermarket) you loose steering wheel features, back up beep radio volume turn down, EVIC nav display, etc.

I have teh Avic D-3 in my Megacab and the nav portion BLOWS! The rest of the unit is pretty good. But if you are going to utilize the nav portion you will not be happy. It gives bad directions all the time.

EDIT: forgot to add about the antenna placement. You can get away with the dash mount, however, when you do get in tight places like heavy wooded areas, garages, drive threw etc. - you will lose signal much sooner than if you go with a roof mount. One that I have found to be pretty good and clean is on the back trunk deck. You can place it just on the rear corner (center) and never have any reception problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Remember when going with the Avic d3 (or other aftermarket) you loose steering wheel features, back up beep radio volume turn down, EVIC nav display, etc.

I have teh Avic D-3 in my Megacab and the nav portion BLOWS! The rest of the unit is pretty good. But if you are going to utilize the nav portion you will not be happy. It gives bad directions all the time.

EDIT: forgot to add about the antenna placement. You can get away with the dash mount, however, when you do get in tight places like heavy wooded areas, garages, drive threw etc. - you will lose signal much sooner than if you go with a roof mount. One that I have found to be pretty good and clean is on the back trunk deck. You can place it just on the rear corner (center) and never have any reception problems.
there is a module to retain steering wheel controls and the rear package tray behind the back seat inside the rear window is where mine is, next to the third brake light

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
there is a module to retain steering wheel controls and the rear package tray behind the back seat inside the rear window is where mine is, next to the third brake light
Good info. Do you have more information on this? Pics? Also, are you saying that you can tie into the rear back up alarm control? The one that turns down your radio and then alarms you that something is close behind you when backing.

·
Registered
979 Posts

I thoght abut putting my sirius antenna on the rear deck but i guess i was thinking that if you had tint on your rear window it may affect the reception. I remember people saying if you have a ceramic based tint it helps retain reception. but i dont know

·
Registered
81 Posts
Even the factory diversity roof-mounted antenna does not have perfect reception. It has signal drops once in a while. I guess this is the reason for antenna redesign in 2008 models. So if it gets mounted at the lower point, partially blocked by the roof (depending on the bird current position), the reception might get worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Off top but again about mouting antennas, where is everyone mounting there navigation antenna? I heard behind the instrument benzel is the best place?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Off top but again about mouting antennas, where is everyone mounting there navigation antenna? I heard behind the instrument benzel is the best place?
funny you asked i did this just the other day. When you take the radio out you will see a metal horizontal bar that runs on both sides of the heat vents. I just put some double sided tape on the bottom of the metal base of the antenna and attached it to the metal bar with the cord facing toward the driver. So far no problems with the antenna being there. i think the stock one is mounted in the viscinity between the two vents but i am not sure on exact location.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts