Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 300 it has cd player and satellite radio. over the years like when they have a system wide upgrade it has always required a phone call and special regen to get it back going. It quit receiving last week, it only receives 184 and ch 2. after several phone calls and advanced level techs, they tell me the 06 radio is not longer supported by them. I must drop my subscription or they will furnish me free of charge a new satellite radio, that will install on my dash and wires (should be) able to be run inconspicuously? This sounds like a mess to me I hate to destroy the nice interior of my car and hate the thought of having a radio with some features in it not working. they are shipping the radio now.

My Question:? will another year model radio fit in the 06 dash upgrading to a newer radio they support? has anyone done this or even heard of my problem????

Or is there an after market radio/satellite radio, that will fit in my dash and still use my steering wheel controls, maybe even my antenna?

I just want everything in the car to work, not look junky, and receive satellite radio.

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
There were two radios with CD and satellite functions. Does yours have NAV as well? If so, that is a double DIN head unit.

There are quite a few aftermarket radios that will fit a double DIN dash bezel on your car that have navigation, CD & Sirius satellite radio functions, plus a lot of other updated features.

All they need is an adapter harness from PacAudio to plug and play with your stock wiring & preserve your steering wheel controls. Oh, and you'll need a mounting kit for some and a antenna adapter, all readily available.

If you don't have the double DIN head unit you can still fit one by replacing your center stack bezel with a Chrysler OEM bezel which are also readily available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not familiar with the term DIN , My radio does not have navigation, that might be a nice option if it is available. what I really want is AM/FM/CD/ satellite radio that fits like a factory installation and works with present controls.

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
As I said there are lots of head units out there that will fit. You just have to do a bit of research to find what you like. Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood are brands I'd recommend you focus on.

DIN = A measurement standard under ISO 7736, which adopted a German standard applied to certain manufactured goods. I am guessing you have a single DIN which is a 180 mm wide x 50 mm tall faceplate. A double DIN head unit measures 180 mm wide X 100 mm tall, two times the height of a single DIN. You'll notice that they are the same width.

Only a few items are needed to fit a double DIN head unit into your car and those are discussed in my post above. One other thing to mention if you want navigation then you'll want to add an aftermarket navigation antenna to that list. It's all plug and play.

Single DIN head unit and double DIN head unit comparison:

On my Ram I did a similar conversion, going from a factory single to factory double DIN head unit:

The new center stack bezel. You can see the upper opening is "double" the height of the stock one above:

Final product:

Our cars came with radios that have all the features you are looking for in a head unit so it's easy to upgrade with a few simple items.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This is odd. I have a 2006 300 with the satellite, navagation etc and it is the REC model. How did you know that your unit needed a upgrade? Since I've owned my car I've always had a satellite radio subscription and I've never had any upgrade that I'm aware of? Granted mine has navigation so maybe they still support my model and not yours? That would seem pretty odd.

So your radio just stopped transmitting the satellite signal and that's it? How many upgrades have you needed over the years to keep your radio operating properly? This is the first that I've ever heard of anything like this.

I don't understand why they would just stop supporting these units? The radio is only 7 years old. Is it really that old of technology that they would just stop supporting them? I'm just confused because I've owned mine since 11/09 and I've never had a issue with it.

Thanks,

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts