Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before everyone scolds me let me say I didn't think less than an inch of snow on the ground would make a difference.

Eased out of my driveway and had no problems moving through my development. Here the roads were untreated so things were packed down by early morning commuters. Just to test things I gave it a little just to see how quickly the ESP would kick in. The short of it is that there's a big enough delay to get in trouble.

Ok, so everything is fine and under full control when I make the approach for the first intersection and I'm going nice and slow (5-10mph) tap the brakes and wham!! FULL ABS and I'm not slowing one bit so through the intersection I go. Now I have to make a left here anyway and since I'm not slowing down I let go of the brakes and turn the wheel. Tires no longer locked up and what do you know I making the turn no problem.

On to the main roads that are well treated so they're just wet and life is good again.

Pull in to the neighborhood where my daughter's daycare is located and leave the car in 1st to ease on a downhill approach to the driveway stick the turn drop off the precious cargo and start to make my way to the office. Which leads to problem #2 going uphill in less than an inch of snow.

Time to level ground = 2minutes
Distance traveled = less than 200ft

Lesson learned = never attempt again
Action plan = search all threads again and get snows installed ASAP. Till then ALL SNOW DAYS ARE WORK FROM HOME DAYS

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I was just about to make a post about driving in the snow, but ill just throw it in here.
Well in NY, we got about 3 inches.
This morning, I brought my car to the dealer for the Transmission leaking fluid and my drive was GREAT.
I was out at about 6:30 and the roads were coveres with snow and ice and let me tell you, my car took it like a champ. 300C RWD, i hit the gas and it stayed in place. I came to a stop sign and slowly tapped on the brakes and no sliding (I mean any car that you jam on the brakes will make you slide ORION). I took the turn with a prety hard acceleration and i fish tailed about a foot and caught the road immediatly.
who needs an AWD, not me.
This was all done with ESP on.
ESP off is a whole nother story.
My expreience so far with this car in the snow is an A+.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Could have sworn I said I tapped the brakes.

ESP was on.

What tires do you have? I'm still running my SRT8 on the stock Front P245/45ZR20 and Rear P255/45ZR20 Perf. Tires

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
You guys are comparing summer tires on an SRT to other tires on a C....this really isn't a legit comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
The rain causes ridiculous wheel spin/fish tailing....I can only imagine what the snow would do.....I'm not going to find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jjs said:
You guys are comparing summer tires on an SRT to other tires on a C....this really isn't a legit comparison.

Thanks JJS. I just wanted others to learn from my experience. I figured living and driving most of my life in NY would be enough to deal with a relative dusting of snow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vvv90 said:
The rain causes ridiculous wheel spin/fish tailing....I can only imagine what the snow would do.....I'm not going to find out.

Rain is fun. Snow, not so much.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Orion said:
Could have sworn I said I tapped the brakes.

ESP was on.

What tires do you have? I'm still running my SRT8 on the stock Front P245/45ZR20 and Rear P255/45ZR20 Perf. Tires
I dont have a SRT8, I have the C, and I have the Contis.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
jjs said:

Well I have the all weather RSA tires and I doubt the tread pattern is any more sporty than the C's but I'm not sure....All I know is rain is bad let alone snow.

I agree the only worth saying about snow and the F1's is....DUH!

·
Registered
28 Posts
JMatt said:
This post wins the prize for "I failed to pay attention to the forum I was in and failed to read the post and understand what it was about" prize.
This line wins the Award For Redundancy Award, from the Department For Redundancy Department, Washington D.C. Division, in Washington D.C.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
OK Jmatt, please show me where in the original post it says an SRT8 on F1 Performance tires.
He said he had an SRT8 after my original post.
Im awake, so pay attention.

JMatt said:
This post wins the prize for "I failed to pay attention to the forum I was in and failed to read the post and understand what it was about" prize.

What in the world does a 300C with Conti's have to do with an SRT-8 on F1 Performance tires? Nothing!!!!!!!! Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get sick of these "don't you know how to drive" posts from people who obviously have no clue about the difference in tires and performance - or WORSE - who can't even pay attention to the thread to figure out how inane their response is.

I drove to work today on my F1 performance tires in my SRT-8 (in bold some people don't miss that fact) and thought i'd experiment with some full-throttle: Mental note - no more full throttle until April. The car ripped loose so fast, and the rear-end hung out so far, that ESP didn't have a chance to catch it. Pirelli Scorpions are in my future. Full throttle is not.

BTW: we had an ice storm, and it was 10 degrees this morning. Although I put down the de-ice stuff, it barely works. See that my driveway is virtually level, yet I got wheelspin at IDLE trying to get out.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
NautcaSprt6 said:
OK Jmatt, please show me where in the original post it says an SRT8 on F1 Performance tires.
He said he had an SRT8 after my original post.
Im awake, so pay attention.
Nautca, it's considered a "given" since you're in the SRT8 forum... be sweet fellas!
:newangel:

·
Registered
17 Posts
why all the hostility

i get sick of threads from "forum commmando's" :AR15firin who are just waiting to pounce on CONTRIBUTORS with perhaps less knowledge or forum time, or both. not everyone reads every post, or spends 4 hours a day on this site. perhaps he overlooked the fact that this thread was in the srt-8 section. even if he didnt, perhaps he (or she) wasn't even aware the two cars come with different tires. jjs had it right. he/she simply stated the comparison wasnt applicable.

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Not a big deal really!!!

Might be another good case for members to please edit your profiles though... so it includes your car info under your username :wink1: :)
Please back on topic, no need to turn this into a boxing match... it's the holidays, be jolly!

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
HEMEEE said:
Might be another good case for members to please edit your profiles though... so it includes your car info under your username :wink1: :)

Hey, I didn't know you added that. Cool!

Now I can rub it in yer faces! :silly:

·
Registered
224 Posts
my audi S4, with quattro AWD, cannot stop any better than a 300c SRT-8 can on snow/ice. reason? we're both running hi-performance summer tires! my Audi's tires, your SRT-8 tires, and soon MY SRT-8 tires all become as hard as hockey pucks when the temps are under 40 degrees, and the world becomes a hockey rink.

My friends always tell me "I thought Audi's were supposed to be awesome in the snow", and I say "well, they ARE awesome to get you OUT of the snow, but they CERTAINLY don't keep you from sliding INTO it!!"

(of course, if you do a ton of winter driving, snow tires are a must)

Best comment thus far on this thread: snow days = work-from-home days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts