Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 36k on a 2006 300C SRT8. No problems yet with the brakes, but planning an upgrade during maintenance. Both slotted and drilled rotors are available from Brembo. I know Chrysler puts out the slotted rotors. Any bigger advantage with drilled?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I prefer the slotted look but to each his own but its gotta be one or the other cause im pretty sure i heard its not good to have both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
no drill

per our resident bbrake guru, no drilled rotors. Slotted is the way to go. Forum sponsor has factory mopar ones for sixty something bucks each!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I heard the drilled ones have cracking problems and don't last as long. There aren't any arguable problems with slotted. Just pick up the Chrysler SRt ones. You can't go wrong with rotors actually engineered by the same company that makes your car!

·
Administrator
14,580 Posts
I heard the drilled ones have cracking problems and don't last as long. There aren't any arguable problems with slotted. Just pick up the Chrysler SRt ones. You can't go wrong with rotors actually engineered by the same company that makes your car!
Yes, and the SRT Engineers don't recommend them either as they take away mass from the rotors which could cause catastrophic results, using their words.

Bernie

·
Registered
535 Posts
thanx guys, i had the same question.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I suggest drilled for looks and slotted for performance. Many racers have an issue with drilled rotors cracking on the track whereas slotted rotors do not.

Just my $0.02 :)

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I couldn't decide....so

I got drilled and slotted for my C......:fing02:

·
Registered
331 Posts
You'll never have problems on a street car with properly made cross-drilled rotors. I've put 135K on my cross-drilled rotors on my Durango with no more warping issues...that I had with the stock rotors. Nor any problems with my Talon or Stealth turbo with cross-drilled. I've used Porterfield Racing and never had an issue.
If Cross-Drilled is so bad and crack, why does the Corvette C-6, even the Z06 version, Porsche and even Ferrari equipped their cars with cross-drilled rotors? Only car I've seen with slotted is the SRT LX...and its probably because of cost. Not saying they are worse than cross-drilled, but I've been very satisifed with the performance gain I've received from cross-drilled rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
once again

You'll never have problems on a street car with properly made cross-drilled rotors. I've put 135K on my cross-drilled rotors on my Durango with no more warping issues...that I had with the stock rotors. Nor any problems with my Talon or Stealth turbo with cross-drilled. I've used Porterfield Racing and never had an issue.
If Cross-Drilled is so bad and crack, why does the Corvette C-6, even the Z06 version, Porsche and even Ferrari equipped their cars with cross-drilled rotors? Only car I've seen with slotted is the SRT LX...and its probably because of cost. Not saying they are worse than cross-drilled, but I've been very satisifed with the performance gain I've received from cross-drilled rotors.
Per Dave Z, a guy who lives, eats, and breathes brakes, STREET is ok for cross drilled. Few real track cars use them anymore.

FWIW, I've used them on every hot car/truck I've owned for years and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
On a street car it comes down to personal preference. On a track car I never suggest using drilled rotors. :)

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Aaron

·
Registered
345 Posts
Per Dave Z, a guy who lives, eats, and breathes brakes, STREET is ok for cross drilled. Few real track cars use them anymore.

FWIW, I've used them on every hot car/truck I've owned for years and never had a problem.
Basically its the strenuous stress that is put on the brakes/rotors at the track vs everday use on the street. So properly cross drilled rotors are fine for the street because you will hardly ever see that much use and stress on the street.

I really like my slotted rotors. I thought putting cross drilled but the slotted looks fine and I liking em more and more.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
You'll never have problems on a street car with properly made cross-drilled rotors.
Never say never. :)

The issue is heat cycling. If you repeatedly force your rotors above and below a critical temperature threshold enough times, they will begin to develop tiny surface cracks, which will eventually grow enough to require rotor replacement. Drilled rotors will do this significantly faster than plain or slotted rotors.

Normally this does not happen on the street. However, I have a few customers in southern Florida who drive 140mph on Alligator Alley late at night and conduct repeated high speed braking exercises. This is what I would consider full race conditions and the ideal conditions for destroying drilled rotors.

On the other hand, it is possible to take drilled rotors to a race track and not have them crack. If the track has repeated braking zones, with no long straights so that the rotors get glowing hot but never have a chance to drop below a critical temperature, then heat cycling does not occur and you can run them all day long. Again, it's all about repeatedly driving them above and below a critical temperature range that causes them to self destruct. A track with heavy braking zones, followed by long straights where the brakes can cool off is a brake killer.

In a word, marketing. The perception among the general public is that race cars use drilled rotors, even though these have fallen from favor in racing many many years ago.

You give General Motors too much credit for brake engineering (or deployment) when you hold them out as an example. In the case of the Corvette C6 and C6 Z06, the rotors are directional, but they didn't bother to make a right side part. In other words, the driver's side rotors are correct, but the passenger side rotors are backwards! The engineers designed the proper curved vanes inside the rotors for cooling, but the beancounters decided to save money by only producing left side rotors. See: How to properly install plain, slotted, or drilled brake rotors for a bit more clarity on this topic.

As for Porsche and Ferrari, they may have a better idea about what they are doing than GM. Even with such exotic cars, the vast majority of them never see any track time. Since drilled rotors save an additional quarter pound or so over slotted rotors, there's a slight weight (and thus performance) gain to be had from using them. Furthermore, drilled rotors produce slightly better bite than slotted rotors. So if a car was NEVER to be taken to the track (or abused on Alligator Alley), then from an engineering perspective, drilled rotors are the better solution. That's why, for example, I put drilled StopTech big brakes on my BMW 540i 6-Speed. I'm never taking that thing to the track. Not that it wouldn't be fun. But the Corvette would be far more fun.

So that's where it comes down to a personal preference thing. I look at my upgraded BMW brakes and am somewhat conflicted by my decision. I know drilled rotors made sense from an engineering perspective, since the BMW is never tracked. But many years at the track, seeing almost nothing but slotted rotors in the pits, has changed my sense of aesthetic regarding brake rotors. To me, slotted rotors look more serious than drilled rotors. That's one reason my SRT8 got slotted StopTech big brakes.

Don't even get me started on slotted AND drilled rotors! ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
you should really bring that directional vane issue to the attention of those who own corvettes. wouldn't that be a safety issue and potentially be grounds for a TSB / recall?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
you should really bring that directional vane issue to the attention of those who own corvettes. wouldn't that be a safety issue and potentially be grounds for a TSB / recall?
It only becomes significant when the car is tracked. And in that case, most Corvette owners are already looking to replace the drilled rotors with slotted or plain rotors, since the cracking of drilled rotors under racing conditions is a well known and frequently discussed topic on the Corvette forums.

·
Registered
270 Posts
right, but still shouldn't it just be done right from the factory? the vettes are amazing all around but for what you'd pay for a vette shouldn't they at least fix that flaw? or at least give it straight vanes if the bean counters are really concerned yea?

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
how it works

Bean counters... hold down the costs

Lawyers... write the disclaimers.

Since it's only a problem on the track, and the car carries a disclaimer for "racing", then Chevy is off the hook.

BTW, I can't believe a car like the ZO6 has any issues with brakes. They are massive, and the car is surprisingly light.

The standard brakes on the regular C6 are OK, but even the upgraded ones are still NOTHING like what I see on the ZO6.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts