Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this was an unpleasant surprise... I just got my JBA titanium ceramic shorties & high flow cats installed last week, and I went to the dragstrip today in excitement. Unfortunately due to weather, they weren't running the 1/4 mile runs, and only had the 1/8 mile runs instead (weird since its the same track and it was dry past the 1/8 mile mark but w/e).

After doing a few runs, I felt I was doing ok, but then I checked a picture of my slip from April when I set my all time record of 13.456 s @102.86 mph, and noticed that on that run my 1/8 mile was better.

My top 3 runs today were:

8.828 s @ 79.09 mph
8.907 s @ 80.41 mph
8.943 @ 80.42 mph

Without any reference that may seem nice and all, but on my April run mentioned above I had 8.633 s @ 82.01 mph

Essentially, roughly 0.3 s & 2 mph faster than with Shorties & High Flow Cats ... how does that make any sense? Shouldn't the shorties and cats improve exhuast flow and give you about 20 hp / tq? (that's what it said on the JBA website, roughly 5 from the pipes and 15 from the headers).

I did also install a front & rear strut bar on the car, but that couldn't have added so much weight as to counteract the benefits of headers & then some...

Could it be that my 1/8 mile time is worse, but had they recorded my 1/4 mile time it would have been better because headers reduce low end torque / hp but increase it higher up, thus changing you power curve??? I just want to make sense of this because based on all the crap I went through to get these parts & have them installed, and the amount of money I spent on them, it really upsets me to have a worse time than before...

Before doing that April run, I did change my tranny fluid, and it felt amazing, like a new tranny. Since then it has gotten a bit sluggish again, so could that be it? My 0-60 times are worse tooo... i was getting low 5's and high 4's, best was 4.76, now its high 5's and low 6's...

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
My experience is lower back pressure, means less hp/tq down low and more up top.
I don't enough about drag racing to back this up, but what about the weather? I always hear on the tube about heavier air and so forth affecting run times.

Just thoughts, but I totally understand the frustration

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weather was roughly the same today as it was in April (cold & windy), however today the track was a tad moist due to rain yesterday (but I have AWD so slippage wasn't really an issue)

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
If the Density Altitude was similar then you may be able to compare.

Typically moving the torque curve upward hurts acceleration at lower speeds as the HP/TQ are further up the rev range. Without tuning to match your new exhaust you may be experiencing this...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think a tune would solve the problem? I'm already running DS 93 Octane CAi Tune, which I also ran in April, but I guess you mean a custom Dyno Tune. There is a local dyno shop that has an AWD dyno, I'll give them a shout and see what they can do. The cost is 250 per hour, though I don't know how much a tune would be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts