Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to chime in on this. I have the same engine in my jeep.
The issue is an oil leak. Im not sure where it is coming from but check to make sure there are no leaks on the turbo mount or the oil cooler seals.
The oil leaks down into the passenger side where the DPF pipe is. Every now and then the DPF does the regen process and burns all the particulates into ash. when this happens it heats up very hot causing anything near it to burn too. so if there is oil on it its gonna burn and smoke really REALLY BAD!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry not to come back on this before now

We nailed it BTW! it was a dud (reused) gasket on the exhaust.

We managed to spot it with the car in the air, for us it was escaping from a triangular shaped flange gasket on top of the 'Y' piece, just below the turbo.

What we spotted was one tiny little puff of black smoke each time the engine was started. Every single time, when initially started up, just as the engine catches one little black shot of exhaust escaping.

What I became convinced of was this;
  • There was a small-ish continuous exhaust leak,
  • The small black puff as the engine first catches on start up is a natural thing for a diesel, but enabled us to spot the leak.
  • Once the engine is running the exhaust runs clear enough to be invisible making it tricky to find the leak.
  • Periodically, from time to time the engine 'does something' (Programmatically?) which makes a whole lot of white smoke (in this section of the exhaust at any rate) and this was very evident escaping in the engine bay.
  • We could always smell a little bit of exhaust in the car but were never sure if it was a current leak or lingering from the last time it had had a 'white smoking fit'. it was in fact a continuous leak.
  • Maybe this 'white smoke' would have been visible (but much more expected) at the rear of the car, or maybe greatly reduced by the DPF, or maybe didn't make it through at all. I'm not sure, the white smoke events had sometimes weeks in between and tended to concentrate ones attention to the front of the car. If you were at speed when it did a white smoke i doubt you would have been aware.
Anyway the mechanic who did the oil cooler/turbo off job for me sorted the gasket out. The slight exhaust smell left the car immediately which convinced me straightaway that we'd sussed it, and the car has never put out white smoke from the engine bay ever again. I've also never noticed it emitting a bit of periodic white smoke from the rear, but then i don't really look and wonder if i'd notice.

The old girl is still entertaining us, going from strength to strength and smashing it as a family wagon!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Periodically, from time to time the engine 'does something' (Programmatically?) which makes a whole lot of white smoke
I experienced this when the car was fairly new and still under warranty. If you do a search on the Forum, you will find numerous references to "white smoke". The problem vanished following a routine service by the Chrysler dealer. I suspected that the DPF regeneration cycle could have been the issue and that a program update may have cured it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts