Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was wondering if I could get a random sampling from a number of different 300 model (Base/Touring/Limited/300C) owners advising if your models actually came with ashtrays mounted within the rear door storage areas?

Although the only units (which my dealership has left on his lot) all do, they are still actually unable to give me a definitive answer, but do claim that the Smoker's Group option only comprises a small black front dash astray insert and the cigarette lighter element unit itself. I confirmed this today by visiting their parts department simply to verify 'in person' that the Smoker's Group option only consists of these two measly items and nothing more...and it in fact only consists of the two small items in question. The rear passenger compartment ashtrays do have a replacement part number and are available for purchase.

Although I nor my passengers will ever be smoking in my car, on the other hand, I still want to make sure that maybe my rear ashtrays weren't just accidentally omitted during manufacture or maybe removed before I accepted the vehicle. Although my car didn't list as coming with the Smokers Group option (one which I didn't opt for), I must have evidently received it anyway, as I do have the small ashtray insert and the cigarette lighter unit. Please advise and thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Mine, built 10/04 has just storage 'bins' although I did order the smokers group and got the ashtray and element.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
C-Man said:
I didn't order the smokers group and I got the console ashtray but no lighter element.
If your 'ashtray' feels like felt or some other covering, it is not to be used as an ashtray. They call is something silly like 'phone holder'. The ashtray is hard 'polished' plastic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i ordered smokers option, in my 2005 and did not get backdeet ashtrays

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I am not sure I would want them in the position shown anyway. Even though I don't smoke in the car (got the option in case later I would), those in the picture are way too low and near carpeting, etc. for glowing embers to get near.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't quite understand. You said the car did not list the smokers group, but you got the ash tray and lighter unit. I don't have the smokers group, but i have the plastic insert that appears could be used as an ash tray as well as a 12v outlet. When you say lighter unit, did you get the lighter element or just the outlet like I have?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
jeepgrady said:
I don't quite understand. You said the car did not list the smokers group, but you got the ash tray and lighter unit. I don't have the smokers group, but i have the plastic insert that appears could be used as an ash tray as well as a 12v outlet. When you say lighter unit, did you get the lighter element or just the outlet like I have?
OK, I ordered the option, I just don't smoke in the car. Got the lighter element (thingy you press in and it heats up) as well as a polished plastic insert for the opening next to the element behind the 'ashtray door'. From what I recall, those without the option had a more felt like lining of the little plastic 'tray' for phones, change, etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
joey said:
This a picture from Ebay. I believe this is a Non-smoker setup because there isn't a lighter. But there is a plastic ashtray receptacle.

I did not get the Smokers Group on my C-AWD, and this is exactly what mine looks like as well. Ashtray, no lighter, removeable/replaceable plastic cover the socket.

You know, it occurs to me that I have not bothered to check that the socket is actually wired up. I just assumed it was. Guess I should investigate that.

....sT

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have all the ashtrays and the cig lighter if someone wants them. (includes rear doors) and they match the light interior.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
jeepgrady said:
The above posted photo is what my '300 Touring' actually came with, although it supposedly didn't come equipped with the Smoker Group option. Come to think of it, neither was the 'adjustable pedals' feature, but I also received that as well...at no additional charge (weren't listed on my window sticker). The attached photo is what my rear doors don't have and I'm not sure why, as it seems that many with the Smoker's Group also don't have them in their vehicles either, and some without the Smokers Group option actually do? I wouldn't really use them either, but I'd also just like to have them because the mounting points are actually there inside the bottom door panels and just gives me the impression that something is missing.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5point7 said:
I have all the ashtrays and the cig lighter if someone wants them. (includes rear doors) and they match the light interior.
Heck, I'll even buy them from you or from anybody else if they're in Medium Slate Gray...at a reasonable price of course. My Chrysler dealer has to order them, and besides, I feel that they still owe them to me anyway.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If it is true that current Smokers Group buyers are not getting the rear ashtrays, then somewhere along the way Chrysler intentially stopped installing the door ashtrays. I just checked the Chrysler website and there is no mention of the rear ash trays. I don't recall if the rear ash trays were ever listed when I bought my C back in May, but it was common knowledge that the Smokers Group included rear ashtrays.

Per this thread that lists all the 2005 to 2006 changes, the elimination of the rear ash trays is listed.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2837&highlight=2006

Rear Door Ash Receivers removed (MCM) from Smoker's Pkg
All
All

If it is true that Chrysler stopped installing the rear ashtrays on the 2005 cars, then it seems kind of slimy to me they continued to charge the same $30 for the Smokers Group. I guess this how to run a business and make a profit. It is those little things that add-up.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
As I stated previously, I didn't get the smoker group. After seeing the picture above, that little black tray is in my car, but no lighter element. My back doors do not have the cut out to place the ash tray in.

Let me tell you, for $40. you get a lighter element? You can pick one up for like $5. in any store.

·
Registered
230 Posts
joey said:
This a picture from Ebay. I believe this is a Non-smoker setup because there isn't a lighter. But there is a plastic ashtray receptacle. The arrow points to the cigarette holder.
That's what mine has too, the hard polished plastic ashtray.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts