Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manufacture tire size on my 300 is 215/65/17 (Goodyear Intergitys). When I purchased my car they gave me a document that said DO NOT PLACE CHAINS ON THESE TIRES.

Is this in referance to the tires themselves or is their an issue with putting chains on a 300 altogether? Has anyone used chains on their stock tires before? Any issues? The dealership did not have an answer. Im leaving to Reno on Friday and need to know if I can chain up if needed.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Id imagine it has to do with the tires. I remember readin somewhere that the new blizzaks actually preform better then tires with chains on them. You may want to consider those.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
The manufacture tire size on my 300 is 215/65/17 (Goodyear Intergitys). When I purchased my car they gave me a document that said DO NOT PLACE CHAINS ON THESE TIRES.

Is this in referance to the tires themselves or is their an issue with putting chains on a 300 altogether? Has anyone used chains on their stock tires before? Any issues? The dealership did not have an answer. Im leaving to Reno on Friday and need to know if I can chain up if needed.

Thanks.

Mark
Check your manual Mark. Mine says we can use SAE "S" Class chains. I don't know if the base model manuals say that or not though, but the C and SRT8 manuals do. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to. Mine is on page 211.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
im sure we have differnt tires then him bernie. Our cars came with the Contis or the the GY Rsa's, They use different tires now - contis --> gy integrity, and Gy RSA ---> GY f1 supercar

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
im sure we have differnt tires then him bernie. Our cars came with the Contis or the the GY Rsa's, They use different tires now - contis --> gy integrity, and Gy RSA ---> GY f1 supercar
Yeah I know, but you'd figure he'd have all kinds of extra room in the wheel wells with his OEM wheels. There are areas of the US and Canada where it's mandatory to use chains otherwise they just don't let you through. I'm waiting to see if his manual is the same as ours.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
I brought this topic up over 2 years ago was also required to sign a 'Tire Chain Disclosure' before the rest of my contract was completed.

The salesman said the chains might cause damage to the tire well area and then would not be covered under warranty. With 18" tires, that might be very possible.

Cali. is one state that almost always requires chains rather than snow tires. Some 4-wheel drives are often required to chain up!

Better yet, they just close down the main interstates due to heavy snows and you're either stuck in it for hours or need to find another route around it if you know ahead of time. Thank goodness for the 800 Road Conditions system from Caltrans.

bruno

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Yeah, that was my point. I've been through places where they will turn you back without chains. Wonder where he went. Probably searching for his manual???

What was the outcome of your situation bruno, and more specifically, is it in the 300C manual?

Bernie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bernie,

It would appear that the 300 manual does not discriminate weather it is a "C" or a "Base". My manual, on page 279 says the same as yours in referance to the chains on tires...

-Use only compact chains or other traction aids that meet SAE type, Class S specifications. Chains mustr be proper size as recommended by the manufacture.

-Use on rear wheels only.

-Do not exceed 30mph.

-Because of restricted chain clearance between tires and other suspension components, it is important that only chains in good condition are used.

It would appear that chain use is OK. Why would the dealer have me sign that? Chains are required over I-80 into Reno regardless of 4WD or snow tires. So looks like I gotta bite the bullet and purchase a set just in case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to follow up on this thread since I went ahead and purchased chains and actually drove them in the slush...

First off, I got the chains from Les Schwab and although about 20 bucks more, they are well worth the money! (I'll explain in a minutete)...

The chains are well built and come in a sturdy bag with instructions that are printed on a 2' x 3' plastic sheet that can be doubled as a mat so you dont get your knees all soaked while installing. They went on both tires in about 7 mins total. They were not the cable type, rather the chain link type. Never did rub on the wheel well and helped the car handle great in the snow up to 35 mph. No slippage at all and definately feel comfortable using these again on OEM tire sizes and wheels.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Were they the S Class chains you bought? Glad it all worked out though.

Bernie

·
Registered
408 Posts
I put 4 Michlen x latitude on my 06 touring when I had it and that car was wonderful in the snow and the hills around where I live. Never got stuck all winter and drove it every day. When I traded it for the 07C I bought a set of S chains and leave them in the bag just in case. Now when it snows the equivalent I take the wife's Grand Cherokee. In my opinion the touring models with snow tires are wonderful while the C model's are not as well in the hills. Might just be me but the touring model was much better in the snow especially when fitted with snow tires. Stock tires on the C so that may be part of the reason why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts