Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just for fun....for those who get snow in the winter how many are driving thier 300C and how many have them tucked away in the garage. Mine has been in the garage for only a week now but its driving me nuts sitting there and not driving it. I like the fact that when we get a snow fall its protected and I hate thinking about all the slush and road salt getting up in the wheel wells and undercarriage and freezing but I can't stand not driving it all winter Any tips on storing it. The manual says if the car hasn't been started for more than a week to start it and run the a/c.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Hemilover said:
Just for fun....for those who get snow in the winter how many are driving thier 300C and how many have them tucked away in the garage. Mine has been in the garage for only a week now but its driving me nuts sitting there and not driving it. I like the fact that when we get a snow fall its protected and I hate thinking about all the slush and road salt getting up in the wheel wells and undercarriage and freezing but I can't stand not driving it all winter Any tips on storing it. The manual says if the car hasn't been started for more than a week to start it and run the a/c.
You pay that kind of money and then you store it in a garage? Go out and drive it, every once in a while take it to a laser car wash and run it through. It also gets the under carriage and not like some people say, it does not do damage to the car, and then when spring comes give it a good spring cleaning. Enjoy your ride!!!!
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laser Car Wash

Mikeyjohn:
What is a laser car wash? We must have them in Canada because you are from Calgary. Does Petro Canada have them?
I agree about the cost of the car and not driving it , I get it from my friends all the time. I bought it as a retirement present for myself and I want it to last a long time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Totally agree Mikeyjohn!!

Laser car washes are all over the USA too. Basically a touchless car wash system. Gets the salt off of them. I live in MN and of course I am driving the 300C in the snow. I have always had SUV's and still own a Durango that my wife now drives. I have never worried about salt ruining my vehicles, because I don't ever keep them long enough to see rust nor do most people! Even with very salty roads I can attest that most new cars handle the salt with no problems. Just rinse off the salt every week or so. It really takes a lot to eat away at the paint jobs we get on our new rides these days.

Probably actually better for you to drive the car than to store it IMHO.

I know people who go the whole MN winter with out washing their vehicle and in the summer that vehicle still looks like new once its all washed up. I think the whole salt will ruin your cars is overated with todays paint and clearcoat technologies. Sure in time it maybe does some harm, but we are talking mega mega years before you see a problem from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Hemilover said:
Mikeyjohn:
What is a laser car wash? We must have them in Canada because you are from Calgary. Does Petro Canada have them?
I agree about the cost of the car and not driving it , I get it from my friends all the time. I bought it as a retirement present for myself and I want it to last a long time!
This is the latest and greatest, no touch carwash that Esso has. They just upgraded my neighbourhood gas bar last summer and I have been using it, it also puts a special filtered water on at the end due to our hard water and then blow dries the car. I do believe that Petro Can has the same type but I only use the Esso as it is close. We also have a Husky outlet that is close where you do it yourself, but I made a mistake with my 300M and tried them and used that soap brush that scratched the paint. I will use my Esso until spring and then do it myself and then maybe a wax job which I have never done yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Nolmscheid said:
Totally agree Mikeyjohn!!

Laser car washes are all over the USA too. Basically a touchless car wash system. Gets the salt off of them. I live in MN and of course I am driving the 300C in the snow. I have always had SUV's and still own a Durango that my wife now drives. I have never worried about salt ruining my vehicles, because I don't ever keep them long enough to see rust nor do most people! Even with very salty roads I can attest that most new cars handle the salt with no problems. Just rinse off the salt every week or so. It really takes a lot to eat away at the paint jobs we get on our new rides these days.

Probably actually better for you to drive the car than to store it IMHO.

I know people who go the whole MN winter with out washing their vehicle and in the summer that vehicle still looks like new once its all washed up. I think the whole salt will ruin your cars is overated with todays paint and clearcoat technologies. Sure in time it maybe does some harm, but we are talking mega mega years before you see a problem from it.
I agree, 100%, now go out and have fun!!!!!
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Snow!!!


Hemilover, I agree with everything Mikeyjohn says. The 300C is the best built car I have every owned. The Hemi motor is noted for long life. Drive it. Clean it. Enjoy it!!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
CV Stored Mostly

I live in Wisconsin so winters can be rough around here. Lately we've had mild winters, not worried about the salt rusting my cars just don't have the time to wash it off right away but my worry is the salt that is put down on the roads damaging my pretty rims :eek: , (happened in the past I was sick for days :mad: ). So for me I will be storing mine for the most part, and occassionally driving her in the winter months just so the blood can run through her veins, and she's not cooped up in the garage all winter every now and then:). Since it will be occassionally I'm not changing my after market wheels, I will wax them up that should protect them for the few days I do drive Mrs SexC. I believe it's a personal choice. I currently store another car in winters so I'm use to it. Again thats just me. Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
As I said in a previous post. The whole salt issue is so overated. I have NEVER seen a NEW car start rusting because of the salt...you wash it off once a week. No biggie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
Audi and some others ues 100% galvanized two sided panels, I don't know about the C but I plan to drive mine and weekly wash with the touchless system. The only car I parked was my beloved 80 Citroen CX which was totally rust free (most were not).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I live in MN as well and also see that the new paints seem to be really up to the task of keeping the salts from doing any real serious damage.

Although, it hasn't snowed much at all this year here in MN! I just got back from Steamboat CO, and there was plenty there to ski in and beat up on the rental Durango some. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
HaTaX - where are you from in MN?

Yeah we have not had much snow yet, but we have Lots of sand and salt on the roads from our few days of glare ice we had this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
If you are concerned about salt... just take a hose at a car wash and flush out the wheel-wells and your wheels. In most cases there is little that will rust underneath a car any way. Undercoating is a waste of money. Cars are being built to better resist underbody corrosion.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top