1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm inquiring for information concerning
snow tires for the 300C.

I want to know if it is recommennded to put 4 snow tires
or just 2 tires in the rear ? Are studded tires an options?

I also would be interested in purchasing rims
for the snow tires and wanted to know if
there are special rims to use.

Are snow tires recommended?

Thanks, east95

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Their are no 18" snow tires available for 300C size of 225/60/18, so you would have to use 17" rims and tires or a taller tire is size 235/60/18. Snow tires are recommended for all four now. Go to www.tirerack.com for options. Good Luck.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Regarding 17" rims - I was advised by my dealer's service manager that 17" rims are too small to clear over the large disc rotors and calipers on the 300C.

Perhaps the OEM Conti all seasons, along with the ABS, yaw control and traction control will be enough for winter driving?

I live in Ottawa and we are still waiting for our first snow. Does anyone have first hand info of OEM performance on snow and ice?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
As a general rule 17" wheels don't fit the 300C however, some 17" wheels will have more clearance than others. My E55 AMG has 18" rims and some 17" rims will fit but not all. It depends on how the rim is built inside. This is the one that Tire Rack states will fit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bridgestone makes an 18" Blizzak WS-50 in a 235/55R18 size that I think would probably be suitable on the 300C. It has a slightly smaller diameter than the stock tire but not so much that it should make a big difference IMO. I'm going to look into these.

We've been driving around in snow for the last several days and are coming to the conclusion that snow tires are probably going to be needed. We gave up an AWD van for the 300C and my wife (she drives it the most) is starting to miss the traction she had with AWD. When I drove it, I found it relatively easy to make the rear end fishtail.

With regard to 2 or 4 tires, I think it's probably best to go with 4 because I don't think you want to have one end of the car becoming unstuck preferentially to the other, even with ESP. Still a valid question, though. These tires will be about $150 each and I don't think you get more than 12-15,000 miles on them before they're worn out. I'll ask the tire dealers what they recommend in this regard, but we all know what they'll say!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Bridgestone will only sell Blizzaks in sets of four since the traction is so superior that the car could become unstable. With rears only the rears stick and the fronts don't could result in extreme understeer sending you across the double yellow line into a snow plow and ultimately your final resting place. You should get 3 - 4 seasons out of Blizzaks, you might consider the nylon chains through Autosport which looks like a great product, I am thinking of these if our size is available.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got some prices on the Blizzac WS-50 235/55R18 tires this afternoon. TireRack has them for $135 ea. plus shipping ($64 for four). One local dealer would sell, mount and balance for $170 ea. but would have to order them in (only 2 days delay). Local Firestone dealer has 8 in stock and will sell, mount and balance for $155 ea.

BTW, TireRack is recommending 235/60R18 snowtires for the 300C. They would be slightly larger (about 1/2" diameter) than the stock tire. They suggest Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 ($194 ea.!!!) or Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow ($149 ea.). Firestone said the Blizzak WS-50 235/55s should be just fine also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Regarding 17" rims - I was advised by my dealer's service manager that 17" rims are too small to clear over the large disc rotors and calipers on the 300C.

Perhaps the OEM Conti all seasons, along with the ABS, yaw control and traction control will be enough for winter driving?

I live in Ottawa and we are still waiting for our first snow. Does anyone have first hand info of OEM performance on snow and ice?
Found a 17" rim for my C. Its a Alba chase 17X7.5, with pirelli scorpion ice. 235/65/17.

It was bitch trying to find a rim to clear the big brake kit. Looked everywhere, the dealer tried at least 15 kinds of rims.

Because its a new car its hard to find someting that will fit.
You dont have a big selection either. What we're buying for winter, other people like honda owners are using for summer as there high end rims, but we have no choice.
Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful information. You are all making it easy for many of us to keep our 300's setup for winter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Always 4 tires,,, have tired blizz and the artic alpins, the alpins work way better than Blizz,,,,,,,, Anyone try siping the tires??? It is a cheat way to have better traction than stock, had my truck done at Discount tire, 32 bucks,,, tires are supposed to last longer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I put AWD factory rims with winter tire's on my 300 that is not AWD? I have 20" SRT rims on now and just bought the car and planing ahead for next winter.....thanks for any info!!

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Can I put AWD factory rims with winter tire's on my 300 that is not AWD? I have 20" SRT rims on now and just bought the car and planing ahead for next winter.....thanks for any info!!
The wheel offset for the RWD and AWD cars are different. Sorry they are not interchangeable. The AWD rims will go inward too much when put on an RWD car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts