Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my MSRT-8 for two months and have scraped the front spoiler (underneath)twice. Both times on a normal sized curb. I have started to back in when I park. Also for those who are waiting on your Magnum srt-8's BE CAREFUL going into any kind of inclined driveway.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Are there any DCX made skidplates for these cars? I know MB makes skid plates for all of their cars (you can even go into a dealership and buy a new skid plate for a 20 year old MB).
Richard

·
Registered
593 Posts
My bank account is going to bottom out when I take delivery of my car...but a $300 payment on a $45,000 car? I'm not complaining...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I scraped up our underchin going over on of these "speed humps" you find in neighborhoods. It has a rather strange shape to it, I guess, as all of our vehicles ride harsh over it a low speed. I don't take the SRT8 that way, or if I have too, it requires a very slow crawl over it(I think the upramp side of it is very steep causing the suspension to push the front down as the rear goes up it)..

Todd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, bottomed out a number of times. In fact, I was doing a high speed run on a local freeway when I bottomed out on a little dip in the road that had a little debris. Part of the bottom skid plate ripped off and the rest was dangling. I brought it to the body shop and when the car was lifted it showed a rip in the bumper six inches long! I was also amazed at how many scrapes I had under the bumper. Instead of an $80 charge for the skid plate and installation, I am now looking at around $1100 for skid plate installation and a newly painted front bumper!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a couple of times backing out of my driveway, I gotta hit the angle just right to avoid it. I've become pretty good at it, now that I've said that, I'll scrape it next time lol. Can't back in, if I did it would rip the whole thing off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anyone knows if there are skid plates available for our cars, please post.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yep i got some lovely scratches on the bottom of lip..but you really cant see it unless you get on your knees and look under..i dont think ill worry about it tho..i juss try to remember where to be carefull so as not to do it again...

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Hannibal said:
If anyone knows if there are skid plates available for our cars, please post.
I don't know what a skid plate would do; it's the front spoiler under the bumper that is the problem. Certainly don't wanna put something under there that makes it even lower. I scraped my dad's going into my driveway but he had already scraped it once too so I didn't feel so bad; plus you have to actually be UNDER the car to see the scrapes.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
kevenj said:
I don't know what a skid plate would do; it's the front spoiler under the bumper that is the problem. Certainly don't wanna put something under there that makes it even lower. I scraped my dad's going into my driveway but he had already scraped it once too so I didn't feel so bad; plus you have to actually be UNDER the car to see the scrapes.
It's not the bumper I'm worried about, but the important things like the oil pan and such. I know there is a bottom cover, but that's plastic isn't it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's plastic yes. I think you would have to do something silly, like run OVER a curb to do any serious damage like that. Possible running over something....like a pallet on the freeway, or whatever might cause some serious damage, but that would be with most any car.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
marlinspike said:
It's not the bumper I'm worried about, but the important things like the oil pan and such. I know there is a bottom cover, but that's plastic isn't it?

There's no way you are gonna damage any of that stuff unless you take it off road. The car only sits 1/2" lower than a 300C overall, it's the front spoiler that the regular "C" doesn't have that scrapes.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Rebel78 said:
It's plastic yes. I think you would have to do something silly, like run OVER a curb to do any serious damage like that. Possible running over something....like a pallet on the freeway, or whatever might cause some serious damage, but that would be with most any car.
Maybe the suspension in the SRT is stiff enough to prevent this, but if you haven't bottomed out (the way the phrase really means, not running over something or scraping something) you aren't driving hard enough :smoker:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
marlinspike said:
Maybe the suspension in the SRT is stiff enough to prevent this, but if you haven't bottomed out (the way the phrase really means, not running over something or scraping something) you aren't driving hard enough :smoker:

I bet even if you "bottomed out" the suspension the body of the car would not bottom out. Sounds like you are using the SRT8 in situations where you should be in a 4x4 truck! different vehicles for different purposes!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
kevenj said:
I bet even if you "bottomed out" the suspension the body of the car would not bottom out. Sounds like you are using the SRT8 in situations where you should be in a 4x4 truck! different vehicles for different purposes!
Well, I haven't done it with the SRT8 yet, but two examples of what I'm talking about
http://www.karocom.de/TRAILERII.wmv (seconds 28-32, 36-38, and 1:16-1:17)
or
The first segment of the Bullitt chase scene.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hannibal said:
I have had my MSRT-8 for two months and have scraped the front spoiler (underneath)twice. Both times on a normal sized curb. I have started to back in when I park. Also for those who are waiting on your Magnum srt-8's BE CAREFUL going into any kind of inclined driveway.

Yep, mee too, cant see the scratches, thank goodness !
You gotta scratch it to learn....

·
Registered
279 Posts
but thast not bottoming out, thats just scraping the the front bumper on stuff... if you want a way to fix it, get air bags, then you can lift the front of the car up, just a suggestion...

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
slawkins31 said:
but thast not bottoming out, thats just scraping the the front bumper on stuff... if you want a way to fix it, get air bags, then you can lift the front of the car up, just a suggestion...
We have airbags standard. Don't you need a high speed frontal collision to activate them? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts