Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out with the salesman and we drove for a few minutes out to the countryside to do a straight sprint. All was well until I hit the gas (which is where my question for you smart guys is)...
The car took off strong for about a three seconds (tires spinning for the first two and a half)
The car then violently shuddered and acceleration slowed.
After that the car regained its composure and went flying.
On the drive back to the lot however, more goofy things happened (all acting like transmission issues)
We were going steady at about 40 mph and then the car made a single jarring motion. I then put my foot slightly on the pedal to increase speed about 3 mph and the tach just floated up to 3000rpm like it was in neutral.
Holding the pedal to the floor made no difference, it just sat at 3krpm.
So I pulled over, tried to go again and it didn't go. I put the car in park, brought back down into drive, and then it worked!
What's going on??
The check engine light came on in the process of this and the salesman said he'd send it in to get fixed. I have every intention of buying the car still. It's a Charcoal 07 300c with smartbeam, heated front and rear seats, rear dvd, navigation, etc. So it's more than I could ever need which makes me want it more for some reason, and then it has to behave like that.:dead1:
Have any of you guys had this problem or know what's going on with it??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
If the CEL came on and the revs were limited to 3k, it sounds like "limp mode." But the only way to recover from that IIRC is to turn the car off, and then back on. Going to Park and then back to drive wouldn't, or shouldn't have solved the rev limit issue.

Definitely sounds like a tranny problem... and they certainly better fix such a thing.

What was the model year, and mileage on the car? Could be the O-ring leakage with some water having gotten into the tranny... I'd definitely make sure they solved it thoroughly before buying that particular vehicle.

Glad it didn't put you off on the car though...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i wouldnt buy THAT car....look for a diffferent in the same color, save yourself the headache
ditto.
dont even think about buyin a car you already know has a problem.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the CEL came on and the revs were limited to 3k, it sounds like "limp mode." But the only way to recover from that IIRC is to turn the car off, and then back on. Going to Park and then back to drive wouldn't, or shouldn't have solved the rev limit issue.

Definitely sounds like a tranny problem... and they certainly better fix such a thing.

What was the model year, and mileage on the car? Could be the O-ring leakage with some water having gotten into the tranny... I'd definitely make sure they solved it thoroughly before buying that particular vehicle.

Glad it didn't put you off on the car though...
The car has 20,000 miles and is an 07. I told him to fix anything that looks even remotely out of place if he wants to sell me that car.
But I couldn't be put off of these cars. They're too [email protected] :biggrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a similar issue with my Cherokee srt8. Using the auto stick I got stuck in 3rd and had to pull over, turn the car off then on again to fix it. Two times when I was in 3rd and shifted all the way up to drive, the engine light came on. It happened to me a couple of times so I took it in for service and it turns out it was a leaking transmission line and I was 2 quarts low on tranny fluid...its all good now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I definatly woudlnt buy that exact car! if thats what happened on the test drive imagine whats gonna happen when u drive it daily! haha

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
LOL Yeah I'd go look at another car.

Admittedly, I recently floored it at the end of a 4 leaf clover and had that experience where the car roared up to the top of 1st, then paused for a few seconds, and dropped it into 2nd! Weird.

I figured it was just a random glitch, might need to have that looked into.

Over 26k miles I've had no issues though :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you shop around you can get a brand new 2007 loaded with everything and since it is an left over 07 you should be able to get around $8500-9000 off msrp plus options. EX: 42k = $33500k

·
Banned
48 Posts
Please find a different car, DO NOT buy a car if it is having problems on a test drive. Sounds like limp mode to me. What I would do if you are really stuck on that car make the dealer lower the price a hella lot.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if it's a slang term or stands for something else... but what's limp mode??

I talked to the guy I'm working with late yesterday and he said he'd knock the price of the car from $28500 to $24000 flat. That car is loaded up with everything and for the price I don't know if I can walk away from it. I understand the car is having issues on the test drive, but if it's fixed then that should be the end of it. If not there's plenty of time on the warranty and the lemon law in the event that it persists... Right?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And I'm not sure if I clarified this or not, but the dealership is going to fix everything prior to the purchase. So I wouldn't be buying the car with the problem and then giving it back to the dealer to fix, they took it back into the shop yesterday. (and yes, it's a chrysler dealer)

·
Registered
859 Posts
And I'm not sure if I clarified this or not, but the dealership is going to fix everything prior to the purchase. So I wouldn't be buying the car with the problem and then giving it back to the dealer to fix, they
Why do you want a car that has had this kind of problem?

If the car has this type of trans issue, then it was probably obused by the
former owner, who obviously turned it in because of problems, and did not
want to deal with a lemon car anylonger.

There are THOUSANDS of used 300C's out there, if you purchase this one,
with known problems, you are asking for trouble down the road with other
issues.

Ask the dealer to show you a CarFax report, and see if this car was a leased
car initially. I bet it was.

Leased cars are usually hammered on alot more than cars that are owned
outright by people. If you own it, you are more likely to do all the required
up keep to it.

If you buy this car, you will be back here, in the not to distant future, asking
our opinions about what to do about the next problem that has come up.

And even then, if you are in the process of buying this lemon, why even
ask our opinion if you are not going to take it? Every one is telling you to
stay away from this car for a REASON.

I talked to the guy I'm working with late yesterday and he said he'd knock the price of the car from $28500 to $24000 flat.
Why do think he is doing this? To be nice to you? He wants to sell this
car, and get if off his lot because its got problems, and he sees you as
that sucker, er, buyer. If the car was "fixed" to as new condition, they
would never take over 4 grand off the price.

Take the advise, and let the next sucker buy that car...

Jim

·
Registered
630 Posts
Any car can have a problem. I think if I was really interested in the car, I would see what the problem was, talk to the mechanic who repairs it. It might be just a low transmission problem as a result of the famous oring leak. Then test drive it extensively, take it home for the night or weekend and make sure all is right. You can probably even get them to offer you an extended warranty on the transmission to ease your fears.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK. You guys have talked me out of it. Thanks for being so honest in your opinions. I'll keep looking around.

William

·
Registered
859 Posts
Then test drive it extensively, take it home for the night or weekend and make sure all is right.
Driving it for a day or two is NOT a way to see if the car will have a problem
weeks or months down the road.

Unless the transmission has been replaced, you will never know if it has been
compromised in any manner, such as having water damage or other damage
that can be covered up temporarily by changing the fluid. But down the road,
you WILL have problems with that transmission.

You can probably even get them to offer you an extended warranty on the transmission to ease your fears.
As he has stated that the car is a 2007 model, it should have the lifetime
powertrain warranty already on it.

But even so, why get a car that already has a problem? Do you want to
spend the next several years bringing a car back to the dealer time and time
again for issues that you already knew exsisted?

Why would anyone want to do that when there are thousands of better
cars out there without this type of problem that are available.

Its the $4500 price drop that is the give away here. NO dealer will ever
discount a GOOD car that much. Its a HUGE red flag in this situation.

Well, that and the fact that the transmission is already shot...

Jim

·
Registered
336 Posts
LSCto300C, There are a lot of 300's sitting around at the dealers. I've seen manager's demos loaded selling for huge savings, or leftovers brand new or low mileage program cars. Keep looking and be patient, I am certain that you will find a 300 that will excite you. By the way, I used to have a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. It was an awesome car and I loved it. I kept it in perfect condition and people always commented on it. We traded it for my wife's Honda, she needed it and I guess it was the right time but I love those cars, are you keeping yours? I still see a few on the road. Good luck with the 300.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts