Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Finally got around to replacing the front brakes......new "Ultra-Premium" pads and rotors.

They've been properly bedded and stop great.....and no more shudder...... :arms:

Problem now though is the pedal feels soft......requiring me to push hard near the end when stopping.

Pedal just keeps going right down to the floor.

I did not "open" the hydraulic system to any air at all or crack any lines.

Only the necessary step of slowly pressing in the pistons to allow for clearance for the new thicker pads.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

After doing some more reading elsewhere......I'm thinking I may have boiled the fluid during the bedding process.

Looks like I'll be doing a complete flush and bleed......not that it's a bad thing anyways.

Any thoughts are still welcome.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Air in the system makes them feel soft and spongy.

Replace the fluid if you must, but my bet is on an air bubble or two. it doesn't take much!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I agree.....it's got that "air" feel.....but the only way it could have "entered" was to boil the fluid.

Hence the required change-out to some fresh juice.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts

I agree.....it's got that "air" feel.....but the only way it could have "entered" was to boil the fluid.

Hence the required change-out to some fresh juice.
Auto manufacturers typically specify a 24 month change interval for brake fluid. By then, it's fully saturated with moisture and the boiling point has dropped dramatically. Thus, you should use your pad change as an opportunity to address this often-overlooked service.

See: How to Bleed Brakes for some tips on getting the best possible bleed, resulting in a firmer pedal and better initial bite.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Finally got around to replacing the front brakes......new "Ultra-Premium" pads and rotors.

They've been properly bedded and stop great.....and no more shudder...... :arms:

Problem now though is the pedal feels soft......requiring me to push hard near the end when stopping.

Pedal just keeps going right down to the floor.

I did not "open" the hydraulic system to any air at all or crack any lines.

Only the necessary step of slowly pressing in the pistons to allow for clearance for the new thicker pads.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts