Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an attempt to resolve this what is your latest software issue. Is it 3.61 or 5.02. I did some investigating. Yes if you press the compass and music note on your steering wheel for tens seconds and than scroll up and down you can see your software load. Mine says "CCN Latest SW Info, 2/25/04 v 3.54, pn 04839559AI." Now this is fine but I have had three SW upgrades since 2/25/04. Bought my car in 5/04. Had 4.6 put on last summer, 5.01 done in 9/04, and 5.02 done at the end of December 2004.

So I talked to my Chrysler machanic budy. He told me my upgrades are for the Power Control Module (PCM) and the only way you can check your SW version there is with Starscan at the dealer. What comes up on the screen on your car is probably the Body Control Module that was installed when your car was new. I did not have time to ask more questions. IE Does different SW versions control different things in your car?

I can tell you my problems have been idle / lurching / transmission / engine issues. And they updated my PCM SW and the only way to do that is with Starscan at the dealer. My car is performing much better. I will see if I can find out more info.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Inetresting...and thanks for asking questions.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
rdmac said:
In an attempt to resolve this what is your latest software issue. Is it 3.61 or 5.02. I did some investigating. Yes if you press the compass and music note on your steering wheel for tens seconds and than scroll up and down you can see your software load. Mine says "CCN Latest SW Info, 2/25/04 v 3.54, pn 04839559AI." Now this is fine but I have had three SW upgrades since 2/25/04. Bought my car in 5/04. Had 4.6 put on last summer, 5.01 done in 9/04, and 5.02 done at the end of December 2004.

So I talked to my Chrysler machanic budy. He told me my upgrades are for the Power Control Module (PCM) and the only way you can check your SW version there is with Starscan at the dealer. What comes up on the screen on your car is probably the Body Control Module that was installed when your car was new. I did not have time to ask more questions. IE Does different SW versions control different things in your car?

I can tell you my problems have been idle / lurching / transmission / engine issues. And they updated my PCM SW and the only way to do that is with Starscan at the dealer. My car is performing much better. I will see if I can find out more info.

Bob
Each time I have had mine updated (twice) it has changed the CCN info available when depressing the buttons. I would bet yours has not been updated if it does not say 3.61

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wait a minute, let's not censor this, let's get to the bottom of it.

I took delivery 12/30, I have 3.61.

I'd really like to know what happens when they upgrade the software, Aspendog says his changes, you say it doesn't.

Le's figure out which is correct, knowledge is power, especially when dealing with a car dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Yes, we definitely need to figure this out once and for all.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Guys, there are multiple contol modules in the vehicle. I believe what RDMAC is saying about using the Starscan is right. The version you are seeing from the CCN is probably just the software version for the CCN itself - not the PCM, BCM or other modules. There is not a singular processor for the vehicle with a single code base - each module runs independantly (with its own code) and communicates to each other over the CAN (controller area network).

When at the dealer for any service, you should ask them to give you a list of the current versions for all modules. Posting and comparing each modules version number and date of last update will help all of us in determining if we have the latest software.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
rdmac said:
No that is not correct. Please do not say things like that to people.

Bob
HUH? Were you adressing me? If so you are WRONG. My CCN version changed each time I got a flash (ie. from 2.85 to 3.54 to 3.61). I have had my C since May of '04, there is no way I had 3.61 (can you belive that).

I guess it is possible that I am the only person who this happened to but that seem highly illogical. I think that you will find that there are some here that do not talk BS, I am one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks

JonW is basically correct from what I have gathered. And that is what I was saying. Just talked to a second service tech who has been to all the training on these cars and works on these cars. Each tech I talked to was from a different dealer, performed PCM SW upgrades on my car, and one of them is a freind of mine. The car has many Control modules and SW. The Power Control Module (PCM) SW is the area I have been having trouble with. I have been upgraded to 4.6, 5.01, and 5.02. By the way they have helped. You can not see the PCM except from the Starscan. The menu on your screen in the car that shows the 3.61 or whatever does not show the PCM apparently (hey maybe its in there some where). You typically only get the SW upgrades to what your specific problem is. I have no doubt that some one may have upgraded to a 3.61 of something. Its just not apples to apples to what I was saying and does not mean that SW for your problem has not been addressed and upgraded as was mine in my PCM. So folks be cool and I did not intend to rile feathers. Apology offerred. We all learned something here and still have a lot to learn.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
No feathers ruffled here...just wish we had a list of these 'modules', what the heck each did, and what version they were on.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
rdmac said:
Folks

JonW is basically correct from what I have gathered. And that is what I was saying. Just talked to a second service tech who has been to all the training on these cars and works on these cars. Each tech I talked to was from a different dealer, performed PCM SW upgrades on my car, and one of them is a freind of mine. The car has many Control modules and SW. The Power Control Module (PCM) SW is the area I have been having trouble with. I have been upgraded to 4.6, 5.01, and 5.02. By the way they have helped. You can not see the PCM except from the Starscan. The menu on your screen in the car that shows the 3.61 or whatever does not show the PCM apparently (hey maybe its in there some where). You typically only get the SW upgrades to what your specific problem is. I have no doubt that some one may have upgraded to a 3.61 of something. Its just not apples to apples to what I was saying and does not mean that SW for your problem has not been addressed and upgraded as was mine in my PCM. So folks be cool and I did not intend to rile feathers. Apology offerred. We all learned something here and still have a lot to learn.

Bob
No Problems here just wanted to clear that up.

What you need to do is have the tech plug in the starscan and look for updates to each and every module. I watched the tech last time and the tool searched for any updates and upon the request from the tech it would flash the memory. Pretty cool the way it worked, it would turn on the windshield wipers as soon as the flash was complete and do a few other weird things to alert the tech that the flash was complete. There was even a update for the stereo amplifier on the SGII (who would have thought that was controlled by a computer)... The scary thing is that when I asked the tech how long it took to be trained with the starscan he stated that there was not an official training done it is sort of like trial and error.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
jjs said:
...just wish we had a list of these 'modules', what the heck each did, and what version they were on.
Here's a start to documenting all the modules. At present, I have not researched each one enough to know which ones have flashable memory to be upgraded. My guess is that just about every single one has the ability to be upgraded. I'll come back and edit this list to add additional information as I gather it.

As time goes on and we are able to come up with a list of software versions and release dates for each module, you can be assured that you will see many different combinations of the versions on different cars. As some have pointed out, the dealer will only update a module if you are having a problem with something and that problem has been documented and fixed for a given module. So, you may get a single module updated for a problem you report. Or, you may get a whole list of modules updated for a single problem you report if they have dependencies on other modules being updated. For instance: Let's say they need to update your TCM. It's possible that a new fix for the TCM also requires updates to the PCM, ESM and ABS.

Here's a quick explanations of all the modules listed on the attached graphic:

ABS = Antilock Brake Module
AMP = Amplifier Radio (highline)
CCN = Cluster Control Node
DDM = Driver Door Module
EOM = Electronic Overhead Module
ESM = Electronic Shift Module (Shift lever assembly - NAG1)
FCM = Front Control Module
HFM = Hands Free Module
HIDT = High Intensity Discharge
HLM = Headlight Leveling Module
HSM = Heated Seat Module
HVAC/ATC = Automatic Temperature Control (HVAC)
IPM = Integrated Power Module
LRSM = Rain Sensor Module
MSMD = Memory Seat Module
OCM = Occupant Classification Module
ORC = Occupant Restraint Controller
PCM = Powertrain Control Module
PDM = Passenger Door Module
PTS = Park Assist Module (Parktronics)
RADIO = Various Radio's
SDAR = Satellite Receiver
SCM = Steering control Module
SUNR = Sunroof Module
TCM-NAG1 = Transmission Control Module (NAG1 transmission)
TCM-NGC = Transmission Control Module (NAG1 transmission)
WCM/SKREEM = Vehicle Security Control Module / Sentry Key Remote Entry Module

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my 300 in only once for software upgrade. I brought it in to get the sluggish outside temperature gauge fixed, nothing else. This was in late November for a vehicle built in March. The CCN version after the upgrade was V3.61 so I assume that was the most recent available at that time (didn't check to see what was installed before the flash). However, the dealer said he had to do five flashes. So I assume some of the other modules were updated as well. Sorry, but I don't know what those five falshes were, however. I think JonW is on the right track with this.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
JonW said:
This is what software version we are able to see when the buttons are depressed, no other module seems to appear. This is what I was trying to explain earlier, if you have 3.54 showing you do not have the updated CCN module.

Now with that being said I have no idea what the Cluster Control Node does. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
aspendog said:
Now with that being said I have no idea what the Cluster Control Node does. Anyone?
Simple - it does cluster control.;) To confuse things even more, the service manual also refers to this as the Cabin Compartment Node (which probably makes more sense).

The CCN gets information from vehicle sensors and switches and translates it to display the proper speed, oil pressure, tach, idiot lights, etc. or to control turn signals, headlights, heated seats or other devices. It basically controls all the indicators or devices that you, as the driver, interface with while in the vehicle.

Node just refers to this being a device, endpoint, module, etc. sitting on the CAN network. Given how many devices the CCN interfaces with, it will likely be the module that receives the most software updates. Thus the reason we have people reporting the different versions that they've received.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i had my C which was built may 5, flashed and under hood there is a sticker added that say "following modification made...flash dcm...084896405al". my readout says v3.54. i dont remember what it was reading before the reflash.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
JonW said:
Here's a start to documenting all the modules. At present, I have not researched each one enough to know which ones have flashable memory to be upgraded. My guess is that just about every single one has the ability to be upgraded. I'll come back and edit this list to add additional information as I gather it.

As time goes on and we are able to come up with a list of software versions and release dates for each module, you can be assured that you will see many different combinations of the versions on different cars. As some have pointed out, the dealer will only update a module if you are having a problem with something and that problem has been documented and fixed for a given module. So, you may get a single module updated for a problem you report. Or, you may get a whole list of modules updated for a single problem you report if they have dependencies on other modules being updated. For instance: Let's say they need to update your TCM. It's possible that a new fix for the TCM also requires updates to the PCM, ESM and ABS.

Here's a quick explanations of all the modules listed on the attached graphic:

ABS = Antilock Brake Module
AMP = Amplifier Radio (highline)
DDM = Driver Door Module
EOM = Electronic Overhead Module
ESM = Electronic Shift Module (Shift lever assembly - NAG1)
FCM = Front Control Module
HFM = Hands Free Module
HIDT = High Intensity Discharge
HLM = Headlight Leveling Module
HSM = Heated Seat Module
HVAC/ATC = Automatic Temperature Control (HVAC)
IPM = Integrated Power Module
LRSM = Rain Sensor Module
MSMD = Memory Seat Module
OCM = Occupant Classification Module
ORC = Occupant Restraint Controller
PCM = Powertrain Control Module
PDM = Passenger Door Module
PTS = Park Assist Module (Parktronics)
RADIO = Various Radio's
SDAR = Satellite Receiver
SCM = Steering control Module
SUNR = Sunroof Module
TCM-NAG1 = Transmission Control Module (NAG1 transmission)
TCM-NGC = Transmission Control Module (NAG1 transmission)
WCM/SKREEM = Vehicle Security Control Module / Sentry Key Remote Entry Module
Holy Crap!!!! Even more reason to get an extended warranty on this car!! Can't imagine what the cost of replacing some of these could be!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Software issue????

Took mine in last year for the wiper coming on when turning..I don't even have to use the turn signal, it just comes on two or three times every now and then after a sharp turn while the auto-wipers are on. The tech said something on the stem needed to be replaced. Is this a software or stem issue????? I asked them late last year if they could update my software(currently 3.54v) and they were either ignorant of any updates or just too lazy to take the time to do it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I believe the wiper malfunction is one of the issues resolved in version 3.61. The way most people have gotten the upgrade completed is to tell the service department that the outside temperature reading gets stuck and does not update in a timely manner. That for sure is resolved in 3.61 as I was experiencing the issue with 3.54. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts