Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm back :banana: haha :silly: :wave:

Drive to California, install Magnaflow cat back exhaust, drive home to Texas....Gas = 350.00, hotel = 80.00(i'm cheap), miles = 3000, sound of Magnaflow on SRT-8 = PRICELESS. Oh yeah, do this in 3 days :yawn: :yawn:

Okay, so I am still a little tired, but the dyno numbers are in my sig and they made the drive home a little more exciting and the gas milage was a hair less than going out(but, I had to gain elevation, deal with rush hour in San Diego, a massive Monsoon in Tucson, rush hour in El Paso, and 6 -- 1 lane construction zones on I-20 on just the drive home). That helped drop the milage a little, plus the fact the Magnaflow sounds like and OLD SCHOOL big block at WOT and I needed to hear it a few times hear and there ;)

The car cruises extremely comfortably at 70 to 75mph. At 80mph, you can hear the exhaust much like the stock exhaust at 100 to 110 mph. By 100mph, the Magnaflow appears to be into full flow, meaning the pressure is allowing the system to flow straight through, and the sound in incredible but actually very quite inside...Trust me, it is awesome on the outside(I heard it 3 times on the dyno at WOT and it is INCREDIBLE!!).

Magnaflow pulled absolutely no tricks in doing the testing. My stock car was sound tested and then dyno tested. The manifold was warm, but not hot, the coolant was up to temp along with oil, and only short cool-downs between runs where allowed. They made three dyno pulls stock, all with the hood down and holding the auto-stick in 4th gear(see the performance mods forum for details and dyno chart).

They yanked the stock system off the car and installed a SRT-8 system on the car. It has full 3" piping and all inlets to mufflers remain 3". The stock system actually has 3" pipe, but necks down to 2.5" when going into/out of the mufflers. There is still a short section of 2.75" pipe in the system from the stock catalytic converters to the start of the cat back. Looking under the car, the area is the two pipes that bend around the tranny pan that are left 2.75".

Dyno tests where repeated just as the stock pulls where done, sound testing was also done and I took it for a ride with Richard(Magnaflow engineer) in the car to check it at cruise speeds. Awesome!!!

I know there will be other systems out there for these cars, but I have to say I am very pleased with the Magnaflow system. It gives this car a 'presence' that just cannot be equalled. The 6.1L can move so much air, the system gets an incredible deep, aggressive growl at any WOT application! The sound alone makes it worth getting this system, but it is worth remembering there is a very nice HP and torque gain across the ENTIRE band(see thread in per mod section for details and graph).

All in all, guys/gals, this is a nice system and DCX has definately left a little on the table for those of us who want too, to go and extract. I am very pleased with the system and the 1450 mile drive home after the install was just as impressive as the drive out. No exhaust droan, no issues with the sound versus the stereo, huge grin everytime you drop the hammer a bit, and the satisfaction you are driving perhaps the best sedan America has to offer right now, period!!

If I can get some connections with Holley to produce a composite intake manifold for this baby, it would be perfect!!! hint, hint, hint, anyone with connections??? That manifold robs some power when hot!!!

If you like the sound of Magnaflow systems, you will be pleased and find the wait for production system worth it.

Here are the sound level numbers:

Test Stock Magnaflow
Curb idle 72dB 74dB
1500rpm 74 76
3000rpm 77 76

Interior noise: (sorry guys, I can't get the table to line up)
Test stock Magnaflow
30-40 accel 68 76
Cruise at 40 to 50mph 66 68
50 to 70 accel 70 72
Cruise at 60 to 70 mph 68 71

Todd
Recently beaten by a supercharged 300C SRT-8 :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
White Diamond...

you stud!
that is all I can say...

wish I would have known you were coming through here...
deal with rush hour in San Diego
I would have been waiting for you on an on-ramp to make you feel better after tangling with jtekron's "Gorilla"...
so how fast is it???
heard from fatchance it is sic...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Great to hear your happy with it. All I have to say is:

I WANT ONE NOW!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!!

You hear that Magnaflow, put this project on the production line and you'll get many takers from the Forum.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnny Vig said:
You talked about the sound and the overall quality and horsepower gains of the system, but how does the car feel now that this system is on it. Does it feel a lot faster? Does it have more seat of the pants feel, etc........details details....please.
This is a hard one to answer. The sound is incredible and I am really taken back by it, as I was a huge muscle car fan(still am, really) and I can't believe how this sounds like the big blocks of old. So, couple that bit of information with the knowledge that the SRT-8 is no slow machine in the first place, and you have this 35 year old grinning from ear to ear as the throttle position is as open as it can be, and I tell you it is fast. I can't honestly say it feels much faster, but it was 80 plus degrees the whole way home and I got several nice WOT runs on I-5 early Monday morning(before the exhaust) in that super cool, 60 degrees, air and the car felt like an ANIMAL!! When winter arrives around here, I can tell you that bail may be revoked in my case :evil: :evil: The car has the sound that matchs its power, it feels quick, how much quicker???? My butt dyno isn't very good in this realm.....

Todd

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fatchance said:
First, it was great to meet you Todd. I will say that you and jk know your game and are true car guys. Your post is funny and the best line is after your name. It doesn't get much better than this.

Todd
"Recently beaten by a supercharged 300C SRT-8"
John, It was great meeting you!!! Thank you for mentioning this in the other thread and actually coming out to see me. I know your drive down, so I am very happy you took time out of your day to come down and visit. Your 300C looks incredible!! The wheels with the nicely executed drop give it absolutely the right look. The interior treatment was very pleasing, as well.

It is hard to seperate the car attitude from me on most occasions, but I am very happy to meet people and talk. I hope we didn't bore you too much with the car talk. :)

Take care and our door is open should you happen to be out this way!!!

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts