Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car only has 560 miles on it, I got it last Friday.

I was driving with my brother to go pick up his new IS 350, and the check engine light comes on right as we were getting off the freeway. I push the gas and the car has like 20% normal power...then the motor started to misfire like crazy, shaking the car violently...At this point we were already at the Lexus dealership, so I parked it and called DCX roadside assisstance.
Sooooooo, the car can barely idle, sounds like shit (it sounded really terrible when I had to move it to get in position for the tow truck), and keeps misfiring.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? The car hasn't been abused, and i purchased it brand new.

This part really sucks...they'll only tow me 10 miles, so the car is at Dependable Dodge in Canoga Park, but I live in Orange...that's about 65 miles away. Oh, and they won't even be able to look at my car until Monday, so not only did they take me to a dealership that was far away, they took me to one that's service department was full.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would have paid to have it towed to the dealership of my choice. That said, 10 miles is a joke. There are places in America where there aren't any DCX dealerships for over a hundred miles...what if you break down there? Remind me not to rely on roadside assistance from DCX...

That said, the low power, and barely idling sounds like fuel. The misfiring sounds like timing/ignition. Put them together? There's a damned computer to blame somewhere!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marnepup said:
I would have paid to have it towed to the dealership of my choice. That said, 10 miles is a joke. There are places in America where there aren't any DCX dealerships for over a hundred miles...what if you break down there? Remind me not to rely on roadside assistance from DCX...

That said, the low power, and barely idling sounds like fuel. The misfiring sounds like timing/ignition. Put them together? There's a damned computer to blame somewhere!
Being a Mercedes product, I was thinking it was computer related. I'm gonna call the dealership where I bought the car in the morning and remind the salesman that I still have to fill out his satisfaction survey. Maybe that'll light the fire under his ass, and he'll try to get his dealership to pick up the bill to get it towed there.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Now, that's blackmail. It's not at all as if you can blame the dealer for what happened to your car!

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marnepup said:
Now, that's blackmail. It's not at all as if you can blame the dealer for what happened to your car!
They sold me the damned thing less than a week ago. I'm sure as hell gonna blame them! :AR15firin

·
Registered
593 Posts
How many miles on it when you bought it? If and only if it was extensively used for test drives, then maybe the dealer has some fault....

·
Registered
170 Posts
http://www.epa.gov/obd/questions.htm

"What does it mean if the light is blinking? If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment)."

In other words, you'll know Monday. You might have a bad coil-on-ignition module, a plugged injector or bad spark plug wire. It also sounds like you went into "limp" mode. That happens when you over-rev the engine. Were you trying to impress your buddy before he picked up his Luxury EXport US (yes, that is what Lexus means)? Hitting neutral by mistake can do this...

Remove fuse #11 if this happens again. It may clear your PCM, you don't have to wait for a tow and you will be able to take it to your dealer.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorbs said:
http://www.epa.gov/obd/questions.htm

"What does it mean if the light is blinking? If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment)."

In other words, you'll know Monday. You might have a bad coil-on-ignition module, a plugged injector or bad spark plug wire. It also sounds like you went into "limp" mode. That happens when you over-rev the engine. Were you trying to impress your buddy before he picked up his Luxury EXport US (yes, that is what Lexus means)? Hitting neutral by mistake can do this...

Remove fuse #11 if this happens again. It may clear your PCM, you don't have to wait for a tow and you will be able to take it to your dealer.
No show-boating at all...I was drving with my brother, and he already knows what the car can do, he's driven it...plus, we were driving in traffic on and off, so there wouldn't have been a chance, even if I wanted to.

Interesting info on the Lexus name...I'll pass that on to my brother.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
marnepup said:
How many miles on it when you bought it? If and only if it was extensively used for test drives, then maybe the dealer has some fault....
The car had 34 miles on it, so it would appear that it was test driven a bit. Even though I said I'm blaming them, i know they're not to blame...I just think it's ridiculus that they wouldn't take it there, and I want chrysler to pay for it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It also sounds like you went into "limp" mode.
Cars do that, too? Wow...tanks do, (we call it "protective mode) and won't go over 10mph till you reset a switch...conveniently located underneath the 1500HP turbine engine...means you have to lift the damned thing out with a crane...and you can bet it gets a thorough going-over in the process...whoever put the switch there deserves to be a millionaire! I'm sure if the switch were easy to access, a lot of soldiers would just reset it and forget it...not a smart thing with a $250,000 engine!

The car had 34 miles on it
I hope you can document that...in case DCX claims the car was abused (usually step one in warranty repair negotiations :rolleyes: ). You want to be able to show that it was potentially abused while in the hands of the dealer to be able to head off that warranty-voiding tactic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jonbbas said:
The car had 34 miles on it, so it would appear that it was test driven a bit. Even though I said I'm blaming them, i know they're not to blame...I just think it's ridiculus that they wouldn't take it there, and I want chrysler to pay for it.
Unfortunately, it says in the basic warranty guide they tow it to the nearest dealer. What you should do is call your dealer and ask for a rental over the weekend. Since you bought a week ago I'm sure they will get you something for the weekend and the hassle. Did the Dodge boys offer a rental since you are 65 miles from home? I mean, if you were stranded without a ride they'd hook you up. I've received many loaner cars from my Dodge and Chrysler dealers in the past when it was a warranty problem needing parts they didn't have.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorbs said:
Unfortunately, it says in the basic warranty guide they tow it to the nearest dealer. What you should do is call your dealer and ask for a rental over the weekend. Since you bought a week ago I'm sure they will get you something for the weekend and the hassle. Did the Dodge boys offer a rental since you are 65 miles from home? I mean, if you were stranded without a ride they'd hook you up. I've received many loaner cars from my Dodge and Chrysler dealers in the past when it was a warranty problem needing parts they didn't have.
I asked the dodge dealership for a rental, and they said no...my chrysler dealership said "you should have bought the extended warranty, that has rental car coverage" grrrrrr...

It's not that far away, and if the drive had no traffic, I really wouldn't care, but I have to drive from orange county to the san fernando valley. That takes over an hour with the conditions of the freeeways in LA, and if there's traffic (9 times out of 10 there is), it can take over 3 hours.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jonbbas said:
I asked the dodge dealership for a rental, and they said no...my chrysler dealership said "you should have bought the extended warranty, that has rental car coverage" grrrrrr...

It's not that far away, and if the drive had no traffic, I really wouldn't care, but I have to drive from orange county to the san fernando valley. That takes over an hour with the conditions of the freeeways in LA, and if there's traffic (9 times out of 10 there is), it can take over 3 hours.
Then call your guy and tell him you're going to flame him on the survey. That is :bsflag:

You should also list the dealership on the forum you bought it from if they don't at least try and make you happy. This isn't a rattle or an auto return window not coming back up. You couldn't drive it and you actually did them a favor by parking it. Give'em hell.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorbs said:
Then call your guy and tell him you're going to flame him on the survey. That is :bsflag:

You should also list the dealership on the forum you bought it from if they don't at least try and make you happy. This isn't a rattle or an auto return window not coming back up. You couldn't drive it and you actually did them a favor by parking it. Give'em hell.
Good advice...I think i'll ask him for a rental again tomorrow, when I mention his survey.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Not to thread jack, but this is the exact reason why I am considering going for an IS-350 if my lemon law doesn't work out well (ie - Chrysler doesn't want to support their product or make it an unbelievable pain to do so). My local Lexus dealership issues a "like model" rental for as long as you own the car (not just under warranty). Heck, they even pick you up and/or drop off the rental to your home or office. I LOVE my 300 when it isn't in the shop but wonder if it's worth it. I know my C would have been more $$$ if Chrysler offered this, but isn't it worth it??!?! Sorry for venting, but it's been a frustrating ownership experience for what was to be the best car I've ever owned.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
MrHappy said:
Not to thread jack, but this is the exact reason why I am considering going for an IS-350 if my lemon law doesn't work out well (ie - Chrysler doesn't want to support their product or make it an unbelievable pain to do so). My local Lexus dealership issues a "like model" rental for as long as you own the car (not just under warranty). Heck, they even pick you up and/or drop off the rental to your home or office. I LOVE my 300 when it isn't in the shop but wonder if it's worth it. I know my C would have been more $$$ if Chrysler offered this, but isn't it worth it??!?! Sorry for venting, but it's been a frustrating ownership experience for what was to be the best car I've ever owned.
Yeah, Lexus is a GREAT ownership experience...I had an IS 300 a couple years ago, and every time it was in for service, I got a free loaner. Also, lexus would fix ANYTHING! It was my first manual tranny car (I was really bad to it), and lexus replaced the tranny once, and the clutch 2 times, no questions asked.

I hope my chrysler experience doesn't end up like my mitsubishi dealership/service experience...2 words, UNQUESTIONABLY TERRIBLE...

The IS 350 is awesome, seriously awesome...touch screen nav with bluetooth...if you select a restaurant on the nav, you press a button, and your bluetooth phone will call it...No more 411!!! Back-up camera, keyless access/recognition, top-notch leather quality (the car smells like a leather shoe), and not to mention it's fast as hell!!...

I love to own the 350 just as much as the SRT8, but i couldn't chose one...It would be like someone saying "who is your favorite child" (just used it as an example, i don't have children).

·
Registered
507 Posts
sorbs said:
http://www.epa.gov/obd/questions.htmWere you trying to impress your buddy before he picked up his Luxury EXport US (yes, that is what Lexus means)? Hitting neutral by mistake can do this...
Are you serious? How can this be done on any car with a rev-limiter?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jonbbas said:
Yeah, Lexus is a GREAT ownership experience...I had an IS 300 a couple years ago, and every time it was in for service, I got a free loaner. Also, lexus would fix ANYTHING! It was my first manual tranny car (I was really bad to it), and lexus replaced the tranny once, and the clutch 2 times, no questions asked.

I hope my chrysler experience doesn't end up like my mitsubishi dealership/service experience...2 words, UNQUESTIONABLY TERRIBLE...

The IS 350 is awesome, seriously awesome...touch screen nav with bluetooth...if you select a restaurant on the nav, you press a button, and your bluetooth phone will call it...No more 411!!! Back-up camera, keyless access/recognition, top-notch leather quality (the car smells like a leather shoe), and not to mention it's fast as hell!!...

I love to own the 350 just as much as the SRT8, but i couldn't chose one...It would be like someone saying "who is your favorite child" (just used it as an example, i don't have children).
Was VERY close to getting the IS350, but at $45k, I had to get an SRT8 with more room and power. Got an extended warranty for 7 years/80k so should be good for awhile.

But I loved the IS' interior a whole lot more, and the quality I'm sure is unparalleled, but damnit, the SRT8 is too big a bargain performance-wise to pass up. Plus I think it looks more bad ass.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE:

They had a chance to look at the car today, and it turns out that I had a broken rocker arm. They said it was probably due to faulty casting (I hope this isn't indicative of what's to come). The part should be in by Monday, so we'll see what happens.

How bad is it that a rocker arm broke. Could it have caused severe valvetrain damage, or damage to other parts of the engine? If they replace the rocker arm, will it be ok?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Jonbbas said:
UPDATE:

They had a chance to look at the car today, and it turns out that I had a broken rocker arm. They said it was probably due to faulty casting (I hope this isn't indicative of what's to come). The part should be in by Monday, so we'll see what happens.

How bad is it that a rocker arm broke. Could it have caused severe valvetrain damage, or damage to other parts of the engine? If they replace the rocker arm, will it be ok?
I'd make sure they check the valves, I could imagine that you could get a collision between valve and piston if the timing is wrong because of the broken rocker arm. Not too likely but worth checking. I expect they would do so without your having to ask.

On the other end of the rocker arm is the pushrod and I'm sure they will check that too, although I doubt even more that the pushrod would be damaged.

They should make sure that indeed the casting was faulty. The alternate explanation for a broken rocker arm would be something like the pushrod tried to open the valve but the valve couldn't open because of ... hm, well maybe the timing was off and the piston was in the way, or something else I can't think of at the moment. If it's like this, it's more serious. So make sure they rule out this sort of cause of the breakage.

By the way I am not a mechanic, so these are just the thoughts of a layman.
It's good that this happened under warranty.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts