Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Dynamated or Fatmated the roof?

I used Fatmat Rattle Trap Extreem for the trunk, rear deck, and all four doors. Massive, enormous, unbelievable difference in sound quality, volume, base response, huge. However, still have vibration and rattle in the roof. Also I know I lose significant sound out the roof. I've look trough many posts on this forum and I've read that some of done the roof but I can't find any photo's or how to advice. Someone also wrote don't remove roof liner unless replacing, so I want to do this but am a little nervous.

Can anyone help?

I've read that you can't get the liner out unless you remove the windshield. So I think all I want to do is drop it down enough to line it with Fatmat.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
You've read good advice. You do not remove the headliner unless you are going to replace it, as it will crease. The only way to put it in without creasing it is through the front or rear windshield. Even dropping it, I don't think you'll have enough clearance to get the deadening material up there. At the same time, you do have an 05, so there might be some chips or whatnot on the front windshield that justify replacing it anyways.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bronek, I do indeed need a new windshield. I've got 135K highway miles on it & while the high miles have been easy on the drive train they have been hell on the windshield & front bumper. My insurance has full glass coverage (no deductible), but the darn thing won't crack. Oh it's got chips but short of a bullet I don't think it will crack.

I was thinking about taking the front seats out to drop the liner. What do you think of that leaving the liner in the car?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Even with the seats out, I don't think you'll be able to reach towards the middle to secure it to the ceiling of the interior. I'd suggest taking hammer and lightly tapping near a chip until you get a crack, then go full out and do it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good input, although I'm 6'8" and have quite a reach. That said, you've given me pause.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just thought I'd report back on what I ended up doing. I found the following on the web removal of the head liner. This post suggests not removing head liner unless replacing it. However it states repeated removal can cause fatigue. I planned on dropping the liner and sound proofing only once. That said, use your best judgment.

With the help of a friend who installs high-end audio for a living we successfully dropped the head liner and completely covered the inside of the roof with FatMat Rattle Trap Extreme and in key areas used 3M strip caulk and reassembled in 5 hours.

We removed the headrests and just dropped the liner and had plenty of room to apply the soundproofing. While it has been stated by many that the only way to remove the head liner without creasing it is through the windshield or back window, my install friend is willing to put money on being able to easily remove it through the doors if the front seats are removed. This guy is good and while I would attempt I bet on him.

One of the largest rattle culprits is the metal frame that surrounds the dome light/sunglass holder. I have attached photo of said frame. Another area of rattles is the sunroof frame, which was silenced with FatMat on the underside. I rapped the sunroof motor with FatMat, and outlined the sunroof and the plastic frame that supports sunroof motor with 3M Strip Caulk.

After 5 hours the result was well worth it. I have over 2,000 watts of ultra clean power that is no longer rattling the roof liner and those things hidden by said. Further sound is no longer resonating off the roof metal or escaping through it. It is as if I added another amp. The reduction of road noise is also substantial.

Bottom line, it can be done without creasing the headliner.

Regarding FatMat, yes it has a tar smell (I had previously deadened the trunk and doors). However it last for only about a week.

Note:
Do not remove the headliner from the vehicle unless replacing with a new headliner. Repeated removals of the headliner can cause damage due to fatigue of the headliner material.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Remove the windshield.

Remove the trim from both upper A-pillars.

Disengage the headliner wire harnesses from the retainers on each inner A-pillar and disconnect the connectors (11) from the body wire harness connectors near the base of each A-pillar.

Remove the trim from both upper B-pillars.

Remove the lower trim from the inside of the B-pillar (2).
Unsnap and remove the trim cover (3) from the seat belt turning loop on the inside of the upper B-pillar.
Remove the screw (1) that secures the turning loop to the seat belt height adjuster on the upper B-pillar.
Lower the seat belt (4) and turning loop from the B-pillar.
Remove the screw (1) that secures the lower end of the upper trim (4) to the inside of the B-pillar (3).
Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the lower end of the upper B-pillar trim away from the inside of the B-pillar far enough to disengage the two spring clip retainers that secure the trim to the slots in the pillar.
Lift the lower end of the upper trim upward to disengage the locator tab (2) from the locator hole and remove the trim from the inside of the B-pillar.

Remove the trim from both upper C-pillars.

If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the overhead console from the center of the headliner (1) near the windshield header (3).

If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the electrochromic (automatic dimming) and/or the telematic (hands-free phone) mirror takeout(s) and connector(s) of the headliner wire harness from the connector receptacle(s) on the back (windshield side) of the inside rear view mirror housing.

Remove both sun visors and both visor receptacles from the headliner near the windshield header.

Remove both grab handle/coat hook/rear dome/reading lamp units from the headliner at the inner rear roof side rails (4).

Remove the trim welt from the headliner sunroof opening.

Recline both front seat backs.

Carefully pull the headliner downward at the windshield header far enough to disengage the spring clip retainers at each sun visor mounting location (2), at each visor receptacle location (9), and at the overhead console location (10).

Carefully pull the headliner downward at the inner rear roof side rails far enough to disengage the spring clip retainers at each grab handle location (5).

Carefully pull the headliner downward near the center of the rear roof header (7) far enough to disengage the rear spring clip retainer (8).

Reach between the headliner and the roof panel from the right rear door opening to access and disconnect the sunroof jumper wire connector from the headliner wire harness sunroof take out and connector (6).

Carefully remove the headliner through the windshield opening.

Read more: How do you remove the headliner in a 2006 300C with sunroof - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/1nt1d-remove-headliner-2006-300c-sunroof.html#ixzz1OAR9gllO

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts