Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Like many of you, I'm not comfortable having no spare tire. The area I live in is also rural enough that I could find myself stranded outside of cell phone range, as well. So, I decided to get the space saver spare setup from a 300c, as RobertV uses:

Here are the part numbers and tire info:
Rim: 4895 689AA $101
Bolt M8: 6508 110AA $??? IIRC runs from floor to cup below
Spare tire cup retention: 52059 160AC $???
Jack: 4895 015AA $57.50
Nut for jack: 6504 599 $??? I think this is for the cup too
Wrench, lug: 4782 999AB $26.75
Tire: GoodYear T145/80 D 18 Product # 818 02 22 53 Material Code # 191 206 $121.05
Any Goodyear dealer should be able to order the tire, the dealer did not want to get involved with the tire because it was not listed in his part catalog.
If you need it: Goodyear service 800-755-2772
I know the donut won't fit on the fronts, but having to swap a rear to the front is better than walking, I figure.

Now here's my stupid question: how does this stuff fit in the trunk? I've got it all in the well and the decklid fits flat, but I know I haven't installed the parts as was intended. My specific questions:

1. I know the lug wrench and jack are supposed to mate together, but I can't figure out how. I also have a black bolt with a washer that I suspect is used to secure this, but I can't see how.

2. Does the jack assembly go in first, with the tire over it -- or does the wheel go in face down and the jack into the center of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Some photos which should help.

The wrench fixes to the jack by mating the lugs to corresponding holes (one lug each on the jack and wrench, one corresponding hole each on the wrench and jack). You need to 'lower' the jack so that they mate, and then 'raise' the jack till they lock tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Big Ed,

Have you tried mounting the spare on your car? The reason I am asking is that other members were trying to figure out alternatives to the "no spare" dillema for the SRT8 and the main issue was caliper clearance.

I too am not crazy about driving around without a spare and if this works I would consider doing the same thing.

PJDSRT8

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Ed,

Have you tried mounting the spare on your car? The reason I am asking is that other members were trying to figure out alternatives to the "no spare" dillema for the SRT8 and the main issue was caliper clearance.

I too am not crazy about driving around without a spare and if this works I would consider doing the same thing.

PJDSRT8
I have not mounted it personally, but from what I understand, the space saver will only clear the rear caliper. If you get a flat in front, you'd have to mount the spare on the rear then use the rear tire on the front. Not ideal, but for me, much better than a tow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The plastic nut that holds the spare tire down was very tight on my 2006! My hand is strong and I could not get it off and its summer now!

I had to use a large channel lock plier to twist it off.

I checked out the jack and put the tire back with the nut not nearly so tight.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i was wondering that too ,are you sure itll even clear the rear brakes

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Yes it will, but a 3mm hub-centric spacer would give you greater piece of mind. BT makes these and they work very nicely. I have two, but even that would make the convience space fit the front brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts