1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Been beat to death previously.

Cliff Notes:

1.) Yes it's ok to use
2.) Won't negatively affect TPS
3.) 78% of the atmosphere is Nitrogen anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
note

Note that it will lighten your wallet!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I race circle track cars and we use Nitrogen to fill all the tires. It is more stable than compressed air because it has less or no water and other impurities in it. You can get a cylinder at any welding supply store for about $35.00 plus the cylinder rent. A large cylinder will fill your four tires and about 120 more.....

To make it even worth while you have to purge your tires to get all the ambient air out of them. If you don't there is no benefit because the little amount of air left over has water in it thus negating the positives nitrogen fill gives you.

We use a vaccuum pump to completly deflate the tires and refill with Nitrogen. This is expensive and hard to get....The easier way to do it is to let the ambient air out of the tire by pulling the valve stem. Inflate the tire with nitrogen and let almost all of the nitrogen out of the tire. If you let it all out, then ambient air will be sucked back into the tire and you get no benefit. Repeat this process about three times per tire. Then you should have 99% nitrogen in the tire.

What does it do??? It helps maintain more equal tire pressures over a wider range of temps and elevations.

Did I do it? Yea, I have 3 Nitrogen cylinders sitting arround because of my racing and I get bored.:lick: Would I do it if I had to go out and buy the Nitrogen???? Nope.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The only real advantage is it keeps the inside of the tires from oxidizing. It is a waste of money to vacuum and then pressurize with N2...... Like some one said atmosphere is 78% N2. If it is free go for it but don't waste your money otherwise........

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have NitroFill in my tires, only because it was already in there from the dealer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have any friends that works at Costco have them do it, Costco fills all tires up with Nitrogen that were purchased there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My 06 300C SRT8 came New from the dealership with Nitrogen in the tires.

We had a nail in one tire and had it repaired with regular air in it.

I don't know if it still has a slow leak or what but it does show about 1-2 lbs. less pressure than the other 3 tires that have nitrogen in them and have not been repaired.

I have not had to refill the one tire but it does seem to fluctuate in pressure more than the others.

Go figure>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts