Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a stock, 2006 300C. No mods - engine, suspension or tires. I can not spin the wheels off the line without using the brakes to get them going. The way I read many posts in this forum, some of you sound like you're spraying rubber through the gears. I see low 13's in the 1/4 on many posts (I know most have the Predator Tune and CAI at least) but this seems like a pretty good stretch from my car, using only the butt dyno. Do stock 300C's spin off the line generally or is my car just slow?

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If it is a 5.7 there should be no problem. With all respect sometimes it is how it is done, Let me know the last 8 of your vin# as I am an advisor for Mopar and can tell you what to expect. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Hi All,

I have a stock, 2006 300C. No mods - engine, suspension or tires. I can not spin the wheels off the line without using the brakes to get them going. The way I read many posts in this forum, some of you sound like you're spraying rubber through the gears. I see low 13's in the 1/4 on many posts (I know most have the Predator Tune and CAI at least) but this seems like a pretty good stretch from my car, using only the butt dyno. Do stock 300C's spin off the line generally or is my car just slow?

Thanks.
ESP off?????

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Can you chirp the tires? I can easily chirp the tires anytime from a stop, on any road surface, with ESP on. To leave a 3ft or longer burn-out mark on the road requires ESP off and the right road surface.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey TZ what does the VIN have to do it with it, I am really curious. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
The last 8 of the VIN would let a Chryco flunkie look it up so they could void the warranty. Remember, you aren't supposed to be burning tire, or drag racing or modding.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Is it new? I'm not sure whether it's the adaptive throttle (and getting used to it and the car's transmission), or whether it's just me, or whether it's the car getting broken in, but mine didn't seem to really be able to do that until ~9000 miles IIRC.

That, and the tires - those OEM contis are okay for the first ~15k miles. After that, they start to become damn easy to break loose, when I had 26k on them, I romped it after stopping at a red (yes, it turned green), and when I took off, I could steal hear the tires chirping at 35mph!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ESP off. I can chirp them off the line but I can't get them spinning. The car has 45,000 kms (I bought it used from a Chrysler dealer over 6 mths ago) and runs very well otherwise.

I've owned muscle cars and a Mustang 5.0 (but that was a stick and I could rarely get it to stop spinning) in the past and consider myself a fairly good driver with some track experience.

With all due respect, I'm a little hesitant to give out the last 8 digits of my VIN.

Maybe the car's just lacking pep?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
When were the spark plugs and air filter last changed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Air filter was changed 3,000 kms ago, no idea when the plugs were last done, if ever. What is the norm for this car? This is the first used car I've bought since I was a kid. Last 5 were leases up to 50K kms and I've never changed plugs in any of them.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Turn down your ESP and try launching full throttle with the car not fully warmed up. This will tell you what to expect from a colder thermostat. It can really make a difference. Pulling fuse 11 might help also. For me, I have to be careful not to chirp the tires off the line and I don't generally bother to spin the tires off the line. What I do like to do is leave it in first gear and run it up to about 25 mph (into the torque band) and then punch the throttle. My car gives a nice patch of rubber this way and to my mind, breaking the tires loose at 25 mph is more impressive than spinning the tires from a full stop.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
PS, the performance noted above was before I got the Diablo Predator. With the Predator, it rips even better.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When my car was new I thought I had one of the weaker 5.7's. Now I have to be careful pulling away from a dead stop. If the coolant temperature is below 190, I can squeal from a roll as well, and I even get a chirp shifting to 2nd from time to time. I'm not completely stock, however. I have the superchips tuner with version 1.0 and airhammer. Once the coolant temperature gets good and hot I notice its almost impossible to break the tires loose from a roll (10mph and above) but still no problem from a stop. One early Sunday morning, when no one was around (I thought) I spun all the way down the street. Once the conti's get spinning good its hard to stop them. You just need to get on it before it gets up to normal operating temperature and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
That's why the thermostat mod is so popular!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
1) dont give out your vin.
2) esp off, shift into 1st, stomp the gas (even tho esp is off being a daimler product it really isnt completely off but you can tell it you want to have some fun by turning the steering wheel a bit.) - try it in a safe place first you dont want the car taking off in the wrong direction on the regular roads with traffic.

edit- if you cant get it that way then some good ol tire shine on your tread should help :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input. Just to clarify, my intention isn't to smoke the tires off the line like a teenager all the time. I just want to know if the performance I'm getting is indicative of the average 300C performance. I'm wondering if something isn't working properly or if this car is just weak.

Also to clarify, I do like getting sideways on occaision...:)

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
And so........are they turning and burning or not?

Eric

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a 2005. Replaced the Contis with GY treads. Anywho, I have trouble keeping it from spinning ESP or not. When I turn the ESP off they spin more. I do remember though the first year when the car was new it did not peel out as easily. Relax I am sure your car is not weak. Its strong as h$ll. Don't be giving vins out.

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
I too enjoy spinning my tires at a roll...it is actually thoroughly impressive to witness a car do that. Our old PT Cruiser could spin from a stop, but to make them spin at 30mph takes some horseradish. I didn't even think about doing it until I read it in this thread...thanks guys for lowering the life expectancy of my tires!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just curious - does it feel like the tranny is slipping when you try this??? Maybe you have a bigger issue.....
Ours will chirp the tires just taking off from a stoplight if you get in it too hard - even with the esp on, cold, hot whatever. Two different brands of tires. I have never stayed in it (tires cost too much), but it has no problem turning them without trying....no mods

1 - 20 of 45 Posts