Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put splash guards on their car and then removed them? I own a nice set that I’m having second thoughts about putting on. I know they serve a function but something about their appearance on the car seems to change the whole composition. That's just my vain opinion but I would like to hear some other opinions. Thanks.

bruno

·
Registered
98 Posts
The protection that the splash guards provides far out weigh any visual change in the vehicle. I have a neighbor that has a 300 without the guards. Just from passing my house I am able to discern chips on the rocker panels that are not on my wifes car. It you can notice chips while driving by ones house I beleive that the proctection is worth it. My wifes car does not have the paint chips because of the splash guards, IMO.

With that said the neighbors car does not get the care and protection that my wifes car gets. So the products, care, and process that I use mite also be a factor.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had mine color matched and think they look GREAT! Not to mention the appove (less dirt/less chance for rock chips)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
crhemi said:
I had mine color matched and think they look GREAT! Not to mention the appove (less dirt/less chance for rock chips)
I agree with cwcad and crhemi, mine are also painted, looks good and no mess or chips.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm one who takes immaculate care of my C and know the paint protection would be a good thing, especially with my wide tires. Maybe what I need to see are more photos of 300's with splash guards because I certainly haven't seen any on them where I live. (I do have the painted ones.)

bruno

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
If you haven't had them paint-matched, then yes... they stand out and change the look of any vehicle on which they hang. When matched to the car's color (as Avon Custom Wheels did for our Blue), they become nearly invisible and when noticed are more like WOW! When we get the Red, we will have them paint-matched again... along with the Sirius antena.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go with factory splash guards

bruno said:
Has anyone put splash guards on their car and then removed them? I own a nice set that I’m having second thoughts about putting on. I know they serve a function but something about their appearance on the car seems to change the whole composition. That's just my vain opinion but I would like to hear some other opinions. Thanks.

bruno
My black 300C has the flat-black factory guards and I wouldn't want to be without them. As others have said though, if the car is a light color you may want to have them painted. Living in the northeast, I can say they are a "must have".

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
bruno said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm one who takes immaculate care of my C and know the paint protection would be a good thing, especially with my wide tires. Maybe what I need to see are more photos of 300's with splash guards because I certainly haven't seen any on them where I live. (I do have the painted ones.)

bruno
Hey bruno, Take a look at my thread, Thanks to Zoomers, at the Zoomers vendor sec., there are good pics of my painted mud flaps

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Bob said:
Hey bruno, Take a look at my thread, Thanks to Zoomers, at the Zoomers vendor sec., there are good pics of my painted mud flaps
Thanks, Big Bob, for having the photos in your gallery. It definitely helped to see the colored guards on a vehicle the same color as mine and with the wider tires. It's just a visual thing with me, I know. I like the appearance from the rear view but I now realize it's the side view that bothers me. To me, it gives a chunky appearance to the car (IMO). At this point, I can easily say I'm not worried about all those road rocks, sand, salt, etc. in my part of California. Guess I will still think about it. But, thanks to all who offered advice!

bruno

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just installed a set of color matched on my car this past weekend. I actually think they enhance the look of the car. I never would have thought that one, I would put mud flaps on any of my cars, and two, say that they actually look good. Heres a pic.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Yeah, this is a tough one for me, don't really think I personally like the way these "guards" look :puppy_dog

They look (if i may be so bold, sorry guys...cheap!) and as B pointed out, stick out in an a-symetrical way, a bit...odd.

I know protecting your cars paint is a paramount protocol...but I just don't know if putting these on is worth it???

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GS163,
First of all, your C looks great! I suppose one can say it does enhance the looks of the car. The more I look at your side view, the more the rear guard bothers me because it's just too bulky looking, IMO.

Thanks for posting your photo, though!
bruno

·
Registered
98 Posts
Village Idiot! said:
but I just don't know if putting these on is worth it???
$60.00 now or $600.00 or more for paint chip repair later. It may not be worth it to you but it certainly is money well spent for me to preserve the paint of my vehicle. Looks not withstanding.

·
Banned
34 Posts
cwcad said:
$60.00 now or $600.00 or more for paint chip repair later. It may not be worth it to you but it certainly is money well spent for me to preserve the paint of my vehicle. Looks not withstanding.
I trust me CW...I hear that loudly. What i've done for YEARS is glob on coat after coat of Z1 in these "pebble happy" area's...and this has had very solid results for me. I know that sooner or later it won't be enough protection, but i'm truly affraid of the "guards" having a negative visual effect on qualities of this car.

The guys putting them on are absolutely correct in doing so for the very reason they are doing so. I'm simply writing that for me...I don't know if I could live with their visual character, regardless of the benefits :pat:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well bruno,

Fortunately, the splash guards are black and so is my car, so, after awhile, they truly become unnoticeable. I had them installed (as is - unpainted) after I became tired of having my doors continually become splash catchers...especially after just spending $25 dollars at the car wash. :sad:

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr.DJ said:
Well bruno,

Fortunately, the splash guards are black and so is my car, so, after awhile, they truly become unnoticeable. I had them installed (as is - unpainted) after I became tired of having my doors continually become splash catchers...especially after just spending $25 dollars at the car wash. :sad:
Hey Mr. DJ! (that sounds like a song title)
Nice to chat with you again! You missed a nice snowfall here on Fri/Sat. Somehow, I believe that black splash guards on a black car would not be as noticeable as match-painted splash guards on a lighter colored car.
Do you really have that much grime on your dry desert roads other than the sand)?:01:

bruno

·
Registered
98 Posts
Village Idiot! said:
I trust me CW...I hear that loudly. What i've done for YEARS is glob on coat after coat of Z1 in these "pebble happy" area's...and this has had very solid results for me. I know that sooner or later it won't be enough protection, but i'm truly affraid of the "guards" having a negative visual effect on qualities of this car.

The guys putting them on are absolutely correct in doing so for the very reason they are doing so. I'm simply writing that for me...I don't know if I could live with their visual character, regardless of the benefits :pat:
I understand what you are saying. I really got the the rubes when i put on all the chrome on my wife's car. My wife likes it. Some like it some do not.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
bruno said:
Hey Mr. DJ! (that sounds like a song title)
Nice to chat with you again! You missed a nice snowfall here on Fri/Sat. Somehow, I believe that black splash guards on a black car would not be as noticeable as match-painted splash guards on a lighter colored car.
Do you really have that much grime on your dry desert roads other than the sand)?:01:

bruno
You know, it snowed there once when I lived there too many moons ago. It hasn't ever snowed here yet, except for atop the mountain range, but we do get the occasional, yet rare, rain shower. Most of the splashes result from water run-off which lays dormant within the street gutters...it takes a lot of water to keep all of these golf courses nice and green. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr.DJ said:
You know, it snowed there once when I lived there too many moons ago. It hasn't ever snowed here yet, except for atop the mountain range, but we do get the occasional, yet rare, rain shower. Most of the splashes result from water run-off which lays dormant within the street gutters...it takes a lot of water to keep all of these golf courses nice and green. :biggrin:
Maybe the golf course company would be interested in some nice splash guards. Beautiful photo, btw. Unlike many people who take the easy way up, I have backpacked up both Mt. San Jacinto and San Gorgonio at least 6 times. That particular view looks just like the one seen from my mom's home but from the other side of the mountain range!

bruno

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Bruno, assuming you have the Mopar splash guards like I do, you can install them and then later remove them without any "telltale" signs if you just plain can't live with them. On the front splash guards the directions say to drill one hole that goes into the rocker molding, but I didn't do that since it would possibly be visible if I ever took them off. The remaining screws hold them in place just fine.

On the rear I did drill the hole as directed but it would not be noticed if they are ever removed because it's on the bottom of where the rear fascia rolls under. Mine are just black and to me look fine on my Magnesium "C" - - They match the tires after all! But on a lighter car Black might be a little obvious...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts