Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a spoiler from Dealership Designs last week, and got around to installing it this weekend. I opted to just use the 3M tape and not the bolts it came with, because I hate the thought of drilling into my car.

Here is my dillema - and admittably my own mistake - when I put the spoiler on, I got it exactly centered, and then proceeded to pull the red off the tape one peice at a time. When I got everything set and pushed down I bungeed the spoiler for a few hours to add pressure.

The next day I went outside to admire it (pics soon) but being the perfectionist I am I noticed that on the passenger side edge the tape did not seat all the way. There is about a 1/8 to 1/16 in gap, and you can see that some of the foam stuck but some didnt - leaving the grey exposed. You cant even see it if you are just looking - you have to get almost even with the decklid - but it still bothers me.

Looks like what happened is the bottom tape stuck a smidge too high, and then when the top tape was pushed down, the fiberglass did not contour to the difference.

Should I let this go, and fuggetaboutit, take a brush and paint the tape with touchup, or rip the spoiler off and redo it?

It's stuck on there mighty well right now, but you never know what a spirited drive at 140 will do. I have a blower that can go 150 so maybe I do my own wind-tunnel testing...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would let it go because taking it off is going to be a bitch and like you said probably you are the only one that will notice it.Had the same problem with my rear wing,I removed it and color matched it to the car and when i installed it the left side did not take.It botherd me for a few days but now i just for got about.Just giving you my 2 cents ,if it bothers you that much take it off and try it agian.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call it OCD - I would probably do more damage taking it off than just leaving it. Thanks for the reassurance =)

·
Registered
859 Posts
How warm is it by you Pug?

The double sided tape works best when both the cars surface is hot, and
the air around the car is hot. I know that the 3M tape even states to
only use it when the outside temps are something like 70 degrees f or
more.

I would try to heat the area in question with a hairdryer for about 10
minutes if you can, and then push down on the spoiler to re-seat the tape,
and put something else on there to hold it down.

Then, while its down, heat it again for 10 or more minutes while its down.

If its cold or even cool around the car, the tape will not bond as well as
when its hot.

If there is some way that you can keep heat in the area in question for
a few hours, that would really help it. Perhaps you can set the hair dryer up
on a chair, or a sawhorse or something, and point it at the area, and just
walk away for a few hours.

Its worth a try at this point.

Jim

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get some 3M tape for my rear spoiler?? I also added the SRT8-style rear spolier about a year and a half ago. I looked at my car this morning and realized that the 3M tape on the drivers side is starting to come loose and so is the spolier. The seperation isn't much it's about 1/2 inch long and about 1/8 to 1/16 inch wide. I don't want to take the chance of having the spolier fly off while I'm driving on the highway. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know where I can get some 3M tape for my rear spoiler?? I also added the SRT8-style rear spolier about a year and a half ago. I looked at my car this morning and realized that the 3M tape on the drivers side is starting to come loose and so is the spolier. The seperation isn't much it's about 1/2 inch long and about 1/8 to 1/16 inch wide. I don't want to take the chance of having the spolier fly off while I'm driving on the highway. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Any auto parts store will have the "red back" mounting tape - its the grey foam stuff.

As far as the temp, it was a bit cool that day, but well into the 70's when I did it. I left my car out all morning to heat up. I will try the heat trick maybe with a work light or something - but to be honest the thing will not budge an inch right now - its on for good - that stuff is iron!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks Pugnacious. It's only supposed to get up to 60 degrees today here in the West Burbs of IL. I'm thinking of just getting some 3M Adhesive. I'm guessing I might have to use the blow dryer trick to make the adhesive stick.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That should work fine - the only reason I go with the foam mounting tape is I know for a fact that if you ever need to remove it the tape usually comes off without damaging the paint underneath. I have this strange obsession with only doing mods I can reverse...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts