Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm gonna start off by saying I'm not very car savvy yet at diagnosing problems, so hopefully this is something simple one of you have experienced before & can point me to the best place to start with fixing it so I don't have to replace anything unnecessary.

So long story short I bought an 06 5.7 300C off a guy back in January, and he had done some work to it in the time he owned it. However, I had my mom 3rd party the purchase for me since I was out of state, so I wasn't able to get a full list on what he's done to it. I know that it has headers, an oil catch system, CAI, and it also looks like he ran his own wire system for the plugs. It is also currently running on a 93 CAI Diablo tune. This is all I have knowledge of at the moment, so on to the problem that just started a couple days ago.

I drove all day Saturday and everything was fine, until I got home and went to leave again. When I started her up, it started as a small rough idle and then gradually increased to the point where the car was rocking. I tapped the gas and it leveled out for a few seconds, then dropped into another small rough idle. Pulling out onto the street, I tried giving it about half the pedal, which is usually enough to get my tires spinning from a stop. Instead there was like a half second delay, and instead of roaring and taking off, it just kinda chugged slowly up to 10-15, then out of NOWHERE it takes off and I'm going almost 40. Trying to ease back down to the speed limit, it kept acting like it was losing power and then it'd come back for a few seconds. It stopped briefly for most of Monday, but then it came back last night and hasn't stopped since. Basically the acceleration is a roll of the dice now, I have to be careful not to push too far down on the pedal or it does this stop/go shit, as well as the engine is idling rough enough that the car slightly rocks when not in motion.

I had it scanned and it didn't come up with anything, so I'm lost on where to start here. I did a little of my own research and apparently it could be anything from plugs to injectors to the fuel pump etc. I'd just like to know if anyone has any input/advice they could offer me or if anyone has experienced this before. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit: I'm also not sure if I posted this in the right subforum either, so my apologies in advance, I just signed up for this page a few minutes ago haha

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sounds like you have a 300C 5.7, not an SRT-8. Either way, troubleshooting posts go here: Troubleshooting Subforum

I understand that your Mom handled the purchase for you, so can you confirm that the car is definitely a 2006? The reason I ask if that you mention "spark plug wires", and those are generally only found on 2005 5.7s. If your car is a 2006 and it has them, it could be that the previous owner converted it, but that's very unusual...normally the conversions are the other way around, from wires to coil-on-plug ignition. It could point to an engine swap, and if so, that could explain the problems you're having.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm pretty positive it is an 06, at least on all the info I have. When I ran the VIN to get insurance it came up as an 06 300C so I could just be using the wrong terminology, coil on pack sounds more accurate, sorry I'm still not very knowledgeable on cars yet lol. I'm posting a picture now so you can see what I'm working with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm gonna start off by saying I'm not very car savvy yet at diagnosing problems, so hopefully this is something simple one of you have experienced before & can point me to the best place to start with fixing it so I don't have to replace anything unnecessary.

So long story short I bought an 06 5.7 300C off a guy back in January, and he had done some work to it in the time he owned it. However, I had my mom 3rd party the purchase for me since I was out of state, so I wasn't able to get a full list on what he's done to it. I know that it has headers, an oil catch system, CAI, and it also looks like he ran his own wire system for the plugs. It is also currently running on a 93 CAI Diablo tune. This is all I have knowledge of at the moment, so on to the problem that just started a couple days ago.

I drove all day Saturday and everything was fine, until I got home and went to leave again. When I started her up, it started as a small rough idle and then gradually increased to the point where the car was rocking. I tapped the gas and it leveled out for a few seconds, then dropped into another small rough idle. Pulling out onto the street, I tried giving it about half the pedal, which is usually enough to get my tires spinning from a stop. Instead there was like a half second delay, and instead of roaring and taking off, it just kinda chugged slowly up to 10-15, then out of NOWHERE it takes off and I'm going almost 40. Trying to ease back down to the speed limit, it kept acting like it was losing power and then it'd come back for a few seconds. It stopped briefly for most of Monday, but then it came back last night and hasn't stopped since. Basically the acceleration is a roll of the dice now, I have to be careful not to push too far down on the pedal or it does this stop/go shit, as well as the engine is idling rough enough that the car slightly rocks when not in motion.

I had it scanned and it didn't come up with anything, so I'm lost on where to start here. I did a little of my own research and apparently it could be anything from plugs to injectors to the fuel pump etc. I'd just like to know if anyone has any input/advice they could offer me or if anyone has experienced this before. Any and all help is appreciated, thank you!
As it started suddenly, I'd start by checking for an air leak. Has a hose come loose somewhere in the intake. Try some water/detergent spray around the intake air cleaner manifold areas. Otherwise it could be a fuel leak, but I hope you'd have seen that by now. Usually if it is coming and going, it's something come loose (like a electrical wire or air hose) rather than something expensive. Should be easy to spot and fix if you have spent time watching your engine run when it is going fine. Good luck spotting!

·
Registered
75 Posts
As it started suddenly, I'd start by checking for an air leak. Has a hose come loose somewhere in the intake. Try some water/detergent spray around the intake air cleaner manifold areas. Otherwise it could be a fuel leak, but I hope you'd have seen that by now. Usually if it is coming and going, it's something come loose (like a electrical wire or air hose) rather than something expensive. Should be easy to spot and fix if you have spent time watching your engine run when it is going fine. Good luck spotting!
That is what I would do, ie check for an air leak. But another good way to check is to get a piece of plastic tube about 3 feet long and put next to your ear. (Don't put it IN your ear, as if it seals and a huge leak, can damage ear drum!!!! I know that seems obvious, but you never know how some misinterpret etc etc :) ).

My car is a 3.5 V6; but my EGR seal split and leaked. Car ran fine; but when extended idle - suddenly very rough/set code/dash lights and stayed like that until stop/start. In other words, the computer set the car to idle rough to alert to the condition, otherwise wouldn't notice. Restart would "unset" the condition, even though EGR pipe seal was still leaking.

The "tube in the ear" found it straight away, you could hear the whoosh from the leak.

Yours is a different engine; but the "intake manifold leak/make car idle rough/car may set rough idle to alert" theory should still apply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts