Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have tried any spray on, hose off wheel cleaners. I used meguiars Hot shine spray on my grand prix with Polished wheels and when I had custom chrome wheels and it worked great and gave it an awesome Shine. Since the stock 18's are the plastic covers I was concerned if these types of sprays would not work as good on the plastic....Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I'm sure the Meguiars is similar to mine, which means it is a high concentration of Alkaline. If you remember the PH scale, lower PH is more acidic and higher PH is higher Alkalines. People don't realize that Alkalines can be aggessive cleaners. high concentration will burn your skin, so rubber gloves is recommended. YOu can use this product on any Chrome, plastic, or coated wheel. The only types of wheels you should not use it on is non-coated aluminum or alloy wheels. Always allow your wheels to cool off, never spray it on hot wheels, it can cause a quick chemical reaction. Leave it on for no more than 2 minites before rinsing. Gary

·
Registered
629 Posts
I haven't had a need for using these products on these wheels. They stay free of heavy soil and only need soap and water and light rubbing to stay clean and shined. Don't use chemicals unless you need to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have tried most of the name brand cleaners on the market, and frankly they just don't work. Maybe on a new wheel with minimal dirt, but really dirty wheels almost never come clean with just a spray on/rinse off product.

Plus you need to know if your wheels are bare aluminum or coated or painted. The product for painted/coated wheels should not be used on bare aluminum. The very outer rim of the 300C Hemi wheel at least appears to be bare aluminum, and of course the rest of the wheel is chrome plated plastic.

I would recommen you use a soft wash mit, a soapy solution (one small shot of Liquid Ivory is just fine for this) of FRESH water/soap, and dry the wheel and coat with your favorite wax.

Don't rub too hard, plastic chrome is not known for being super durable, but it may outlast chromed aluminum. Wheels lead a hard life, the easier you treat them (meaning stay away from harsh chemicals) the better. Also stay away from automatic car washes that use brushes on the wheels. Even at car washes, wheels rarely come clean, thus they have to wipe them down at the exit!

In my area of the world (Midwest rust belt) use of a full service car wash once in a while during the winter is preferable to leaving the salt/crud on the car. A good glaze and wax after spring starts can take care of any minor scratches put in by a quality full service wash.

Don

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eagle One AtoZ I found to be the best. I have tried many as I was in the carwash industry for 5 years and with all the products left behind, AtoZ was buy for the best find. It does what it is suppose to do....spray on and wash off but it did need a carwash. A regular garden hose at home did not do the trick.
Give it a try!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts