Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently have my car lowered with King Springs but I have just been given the option to be a test car for Tein Coilovers (cheap install). Is there any benefit in getting coilovers instead of lowered springs?

Justin

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi All,

I currently have my car lowered with King Springs but I have just been given the option to be a test car for Tein Coilovers (cheap install). Is there any benefit in getting coilovers instead of lowered springs?

Justin
Justin, coil overs are the go IMO, I would say one of the best benefit would be you can adjust the ride height to your desire and change it when needed to do so, they are a usally more compact also and no doubt then would weigh less.

Are they fitting coil overs all round? cheap install aye, their not interested in doing 2 cars are they? supply of coil overs only.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Yes! Do it, especially if it's free! Besides the ability to adjust your height, you can also purchase their EDFC kit which will allow you the ability to adjust your dampening features on the fly (various adjustment from sofft to firm). The kit can be easily installed under your dash or right inside your center console (like member Mighty Noid did in his Charger over a year ago).

If you enter "TEIN" into the search feature, you will find lots of information.

Here are some specs for you:

http://www.tein.com/price/chrysler.html

bruno

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a set of the Eibach springs for a while but have since changed over to coil overs...these along with the sway bars have tightened up the ride and there's alot less of that leaning over when going around corners.

My 2c anyways... :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Unfortuantly I don't think I can leagally get the EDFC kit in Aus as we aren't allowed to be able to modify the suspension from inside the car.

Damn restrictive laws.

I believe they are going to do the coilovers all round.....just waiting for them to call me back so thought I would find out if I even wanted them first :) Didn't want to spend extra money if I was getting nothing better than the lowered springs I already have :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats the go mate. What brand coil overs did you get ?and how much did they set you back?
I got the MOPAR coilover kit. These are apparently K&N version 1 coilovers, just with some blue bits and a Mopar logo on them. :)

Along with the sway bar kit and installation I think these cost me close to three grand. It was a while ago though and I try to forget how much I spend on my ride...:pat:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Tein are the bomb, Excellent quality product. Coil overs in a big car are great, but in something more compact, they detroy your kidneys lol.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would do it if its cost price for the bits and FREE installation.

Otherwise hit us up for some Air :) [email protected]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks guys,

Unfortuantly I don't think I can leagally get the EDFC kit in Aus as we aren't allowed to be able to modify the suspension from inside the car.

Hey, Pus, that'd make the Holden GTS, Astons, Range Rovers, top spec Citoens, Porsches et al. all illegal in Oz...(good, more space for our 300's).

I think you can fit this, Herrod Motor Sports do Tein's for Falcons...

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's interesting... My other ride is a Lexus LX470... guess what it has... Hydraulic suspension. You can raise and lower it by around 6 inches from it's super low to it's super high point... it even raises and lowers itself depending on your driving and the conditions... maybe it simply needs to be adr'd or engineered and as the factory does that when they import/build them, it is ok? maybe you can fit airbags and have the car engineered with them? how can trucks have air bags fitted afterwards if they are illegal? what a can of worms...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
When I was looking at doing air suspension this is a document I found:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/res...icle_Replacement_Suspension_Modifications.pdf

The way I read this the only way you could have air suspension in QLD is if you could not change the ride height.....there goes half the fun. Unless you can prove it is needed to load disabled passengers and then you may get special clearance.

I would say this is the same for having coilovers adjustable from in the vehicle.

Maybe the cars that do have this functionality get around it by comeing that way from factory.

Mind you the QLD Transport Modification booklet says the following about suspension. The last paragraph seems to imply you can so air bags in certain setups.

Lowering or raising of vehicles​
The road clearance of a fully laden vehicle must not be
less than 100mm measured at any part of the vehicle
other than the wheel rim or brake backing plates.
(This does not apply where a lesser clearance has been
specified by the manufacturer.)
When lowering or raising a vehicle body (front or rear),
the following additional restrictions are based on the
manufacturer's dimensions for the standard unmodified
vehicle while unladen:​
•​
The ride height measured between the rubber bump
stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced
by no more than one third.

•​
The rebound travel measured between the rubber
rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop
(or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles
without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no
more than one third.

6 7​
•​
Coil springs are to remain in locating seats on full
suspension droop without forcibly being removed.
In addition, the normal relationship between the front
and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected.
Replacement springs (shorter or taller) must have the
same or greater load capacity as the original springs.
Suspension coil springs must not be shortened by cutting
or heating. Leaf spring suspensions must not be raised
by the use of extended shackles, adjustable metal plates
or by placing the leaf springs to the opposite side of the
axle. If lowering blocks are used, they must be either
steel or aluminium.
Airbag or air pressurised shock absorber helper springs
may be fitted in addition to the original suspension.
However, replacing some or all of the suspension system
with an air or hydraulic suspension requires specific

approval.

·
Registered
97 Posts
that says to me that air or hydraulic replacement is ok with approval (engineers cert?). qld is very different to vic tho. might have to investigate locally...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Specific approval...

I am guessing...

Cant be operated while car is moving
Must be all DOT approved
etc

I cant believe its illegal all together as one of my suppliers moved up there..

Oh wells.

So you going with the Teins?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will keep trying to find out about air but it is pretty hard getting answers back from qld transport.

Not going with teins atm as they didn't have any in the country to do the r&d with. My car is going in on the 26th to be used as r&d for some polyurethene (speling?) bushes. When the teins get into the country if they call me back I will consider it again then :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
coming from a ricer/boi racer background =p hehe coilovers are the way togo, handles alot better and more stiff and less body roll... but you do lose more of the soft ride even if the damper is set on soft. good thing abt tiens are that they are rebuildable at fulcrum here is brisbane... which ones are you getting? SS or the flex?

if your just going for looks and slightly better improved handling, springs and get set of shocks are good for daily driving

but end of the day id still go the coilovers.. cause sometimes those corners just look soo damn good if you know wat i mean!! haha and thats my 2c

1 - 20 of 29 Posts