Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Chrysler 300 which has developed a very loud and annoying squeak/rattle on the passenger side area of the dash/pillar.

The noise is noticeable when going over bumps, however, once on the freeway at speeds above 60 mph the sound is pretty consistent. The sound definitely gets louder and more persistent as speeds increase. It seems like I should remove the A Pillar trim to expose what may be the cause, however, with the side curtain airbags I am worried about doing this.

Has anyone diagnosed a noise from this area of the vehicle or removed the A Pillar / front dash trim and can provide any help with working around the air bag?

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I have a damn rattle from the passenger side of the dash which can be eliminated with a thumb on the SRS symbol. If something behind the A pillar trim is causing yuour rattle, I can attest to the fact that it's easy to pull that off. Just start by pulling off the door molding next to it, and you can work it off with your fingers. (I had to do that to replace my dash speakers.) There is nothing in there that will explode on you, unless a LOT of changes occurred since 2012. There is one connection (forget what it's for) that can be removed to take it off completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Chrysler 300 which has developed a very loud and annoying squeak/rattle on the passenger side area of the dash/pillar.

The noise is noticeable when going over bumps, however, once on the freeway at speeds above 60 mph the sound is pretty consistent. The sound definitely gets louder and more persistent as speeds increase. It seems like I should remove the A Pillar trim to expose what may be the cause, however, with the side curtain airbags I am worried about doing this.

Has anyone diagnosed a noise from this area of the vehicle or removed the A Pillar / front dash trim and can provide any help with working around the air bag?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you ever find out what it was it’s bothering me so much? 2016 Chrysler 300

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Did you ever find out what it was it’s bothering me so much? 2016 Chrysler 300
I'm not um97ntl, but I can update you on my situation. I never got the dash rattle on my 2012 fixed, and I traded it in on a 2020 which has no rattle. (The 2012 didn't either until about 25K miles.) This might help you to diagnose your issue. For the 2012:
  1. My dash rattle only occurred when I had a passenger (and ran over bumps).
  2. A passenger can stop the rattle if they push on the embossed SRS near the air vent with their thumb.
  3. Multiple dealers didn't want to deal with it, or couldn't reproduce it, and told me I had to take the dash completely out.
  4. One dealer caught it in the act and tightened up the bolts holding the dash in place, and that accomplished nothing.
  5. At one point at well over 100K miles (don't remember exactly) the dealer replaced the passenger air bag without taking out the dash completely. This fixed my rattle for about a month, but then it returned. So, it's clear to me that you don't really have to take the entire dash out to fix this.
  6. One service manager, where they did the air bag recall, when hearing of this, told me to bring it back when he could keep it for awhile. He was replaced with another service manager. :cry:
I note from my remarks above, a comment about the A-pillar cover removal. The removal of that cover is trivial on a 2012. But I went to replaced the dash speakers in my 2020, but I couldn't get past step 1! The door molding simply does not want to come off. What did they do? Glue it on the door frame flange?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Did you ever find out what it was? I have same year and the same problem very annoying.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good luck chasing rattles and squeaks on these cars. They are noisy as hell mostly.

We have a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT in our stable....was the wife's daily driver until recently and now the 16 year old boy will drive it. There is an intermittent loud squeaky noise that comes from the dash (driver side A pillar) when it's cold outside. It won't do it when it's warm out - I'm guessing material expansion and such with warmer temps. I could never figure out how to get it to go away. I even smashed compressible material in between the dash and the windshield in multiple spots at times. This seemed to help but it never truly went away.

Now here's the kicker. I now have a 2018 Chrysler 300S. Basically the same setup in the interior, as they haven't changed it over the years much, and the Dodge side was fairly similar. I have the EXACT SAME SQUEAKY NOISE on my car that the Charger has still to this day.

If I push on the dash towards the front of the car I can get it to go away. I can only KEEP it away with pressure on the dash in this manner.

Design issue.

I ain't pulling the entire dash assembly out of these cars to try to find it. It isn't worth THAT much to me, although it drives me batshit crazy at times.

Reactions: TheKrell
1 - 7 of 7 Posts