·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My friend has a 2006 300 with 26k miles. He has developed a
squeaking noise when the front brakes are applied. I was going to
apply some brake quiet to the back of the shims but found out that
they are riveted to the pads, so I can't do much about applying some extra brake quiet to them

I think from what I remember the noise began when we had to replace
the front rotors as they were warped. Problem is that he replaced them with some aftermarket ones not sure of what name they were but they were cheap, like 2 for $90. Could it be the brake material is reacting with the rotors causing this issue? He does a lot of heavy braking so if he needs to get higher quality rotors, what should he get?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While this may be true, although never having to do this in the past on any of my cars, you may not have seen that these are the pads directly from the factory. Also do you think that dealers/shop actually do this when they install new pads for customers? If it was truly needed wouldn't you think that there would be a line of customers coming back with complaints which would cause the dealers/shops to eventually change to doing it?

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Ask anyone who had the original SRT8 OEM pads from the factory about brake squeal. All I can say is try it. You have nothing to lose.

Bernie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ask anyone who had the original SRT8 OEM pads from the factory about brake squeal. All I can say is try it. You have nothing to lose.

Bernie
He doesn't have the SRT8, just the base model. Is the issue the same on the base model?

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
He doesn't have the SRT8, just the base model. Is the issue the same on the base model?
Brakes are brakes! They all need to have this done. Most dealers will tell you not to do it because it'll warp your rotors. Not true at all. Take the advice of someone who's a brake expert (DaveZ) and do it regardless of what braking system you have.

What the process is doing is transferring a thin layer of pad material onto the rotors. This will improve braking and elliminate squeal. If done right as per the instructions it's completely safe to do. In other words, don't knock it till you try it!!!

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
I just wanted to add this applies to all brake systems, not just performance ones. Jesus, even Fred Flinstone did it to his sandle system and reduced his stopping distance by 3 rockfeet...haha.

Bernie

·
Registered
979 Posts
Brakes are brakes! They all need to have this done. Most dealers will tell you not to do it because it'll warp your rotors. Not true at all. Take the advice of someone who's a brake expert (DaveZ) and do it regardless of what braking system you have.

What the process is doing is transferring a thin layer of pad material onto the rotors. This will improve braking and elliminate squeal. If done right as per the instructions it's completely safe to do. In other words, don't knock it till you try it!!!

Bernie
well i followed the how to word for word and warped the crap out of my rotors was not worth it at all...now when i apply the brake my foot vibrates on the brake pedal. I am sure now i got ruined rotors and probably pads since they are shaking like this. Maybe its a small percentage who warp the rotors but take caution at doing this. Maybe i made a mistake but bedding the pads does make the rotors super hot you will actually smell the pads if your window is rollled down so one small mistake and you will have warped rotors. SO buyer beware

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, whole bunch said here. squealing is usually cause by rotor/drum glaze. sanding the rotor/drum will get rid of the noise for about....that long, but it does work. get rid of the shine gets rid of the squeal. the different composites made up by the pad manufacturers and the biggest problem. performance pads work better, makes dust on your rims quickly & wear quick, but wont make noise. i prefer ebc just because they're not hard to get and good performance pad. since it sounds like your going to be doing a brake job now with rotors. make sure the pads are beveled. if they aren't get a better pad. at least you'll see what the bevel is about. the bevel keeps the pads from vibrating. sometimes this is what your hearing. the pad vibrates so fast it sound like a squeal. the motorhead that beds his brakes is a true motorhead and probably has to do that just for that 10th of a second lap time. most everything is, you get what you pay for. sometimes not even that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts