Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Squeal at idle any one find a fix yet?? Please Help!!

I have had the squeal at idle since the car was new,always after the car has been driven.This problem has just recently has gotten worse(louder and more common)I now have 4500 miles on the car.Every SRT I have seen has this problem at one time or another.It does go away with a quick blip of the throttle but it is becoming annoying.I was wondering if any one has found the problem and/or a fix.I tried searching but did not find any new info on this problem.I just would like to have as much information as possible before I visit my local dealer so I can point them in the right direction and speed up my down time.Any info is greatly appreciated and thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
113 Posts
are you talking about this weird buzzing sound at idle? I blip the throttle just a tiny bit and it goes away. Its very weird, my car only has 1300 miles on it. I guess I feel better knowing mine is not the only one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like your fan belt is giving problems. Buy some belt dressing at any auto part house and spray it on all the belts under the hood. The other problem it could be is the power steering unit. Check the fluid level on it. If you still have a problem, its time for the service department. Cecil........

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
300CSRT said:
I have had the squeal at idle since the car was new,always after the car has been driven.This problem has just recently has gotten worse(louder and more common)I now have 4500 miles on the car.Every SRT I have seen has this problem at one time or another.It does go away with a quick blip of the throttle but it is becoming annoying.I was wondering if any one has found the problem and/or a fix.I tried searching but did not find any new info on this problem.I just would like to have as much information as possible before I visit my local dealer so I can point them in the right direction and speed up my down time.Any info is greatly appreciated and thanks in Advance!
The 5.7's do this too. When I first started to look at these cars, I came across one that made this noise as well. I didn't buy it just because of the noise because I thought something was wrong with it. I then bought a different one, and that one too started to make the noise. Now, my SRT makes the noise every so often. It doesn't bother me at all, so I don't mind. 300CSRT,try not to sweat the small stuff on this one:01: Maybe it's all those horses breathing in there:sly:

Moose.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
freakyshiat said:
are you talking about this weird buzzing sound at idle? I blip the throttle just a tiny bit and it goes away. .
Yes this is the same problem I have.It happens pretty much every time I drive the car now.Mine is definetly getting worse though,it takes more throttle to make it go away and is louder than before.Obviously I am not the only one with the problem but I haven't heard of anyone being able to pinpoint the problem to fix it.I know it is a small problem but I is very annoying to me.Besides it looses its sleeper status when people hear it at a stoplight,it sounds like I have a supercharger:pat:

·
Registered
226 Posts
:stupid: Exactly what I was thinking. Definitely sounds like a supercharger under there. Not offensive and can't hear it inside at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
cvp33 said:
:stupid: Exactly what I was thinking. Definitely sounds like a supercharger under there. Not offensive and can't hear it inside at all.
Well, that's nice of you guys.

But, you don't hear this kind of noise on a Mercedes or a BMW or a Lexus. I don't want to hear a "rice-burner fake" supercharger on my SRT-8. :puppy_dog

Next time I am at the dealer, I will be bringing it up with the service department. It may be a problem that they can fix!

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Driven2WIN said:
Well, that's nice of you guys.

But, you don't hear this kind of noise on a Mercedes or a BMW or a Lexus. I don't want to hear a "rice-burner fake" supercharger on my SRT-8. :puppy_dog

Next time I am at the dealer, I will be bringing it up with the service department. It may be a problem that they can fix!
Not true for me, Driven2WIN. I have owned BMW's and Range Rovers and had 'other' noises coming from the engine compartments. Non-intrusive, noises that is. Keep in mind; you own a well-engineered engine, called Hemi that is a piece of machinery different than all others...in some ways. They will take on their own little noises from time to time. It's the mechanical breakdown noises that you need to worry about. Another thing to think about. Sometimes when you try to have something fixed that really doesn't need to be fixed, the boys end up fowling something good on your car that you can never get back into place.

Moose.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Driven2WIN said:
Let us know what you find out. If I make it first, I will do the same.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This was discussed (not at any length unfortunately) in the last SRT Q&A. The engineer knew nothing about it. Someone else mentioned the alternator. They may have even swapped it out but I don't think it solved the problem. And now that I think about it as I type, I think someone even narrowed it down to the alternator via a stethescope. This makes the most sense to me because if you rev slowly as opposed to a blip, you hear that the noise matches the revs.

I wouldn't put belt dressing on. That stuff is messy and this doesn't seem to be belt related.

This should be pushed harder as a topic in the next Q&A.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
qictrk said:
Sounds like your fan belt is giving problems. Buy some belt dressing at any auto part house and spray it on all the belts under the hood.

I would definitely NOT spray belt dressing on the belt- - this will just attract dirt will actually CAUSE your belt to squeel worse long term.

This noise , whatever it is, is a well documented "SRT8" quirk... my dad's did it, when he first got his car back in August that was my first post in this forum....asking if anyone else had this noise....I got a FLOOD of "yes" replies.... most people said it went away after a few thousand miles. My dad's car only has 1300 miles on it now but I don't think his does it anymore either. I didn't notice it when I changed the oil for him at 1100 miles.

I've never heard a similar noise on my 300C 5.7 - - seems to be exclusive to the SRT8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts