Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was curious as to why my car does this, it seems like it squeaks until the wheel/brakes do one full rotation going in reverse backing out of a parking space/drive way. Any idea as to why? I was thinking it was just pad material on the rotors, and going in reverse just "scrapes" it off? idk

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
Can't say I ever heard of those exact symptoms, but it sounds like you need to bed your brakes - Instructions for bedding in your brakes. Brake squeal is very common with the SRT8 OEM brakes though.

Bernie

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's only when reversing out of a space or my garage. Normal driving is fine, no squeaking sounds at all

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your pads -- the pads have "squealers" for lack of a more technical term, that scrape the rotor when they need replacing.

Happened to me at about 16-17K miles.

Here's a pic of my old pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your pads -- the pads have "squealers" for lack of a more technical term, that scrape the rotor when they need replacing.

Happened to me at about 16-17K miles.

Here's a pic of my old pads.
But for it to only happen in reverse? You sure? My car's an 08 with 3k miles on it today... don't think the pads wore down that low in that short of time...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

My car does this only in reverse and only after I have washed the car and put it in the garage overnight. I think it has something to do with the water / moisture on the rotors.

Perhaps in your case there may be some sort of condensation on your warm rotors / brakes and air moisture.

This at best is just a guess.

My car is srt8 300 and 9500K on it.

Cheers

Ritchie

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
if...

if your car has a pair of "high iron" rotors, they may be rusting. This can happen in a few hours in the right conditions.

Goes away nearly instantly.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I get it, too, but only on wash days as was mentioned above. It sometimes happens but not nearly as loud upon first start like you mentioned but I feel it may just have something to do with the way the pads "score" in the rotors and the way the brakes are stopping the car in a different direction than normal, hence no squeal going forward. This is a highly unscientific guess but who knows?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts