Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered, since the SRT-8 brakes will have parts numbers , will we eventually be able to order the whole kit through our DC Parts counter?

the reason I ask is since the Wildwood setups are quite expensive is there a chance that the Brembo SRT-8 package will be more affordable?

Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
brembo's tend to be better and more expensive than willwood in my experience, but since it might be through DC we may be lucky!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
415_300C said:
brembo's tend to be better and more expensive than willwood in my experience, but since it might be through DC we may be lucky!
The OEM Brembos are not their racing quality calipers and/or rotors. Wilwood (with the help of distributors), StopTech among others concentrate on aftermarket racing applications not catering to OEM manufactures. With that being said, the brembo brakes that come with most OEM applications are not as nice as thier or other aftermarket kits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
aspendog said:
The OEM Brembos are not their racing quality calipers and/or rotors. Wilwood (with the help of distributors), StopTech among others concentrate on aftermarket racing applications not catering to OEM manufactures. With that being said, the brembo brakes that come with most OEM applications are not as nice as thier or other aftermarket kits.
I second that, drive any car with OEM Brembo kits and you'll see they are most often no different than other OEM applications.

The Infinity G35 and Nissan Z comes to mind...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
The OEM applications tend to have 1-piece rotors, rather than floating rotors. And they tend to be smaller than the aftermarket alternatives. They are almost never less expensive to add on to the "lesser" models than an aftermarket big brake kit, unless you are lucky enough to find a wrecked car and buy the parts used. For example, the 1-piece rotors for the Nissan 350Z Track Model are about $500 EACH at your local Nissan parts counter!

There are rare exceptions to this. In 1993, Ford introduced the Mustang Cobra R, which came with much better 4-wheel disc brakes than the regular Fox chassis Mustangs with rear drum brakes. A few years later, Ford Motorsports offered a brake upgrade kit called the M2300K for just $1200, which included 13" front rotors and 2-piston PBR calipers, new SN95 steering knuckles and hub assemblies, a new master cylinder, bigger brake booster, new rear axels, rear disc brake conversion, parking brake cable, and tons more stuff. I've never seen so much hardware (and so badly packed!) for so little money.

When I was at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, I spoke with a Chrysler engineer in Mopar Alley, right next to the SRT-8 on display. He told me the SRT-8 uses different knuckles than the normal 300C. That probably means two things:
  • The StopTech and Brembo big brake kits for the 300C will not fit the SRT-8
  • The SRT-8 brakes will not fit the 300C
There's always a chance they will fit. But it's not a sure thing. I'll be investigating this when I get my hands on an SRT-8 and will let you know what I discover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
When I first read about the SRT-8 they mentioned that it has 20" wheels to accomodate the Brembo brakes. So I would certainly assume that it wouldn't be as easy as buying them and putting them on; at least with the stock sized 18" wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Sorry, one more thing; I HATE IT WHEN I DO THIS. I think that the rotors are larger also, that would explain why the 300C, and the SRT-8 will not fit each other.
I do believe though that if you have 20" wheels on your "C: that you can change the whole set rotors/pads/calipers for a SRT-8 and install on your "C"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
Model 57 said:
Sorry, one more thing; I HATE IT WHEN I DO THIS. I think that the rotors are larger also, that would explain why the 300C, and the SRT-8 will not fit each other.
I do believe though that if you have 20" wheels on your "C: that you can change the whole set rotors/pads/calipers for a SRT-8 and install on your "C"
The issue is that the KNUCKLES on the SRT-8 are different than the knuckles on the regular 300C. That means the brake mounting location is physically different between the two cars. Thus it is possible that you can't bolt the SRT-8 brakes onto a 300C regardless of what wheels you use.

It's the same with many other models. The BMW M3 uses different knuckles than the rest of the BMW 3-Series models. You cannot bolt M3 brakes onto any other 3-Series model. However, you CAN bolt the 330i brakes onto a 323i, since the 323i and 330i share the same knuckles. The M3 knuckles are unique to that model.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Dave, what are these knuckles (do you have a pic) and can the SRT-8 knuckles be upgraded on the regular models. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
DZechhousen; Thanks for clearing that up. I admit that I am a bit of a novice about this car, but I'm working on it. I should know something about it by the time mine gets here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
steve 300c said:
Dave using the StopTech brakes and rotors how does it affect the ESP and/or the ABS and is it as touchy as some people say.
The StopTech brake system was carefully engineered and tested to make sure it worked well with the factory ABS and dynamic stability control. You can check out my "diary" of a test day in California a couple years ago when the 350Z was first coming out: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm. That will show you some of the test methodology to ensure the brakes work well with the vehicle electronic control systems.

I've had plenty of opportunities to play with the StopTech 300C 4-wheel kit in snow over that last couple weeks. And it works great. Firm pedal, easy modulation, and the ESP works the same as it did with the stock brakes. It makes me wonder how we ever got along before stability control systems.

You mentioned some people say it is "touchy." That's how one would describe an overamplified system with caliper pistons that were too big for the rotor size. That's not at all how one would describe the 300C kit. There's no nose dive and the brakes are easily controlled. Anyone within driving distance of NJ is welcome to stop by and try it out. Who says it is touchy? I haven't heard anyone describe a StopTech kit that way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
E55 KEV said:
Dave, what are these knuckles (do you have a pic) and can the SRT-8 knuckles be upgraded on the regular models. Thanks.
The knuckle (or "upright" or "kingpin") is the Grand Central Station of the front suspension. It's the chunk of iron or aluminum that the wheel bearings, sway bar end links, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, and shock absorber all attach to.

At this point, I don't know how many suspension components are unique to the SRT-8. So I can't yet tell you if we can swap out the 300C knuckles for SRT-8 knuckles without also changing a dozen other components. I expect this will all be well understood within the next six months or so.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,583 Posts
Brakes

I have to admit I know absolutly nothing about brakes other than hopefully they're supposed to stop you when necessary. I have a few questions however. On the Chrysler SRT site under handling, they state:

SRT6 Crossfire 60-0 mph is 115'
300C SRT8 60-0 mph is 110'

On the Dodge site:

Viper 60-0 mph is 97'
Ram SRT10 60-0 mph is 118'
SRT4 60-0 mph is 118'

I couldn't find anything for the 5.7L 300C stopping distance, but it seems to me that the Crossfire and the SRT4 should have a lower number than the 300C SRT8 given that they are lighter. Either that or the 300C SRT8's brakes are far superior to their braking systems. Are there any 60-0 stopping distances available for the 5.7L 300C?

Rambit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
SRT8 & 300c brakes

Rambit said:
I have to admit I know absolutly nothing about brakes other than hopefully they're supposed to stop you when necessary. I have a few questions however. On the Chrysler SRT site under handling, they state:

SRT6 Crossfire 60-0 mph is 115'
300C SRT8 60-0 mph is 110'

On the Dodge site:

Viper 60-0 mph is 97'
Ram SRT10 60-0 mph is 118'
SRT4 60-0 mph is 118'

I couldn't find anything for the 5.7L 300C stopping distance, but it seems to me that the Crossfire and the SRT4 should have a lower number than the 300C SRT8 given that they are lighter. Either that or the 300C SRT8's brakes are far superior to their braking systems. Are there any 60-0 stopping distances available for the 5.7L 300C?

Rambit
Your last statement is correct, despite extra weight SRT8 brakes overall superior to SRT6 and SRT4, grippier tires and road surface type & condition play a factor too at the outer limits of braking. Sticky tires can stave off ABS intrusion into the stop, giving max stopping grip, and shorter distances.

60-0 300c
Motor Trend 122' Road & Track 126'

Zilla
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
Rambit said:
Are there any 60-0 stopping distances available for the 5.7L 300C?
Yes, there are stopping distance numbers available for the 300C. As part of the development of their front and 4-wheel brake kits, StopTech conducted extensive testing of this platform. They measured stopping distances on the stock brakes to obtain a baseline, then they measured stopping distances with front and 4-wheel big brake kits installed. These tests were conducted on the same car, same day, same test driver and at the same track. The stock Continental ContiTouring Contact tires were used.

Ten stops each were performed from 60mph, 80mph, and 100mph. Each stop was measured with a stationary radar gun, feeding data into a laptop. Accuracy of the test fixture has been confirmed to less than 2 tenths of an inch.

The average stopping distance for each of the three speeds is:

60-0 mph
  • Stock: 124.50 feet
  • StopTech front brake kit: 121.77 feet
  • StopTech 4-wheel kit: 120.44 feet (4.06 feet better than stock)
80-0 mph
  • Stock: 221.57 feet
  • StopTech front brake kit: 214.22 feet
  • StopTech 4-wheel kit: 211.07 feet (10.5 feet better than stock)
100-0 mph
  • Stock: 343.90 feet
  • StopTech front brake kit: 337.56 feet
  • StopTech 4-wheel kit: 327.16 feet (16.74 feet better than stock)

For more details on the test methodology, you can check out my write-up at: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top